New Product Availability

Curt

New Product Availability
« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2006, 12:24 pm »
Quote from: HChi
Hello Curt,
It is nice to hear that everything is progressing well.  When Purist 2.0 upgrade is available, please contact me.  The recent upgrade of amps with high gain and sensitivity cause the audible hissing when putting the ear close to the speakers.  I am glad to hear the new revision lower the noise level even further.

I hope the pink noise generator is staying.  I have been using it to burn in my new amps and tube preamp.  I really like it.

I know there is slight voltage dropped during the pre ...

Hello Howard,

It's nice to hear from you. Thanks for your kind words and for your input.

I too find the PN generator quite useful. I like using it to help setup the listening room and for finding the best loudspeaker positions. It is especially useful in bi/tri-amp systems for setting driver levels. It will remain in the Purist 2.0 design. Hopefully more people will learn what it can do for them.

That slight voltage shift (about 1/2V) happens when you turn the Purist off, not on. The DC offset servo cap is discharging. This is not a problem in most systems as most people turn off the amps first then the sources and then the preamp (IRDs recommended sequence). Adding circuitry to stop this would be adding circuitry in the signal path and could adversely effect the sound.

As for amplifier manufacturers that tell you to leave their amps on all the time (which IRD doesn't recommend) they should then offer a mute switch to protect the amplifier's input from natural input spikes such as power mains wiring induced spikes, lightning induced spikes, and yes, even other equipment's on-off transients.

It is IRDs position that an open amplifier input (on all the time) is an accident waiting to happen. That accident might not just be fried amplifiers it could also extend to include blown drivers in a very expensive loudspeaker system.

Caution and safety with a large investment such as in high-end audio is never a bad thing. IRD knows there are many schools of thought and respects most of them, please understand that this is just IRDs opinion on this issue. Food for thought.

The Purist doesn't have a volume level pot. It has a volume level “ladder step attenuator” which will remain in the Purist 2.0 revision. We believe the ladder step attenuator is far superior to a pot.

The input selector and gain selector switches will remain the same with a few added positions on the gain selector to select the new available lower gains.

DaveX

New Product Availability
« Reply #21 on: 24 Mar 2006, 04:45 pm »
Hi Curt, I've got my finger on the button ready to order the new Purist 2.0 using your online Secure Order Form, however, I note that the order form still lists the old Purist LLC in Silver and not black. Will you have time to update your website for ordering the new Purist 2.0. Thanks.

Curt

New Product Availability
« Reply #22 on: 24 Mar 2006, 07:20 pm »
Quote from: DaveX
Hi Curt, I've got my finger on the button ready to order the new Purist 2.0 using your online Secure Order Form, however, I note that the order form still lists the old Purist LLC in Silver and not black. Will you have time to update your website for ordering the new Purist 2.0. Thanks.

Hi Dave,

We are talking about the on going Purist R&D. Revision 2.0 has not been released yet. It will be a while before this model becomes available. We have to tool up the new PCB, order some parts, build them, and then ship by sea to Charlotte.

We have one Purist rev 1.01 left in stock at Charlotte NC and if your system is not high-gain amps or high-efficency (>90dB @ 1W/1m) it might be just what you need.

HChi

New Product Availability
« Reply #23 on: 28 Mar 2006, 04:20 pm »
Quote from: Curt
... It is especially useful in bi/tri-amp systems for setting driver levels. It will remain in the Purist 2.0 design. Hopefully more people will learn what it can do for them.

Indeed PN generator is very handy in system setup and burn-in process.

That slight voltage shift (about 1/2V) happens when you turn the Purist off, not on... As for amplifier manufacturers that tell you to leave their amps on all the time (which IRD doesn't recommend) they should then offer a mute switch to protect the amplifier's input from natural input spikes such as power mains wiring induced spikes, lightning induced spikes, and yes, even other equipment's on-off transients.

The amps I used have the standby switch.  To turn it completely off, I need to flip the breaker switches in the back of the amps.  It has current/voltage protective circuit on the input.  Every time I turned on and off the preamp, I saw the amps required about 10-15 secs to stablize before they allowed themselves to be turned on.  Let's why I ended up leaving Purist on all the time except when I take a long trip elsewhere.

Since all my amps I have now are arc welders, I am least worried about burned amps, though keeping the integrity of the speaker drivers are of major concern. That's why I brought up the topic in the first place.  Thanks for the clarification.

The Purist doesn't have a volume level pot. It has a volume level “ladder step attenuator” which will remain in the Purist 2.0 revision. We believe the ladder step attenuator is far superior to a pot.

It is my bad to use pot as a general term for any volume controlling mechanism.  I agree ladder step attenutors are one of the best mechanism available.   However, from time to time, I will hear static when turning/clicking up and down the volume.  The other preamp I have using DACT CT-2 (a ladder step attenuator as well) seems to be less susceptible to static noise while changing the volume.  Is there any way to improve in the step attenuator design?

I believe this was discussed before, could a more steps/clicks be implemented in the attenutator? I know it will be more expensive to make them, but I for one would be interested in paying more to have more clicks, perhaps a 45 steps! :)   It would be an optional upgrade worthy considering.

Thanks,
-Howard