Replacement Pads T90's

adydula

• Restricted
Replacement Pads T90's
« on: 7 Feb 2018, 09:55 pm »
After three years of listening with my T90's I decided to replace them with genuine pads from Beyer North America.
One phone call, $34 later and two days they show'ed up and I just finished replacing them.

I am shocked at how worn the originals were and the replacement process was straight forward but getting the new ones
took considerable force to get them around the edges if the cans. Their is a retainer clips you have to pop out to replace the
inner foam pads over the driver element. Be careful.

That all said I am amazed its like a new set of headphones! Its that dramatic IMO......the T90's with the Crack amp at the moment
are absloutely stellar, crystal clear, wonderful soundstage.

I am so impressed in this minor change that it baffles me how things can change in small ways to make things "better' perceived or not.

The best $20.17 spent!! (price for pads, sans $15 shipping!!_.

Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Replacement Pads T90's
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2018, 10:03 pm »
The new pads are angled or the T90 are angled?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2018, 10:09 pm »
Love it!  Beyer is a GREAT company to deal with.  I'll share my story too, if you don't mind.

I bought a pair of the original Beyer T1s about 6 years ago (the 'version 1').  I bought them used, and the person before me had bent the metal insert where the earcups insert into the headband.  They held up a long time but eventually gave out and snapped.  I sent it in for repair, and not only did they fix it, the replaced the padding on the headband and the padding for the earcups.  Came back basically 'all new' except for the drivers themselves. 

Fast-forward to about 2 weeks ago - I'm swapping cables and manage to remove a solder trace as well as puncture the diaphragm of the driver itself.  Oh no!!!  I'm about to send it in for repair, when I notice Beyer has replacement drivers on their site that you can purchase directly.  So I order up a pair. 

A few days later, I get an email - "Sorry sir, we're actually out of stock for the version 1 drivers, would you be OK with the v2 drivers?  They are a drop-in replacement".  Uhm, same price?  "Yes, same price".  Well OK!!! 

Got them last week and the motor and housing are all similar/the same, its very, very clear that the diaphragm material is a substantial step up in quality.  So I install/solder them in, let them burn in for a couple days and....wow - they are exactly like the old T1s except better. 

Looking at my headphones, there's almost zero original parts left on them.  I LOVE that Beyer makes their headphones so modular and supports them over the long haul.  Great company and great sounding headphones too.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2018, 10:23 pm »
Thats a great story!

The pads are exactly the same as the originals (T90's) and the drivers arent angled like with the T1's that is.

Again amazing on how well these three year old cans sound now with new pads....really funny but great to me!

The pad price was cheap to me, the shipping of $15 ? But they were here in 2 days and this is the normal UPS shipping...

Being in North Carolina and they are in Farmingdale, NY so its not that far from me.

Going back an forth with these 2 sets of cans and both are wonderful, different but great in their own.

Life is good!
Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2018, 11:51 pm »
Do you will put angled pads in the T90?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2018, 12:00 am »
Love it!  Beyer is a GREAT company to deal with. Great company and great sounding headphones too.
I cant say the same from Sennheiser.
I asked they to lend me an HD800 for 1 day(ship by mail) to me know the soundstage size of this HP, the general manager  straight flat refused and prompt want sell me an HD800 for $3000USD bank account deposit in advance.
I wonder how your service will be after the sale.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2018, 12:01 am »
Hey,

The earpads are not angled, and the foam inner pieces are not angled, the drivers from what I saw are not angled...

I guess you could get a set of after market earpads that are built different from the Beyer. adn get and angled setup.

Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2018, 12:05 am »
HifiMan site have angled pads that are velour and faux leather.
They even have plastic and alu rings to hold pads with screws.
They are not cheap as regular pads/$10 they cost over $30 pair.
Probably they fit in the T90 perfectly, as all these pads are standard.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2018, 05:21 am »
I oughta look into that. I can't abide leather/pleather pads, even on 'open' style headphones. The only closed headphones Iv
ve found tolerable for a usable tme span ere Beyers- with velour pads., so if Hifiman has a velour option, that would be good.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2018, 04:43 pm »
My Hifiman 400i's came with velour pads that are very comfortable.