"Cherry USB" ---- Maraschino USB to SPDIF converter

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
"Cherry USB" ---- Maraschino USB to SPDIF converter
« on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:19 pm »
We just built our first production USB to SPDIF converter.  This uses a CMedia chip, and it's plug-and-play (driver installation not necessary) for modern Windows and Mac PCs.  It supports up to 384k/32 PCM streams.  Most decent "media player" SW (like JRiver) can be used to convert DSD to high rate PCM for optimal playback on the DAC DAC.  Upstream (PC decode) MQA playback is also supported.  We use this USB converter for all our computer audio demos.  The case slimmer (a little more than an inch tall), but has the same footprint as Stereo Maraschino, 60V 1kW Maraschino Power Supplies, DAC DACs, and our new Linear Power Supply for Maraschino, for easy "stacking".  This USB converter also has anti-vibration Sorbothane feet.  List price will be $390, but price for DAC DAC owners is $100 less.  Thanks for taking a look!

« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2019, 04:01 am by AmpDesigner333 »

rodge827

Re: Maraschino USB to SPDIF converter
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2017, 01:09 am »
Sweet Tommy!  :thumb:

dburna

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2017, 02:00 am »
So USB powered (as opposed to having its own power supply)?  Do you take any steps to reduce USB noise within this unit?  Or is it just a straight pass-through of the USB signal?

Thanks,  -dB

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2017, 02:43 am »
So USB powered (as opposed to having its own power supply)?  Do you take any steps to reduce USB noise within this unit?  Or is it just a straight pass-through of the USB signal?

Thanks,  -dB
No need to clean anything up.  The SPDIF is reclocked in the DAC DAC.  Performance tests indicate 100% data accuracy.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2017, 02:44 am »
Sweet Tommy!  :thumb:
Thanks.  This is a solid product especially useful for the many DAC DAC owners out there!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2017, 02:30 pm »

Thanks,  -dB
Powered from USB, so no external power supply required.

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2017, 02:56 pm »
Will this better the Peachtree X-1 ???

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2017, 05:49 pm »
Will this better the Peachtree X-1 ???
Definitely, especially if you've been through the kind experience I had.  Driver installation nightmare plus couldn't get it to work and wound up returning it.  The Cherry USB is easy to use and we've never had a problem with dropouts (like with some other converters).  Thanks for your kind post.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2017, 08:12 pm »
Just to clarify, the Cherry USB Converter has a transformer isolated output.  All happy customers that have the pilot run units!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
New Cherry USB Photos
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2018, 06:19 pm »
New photos just in!

Matthijs Broekman

Re: "Cherry USB" ---- Maraschino USB to SPDIF converter
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2018, 05:34 pm »
The converter does look very slick in this housing. Getting mine Tuesday, looking forward to it.

LarryD56

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2018, 04:49 pm »
I was using my Asus Xonar STX soundcard (which has a SPDIF out) as a source for my DAC DAC and the sound was good, but after I put the Cherry USB converter in the system I was floored. The sound was so much more clear and precise and the harsh edge (which I was attributing to my recent expensive re-cap of my speakers) was completely gone. I feel that the sound is three times better than it was before and I didn't think that much of an improvement was possible. My wife (who is the ultimate test) even said everything sounds better now. I highly recommend the converter and am so glad I got one.

Larry D.

LarryD56

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2018, 01:01 am »
Here's what I wrote to Tommy:

"Got the USB to SPDIF converter hooked up to my DAC DAC and WOW what a difference. Super details and more smoothness. Nice! More details usually come with a bit of biting harshness, but not this time. Music sounds more realistic, so real sounding that it seems unreal.....guess I'm used to that 'recorded' sound. Anyway, I'm a happy camper."

I guess I should say I'm a VERY happy camper. No fatigue at higher volumes now. I did not realize how much my sound card was masking the music and giving it an 'edge'. This is quite an advance for my system's sound. Thank you so much!

Larry D.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2019, 02:59 pm »
We finally fixed up the Cherry USB page on our website.  We are now using this page as a template to convert other product pages to a nicer format.  The MEGAschino MK2 page is next....

Here are excerpts from our new Cherry USB page....

"Cherry USB is a USB to coax SPDIF converter. It's a plug-and-play USB device (driver installation not necessary) for modern Windows and Mac PCs.  Power is also provided through USB, so there's no need for an external power adapter. It supports sample rates up to 384kHz and up to 32 bit data. Can be used to drive any DAC with a coax SPDIF input, including the Cherry DAC DAC.  Gold Neutrik RCA output connector. Slim case (just over one inch height) has the same footprint as Cherry Stereo Maraschino, Cherry 60V 1kW Maraschino Power Supply, and Cherry DAC DAC (any version), for easy "stacking".  This USB converter also has anti-vibration Sorbothane feet. Comes with 6 foot high-speed USB 2.0 cable with gold plated connectors."

Cherry USB Features:
  • Lossless USB to coax SPDIF conversion
  • Gold Neutrik RCA output connector
  • No driver installation necessary
  • No power adapter needed
  • Up to 384k/32b
  • Slim case with standard Cherry Maraschino footprint and Anti-vibration feet
  • Electrically Isolated Output to prevent ground loops
  • USB 2.0 cable included

Here's the page on CherryAmp.com:
https://www.cherryamp.com/usb-to-spdif-converter