Intro and ACI Jag kit question

MNEric

Intro and ACI Jag kit question
« on: 9 Oct 2017, 10:46 pm »
Hello all. I’m Eric, I’m just getting back into music and spending dedicated time listening. It’s something I’ve been missing— stress, life, etc have gotten in the way in the past. That being said, I’m pitting my system back together.  :D I’ll be using a Marantz 2275 (fully restored), an Ah! Njobe Marantz tubed CD player, and my hand built ACI Jag bookshelf speakers.

I was referred to the site by a kind soul on audiokharma, and he said I might get some good responses here. Due to the duration of time away from music, it’s been quite a long time since I considered myself knowledgeable on the inner workings of electronics, hooking them up, even the most basic things are beyond my recollection. My speakers are biwire speakers and I used to run an Onkyo Integra Integrated amp that also had biwire capability. Now with my Marantz I will only be using a single wire set up. My questions while simple, are the following: with the four posts on my ACI speakers do I need to use a jumper? If so, do I just use a section of speaker wire and connect red to red and black to black? And which set of posts do I wire the speaker wire coming from receiver to? Upper or lower?

Also, how do I know which is the right speaker, vs the left? Thanks for your patience with me on this. I realize the questions are simplistic, but I don’t really have access to the owners manual or the vendor anymore and with all the work put into these amazing speakers, I do not want to botch anything up!

Much thanks!
Eric

richidoo

Re: Intro and ACI Jag kit question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2017, 03:39 am »
My questions while simple, are the following: with the four posts on my ACI speakers do I need to use a jumper? If so, do I just use a section of speaker wire and connect red to red and black to black? And which set of posts do I wire the speaker wire coming from receiver to? Upper or lower?

Also, how do I know which is the right speaker, vs the left?

Yes, use a jumper to connect same color posts together. Then you can experiment how you connect the speaker cable to the posts. There are 4 possible ways to connect and they all sound a little different, tops, bottoms and 2 diagonals.

For jumpers you can use a short length of "speaker wire," or any good conductor 16 ga or bigger. Aftermarket jumpers are available. It makes a difference so experiment to find/make a good jumper. A thin pure copper strip is a good one, lamp-cord not so good.

Since the tweeters are off center there may be a special setup recommendation, to preserve the time alignment of the acoustic centers of the two drivers. Hopefully an ACI expert can advise you on that, or you can search the old ACI circle here on AC.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=76.0
Or post your question on there, looks like designer Mike Dzurko might still be moderating the circle. Maybe his email link (icon below his avatar) still works.

Phil A

Re: Intro and ACI Jag kit question
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2017, 02:26 pm »
Welcome.  hifiengine.com has lots of owner's manuals as well.