Tidal Hifi - 3 months free

mca

Re: Tidal Hifi - 3 months free
« Reply #20 on: 30 Nov 2017, 05:07 pm »
I did the 6 months deal through Best Buy but Tidal still charged me. Need to figure out how to contact them to get it reversed!

murphy11

« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2017, 07:19 pm »
Christmas Songs by Sinatra ordered - 3.99. Thanks for the deal  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 3 Dec 2017, 12:23 pm »
Picked up a CD at BB last Sunday and got the code.  Only my very limited knowledge made the download difficult.  But it stops and starts.  Slow service?  Wireless router too far from my computer (2 floors).   :dunno:

The good news is it's free for now. 

rikhav

« Reply #23 on: 3 Dec 2017, 01:10 pm »
Picked up a CD at BB last Sunday and got the code.  Only my very limited knowledge made the download difficult.  But it stops and starts.  Slow service?  Wireless router too far from my computer (2 floors).   :dunno:

The good news is it's free for now.

Generally with a WiFi connection there are huge data losses and as distance increases its compounded
Best is to use a wired connection from router to device specially which plays data intensive like tidal

I have all my PC's connected via Ethernet to router and believe me there is nothing better then it
We don't even need gigabit connection for smooth 2 channel music playback

JLM

« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2017, 01:22 pm »
Yes, wire is better than wireless which is why we wired 16 ethernet jacks around the house (including in my listening room), but the only ethernet port I have in my basement audio system is on my iMac which is my 'far-field' source at the back of the room.  I do all my serious (near-field) listening with my MacBook Air (which has no ethernet port).  And neither does my DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core DAC/preamp/DSP.  You're not suggesting I get up and walk 25 feet overtime I want to change the music are you?   :roll: :oops: :nono:

Wifey watches Netflix (with 'some' dropouts) from the living room which is below the open loft where the wireless router is located, so I'm guessing a repeater could solve the problem.  But I'm as computer user am dumb as a bag of rocks.   :scratch:
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2017, 10:46 am by JLM »

rikhav

« Reply #25 on: 3 Dec 2017, 01:53 pm »
Hahah
No way I will suggest you to walk 25 feet to change a track
I feel a repeater also won't make massive difference because the WiFi network would be practically used by each and every phone and tablet in the house
And plus when your WiFi watches Netflix you sure will get dropouts if you are also streaming tidal at the same time
Here the issue is not about your internet bandwith

Issue is how much data a WiFi network can send a recieve at a time
Yeah we have AC standard WiFi but that's all on paper. As I said earlier the losses compound once distance increases
Even with a repeater  don't feel it will solve the purpose
Can't you use a windows laptop that would be there at home to use tidal?
I know it's not ideal way and plus it won't be optimised
Or maybe you can ask a apple expert of a PCI express LAN card can be installed on a Mac mini
If that can be done most of your issues are solved

murphy11

« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2017, 02:18 pm »
Verizon routers have a 2g and 5g channel they appear as 2 different connections in wireless. Try 2g it is designed to offer longer range connections.

rikhav

« Reply #27 on: 3 Dec 2017, 03:11 pm »
I think it's very much possible to add a PCI express LAN card to a Mac mini. That would be a permanent solution

rikhav

« Reply #28 on: 4 Dec 2017, 03:33 pm »
My house probably not so big but faced major dropout issue when roon core connected wirelessly and roon server wired
Main router connected to wireless repeater to extend range
Room just skips the track when there is dropout
Connected the main router to secondary wired and also the room server and core
Bingo
Works as a charm

Odal3

« Reply #29 on: 5 Dec 2017, 01:46 am »
For those who got the free trial, and if you're not planning to keep it after trial is over, make sure to cancel a few days before the renewal date which I misinterpreted as the last day. Their policy is that the renewal date is the day they charge for the renewal. Think you can guess how I know this...

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #30 on: 5 Dec 2017, 01:57 am »
Yeah, I got the deal for $1.49 shipped to my door. Great tip, Thanks!  :thumb:

s20000

« Reply #31 on: 5 Dec 2017, 05:04 am »
I stumbled on to this shopping Cyber deals. Picked up Santanas greatest hit for $3.99...what a deal along with 6 months tidal Hifi...anyone know if an early cancellation doesn't impact the 6 month free subscription? I would hate to lose it but willing to wait until 5 and a half months if necessary.

I was throwing the idea of investing into a decent budget Dac for the laptop to the preamp. But the oppo 103 streams tidal with the firmware update. Win..win..

Digital and Analog both sound good to me. I did notice digital plays much louder on lower power levels on certain songs..anyone notice this?

JLM

« Reply #32 on: 5 Dec 2017, 10:55 am »
Going back off track...

Have an iMac and MacBook Air, no mini.  But wifey (not WiFi) uses a Dell.  We're rarely (never?) playing Netflix/Tidal at the same time.

Getting repeater advice and advice to upgrade service ($250 to install fiber optic which would include a newer wireless router).  Monthly fee would be the same that we're paying now but 20+ times faster.  Next door neighbor owns the fiber optic service. 

Either way looks like this free offer is going to cost me.   :roll:

bluemeanies

« Reply #33 on: 5 Dec 2017, 12:39 pm »
I have been using TIDAL for almost two years with dropouts on occasion. Nothing long term. I would say that better than 95% of playback is perfect streaming.
I have Comcast and I use APPLE AIRPLAY...hard wired with an Ethernet cable. My modem/router from Comcast was just replaced. I did the install myself otherwise like everything no service is FREE.

Some things of importance about TIDAL...if your are having streaming issues via wi-fi you may want to clear your browser and shutdown your device and restart. Even deleting the APP and reinstalling helps. In my case I use the APPLE iPad but as mentioned I do not use wifi with TIDAL.

Lastly, something of financial value

audio.bill

« Reply #34 on: 5 Dec 2017, 02:34 pm »
I stumbled on to this shopping Cyber deals. Picked up Santanas greatest hit for $3.99...what a deal along with 6 months tidal Hifi...anyone know if an early cancellation doesn't impact the 6 month free subscription? I would hate to lose it but willing to wait until 5 and a half months if necessary.
Just a clarification regarding this offer, my understanding is that it's for 6 months of Tidal's basic service or 3 months of their Hi-Fi tier. I've also read that you can cancel at any time and your remaining free subscription will continue until expiration, but don't know if it's worth taking a chance on that. Just setup a reminder to cancel it a week or two before it expires.

rikhav

« Reply #35 on: 5 Dec 2017, 07:59 pm »
I did cancel few days after my monthly free trial started and it worked for the whole month for free

So I guess it's ok to just cancel few days after free trial starts rather then forgetting later on to to cancel and then you are billed

rikhav

« Reply #36 on: 5 Dec 2017, 08:04 pm »
Going back off track...

Have an iMac and MacBook Air, no mini.  But wifey (not WiFi) uses a Dell.  We're rarely (never?) playing Netflix/Tidal at the same time.

Getting repeater advice and advice to upgrade service ($250 to install fiber optic which would include a newer wireless router).  Monthly fee would be the same that we're paying now but 20+ times faster.  Next door neighbor owns the fiber optic service. 

Either way looks like this free offer is going to cost me.   :roll:

Not sure what's your current internet speed but even a 5 Mbps connection would be good enough to stream tidal mqa without any dropouts provided no other streaming like Netflix is used along with tidal

The bottle neck for you is WiFi which  due to long distances and other reasons makes the internet service slow for you

So I dont think you need to upgrade the internet seevice. If at one time cost of 250 USD you get 20 times faster internet for same monthly fees then why not :)

Makes it absolutely worth
But then you also need to solve the issue of weak WiFi to your music room

gregcss

« Reply #37 on: 5 Dec 2017, 09:30 pm »
Where is the deal listed? I don't see it on the site.

richidoo

« Reply #38 on: 5 Dec 2017, 10:39 pm »
Where is the deal listed? I don't see it on the site.

I got the free Tidal by downloading Captune onto my Android phone from google Play. Then while setting up Captune I had the opportunity to subscribe to Tidal.

I didn't use Tidal much at first because I was frustrated trying to play Tidal through Roon. But Roon recently enhanced the Tidal integration so I have been listening to Tidal a lot, love it! Most of my fav jazz and classical music is on Tidal.