Fall Open House / Audio Event for GAS Major Dudes & Dudettes !

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
Ladies and Gents,  any interest in coming out to my place to take at look at my newest toys ?  I have made a couple changes to my MCH system since the last time the GASSER's were here - replacing my Vandersteen V2W single subwoofer with a 5-piece Audiokinesis SWARM subwoofer array, and I acquired a Koetsu Urushi Gold MC phono cartridge feeding an Audio Research PH-6 toob phono stage. 

Bigger news is I completely re-did my "lounge" 2-channel system and went all Class A analog with minimal amplification stages - namely 5 total from the MM phono cartridge to the speakers.  This system definitely comes alive with the right recording.  The Pass Aleph 5 and the Spendor SP-1's are a match made in heaven.  Here is a picture of the system. 

I am thinking late October - maybe Sat. Oct. 28 or Sun. Oct. 29.  Let me know your availability and preferences via PM.  I will give you my phone # and directions there !!

UPDATE:  the open house is open to all Major Dudes and Dudettes, in honor of Walter Becker of Steely Dan, who noted that a Major Dude is simply a friend who comes to your aid when life seems hopeless.  Saturday the 28th is the date, since I forgot I have tickets for the 3 pm concert of the SLSO (Beethoven's 5th) on Sunday, the 29th. 

Time will be from 2 pm until whenever.  Please RSVP your interest by this time next week via PM so I can stock adequate provisions.  (I already have a case of Yuengling lager and Bud Selevt in my icebox, so that part is covered.)
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2017, 06:24 am by dcbingaman »

sturgus

Re: Fall Open House / Audio Event for GAS Major Dudes
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2017, 06:23 am »
I think I can make it. Sunday would be better for me.

popthinker

I suppose I'm the token dudette.  :) I'll be there.

daves

I'll be there, although I think Liam will miss with a bowling tournament.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
Hi, folks.  The beer and soda is cold, I've got lots of junk food and Carroll Shelby chili to serve.  The amplifiers will be HOT !

If you like race cars, I think you are in for a treat.  I swapped the movie posters out for something a little more exciting !

See you all tomorrow at 2 pm.   

Cheers, Don Bingaman

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
I suppose I'm the token dudette.  :) I'll be there.

Indeed !!  Look forward to seeing you.

Cheers, Don Bingaman

Mr Peabody

I heard the Swarm at Axpona, it was really good, I was amazed at how seamless it was.  Interested to get a chance to hear Koetsu.

Thanks for the invite.

sturgus

Just want to say Thanks for the invite. I enjoyed seeing everyone and meeting new faces. I was really impressed with both systems. I really love the big Denon table. I am on the hunt  :D. I also would love to get one of Keith's phonostages, (Banks Beware  :green:) I have to get out to these things more. Vinyl David it was good to finally meet you. Once again thank you DC for having us.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
GASSERS, I have a large black Dunbrooke jacket someone left here today.  It marked "Shaw" on left chest side.  Come by anytime to pick it up !

Cheers, Don Bingaman (aka Binger)

daves

Hey Don, kudos for such a great afternoon of listening. With Liam distracting me, I forgot the Shaw jacket, I'll give you a ring.

Thanks again for a stellar session. The PASS/pre/and Denon was quite a hit with the Spendor SP1s!

Sgt. Peppers sounded incredible in the HT room, but I was disconcerted a little by the 5.2 remix, and hearing for the first time ever in a panoramic setting vs two channel. A very different experience than our two channel efforts, to say the least. The sound was incredibly dynamic, and with the horns and orchestration it was very lush. Great to see everyone, as well.

kentj1948

Re: Fall Open House / Audio Event for GAS Major Dudes & Dudettes !
« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2017, 04:18 pm »
Hi Don,

Thanks for hosting; it was a great afternoon.  Nice to see everyone who came.  Kent

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2017, 11:02 pm »
For those of you interested in the Aikido line stage you listened to, here is the website to order a kit.  Since I built mine, John Broskie has updated the kit with a tube rectifier and revised the B+ circuitry.  Happy building !

See: http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/ailiam.html

BTW, Keith Herron builds a wonderful tube line stage and phonostage.  If you not handy with a soldering iron, check out his great products.

Cheers, Don Bingaman

eric1

« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2017, 12:52 am »
Thanks for hosting, I had a lot of fun. It was nice to meet everyone.

Eric

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 30 Oct 2017, 08:29 pm »
It was a pleasure having all you major dudes and dudette over.  Audio can be a solitary hobby, but our hobby attracts a lot of wonderful people who all have in common, a love of music and technology.  We should get together more often, because we ALL learn something new when we get together.  For me, that is what makes life worthwhile.  Thank you all, for coming over and sharing your perspective and stories.  I deeply appreciated every one of them.

Cheers, Don Bingaman

popthinker

« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2017, 11:06 pm »
Hi, Don. Belated thanks for hosting the event. It was great to meet you and the rest of the guys. That Spendor/PASS/Denon system was quite nice for jazz!