Cost per bathroom use to a business?

Folsom

Cost per bathroom use to a business?
« on: 17 Aug 2017, 11:02 pm »
I know this isn't "the circle" for this question, but I have no idea what one is...

But there's an accumulated wealth of knowledge around here. I was wondering if anyone had an idea, for example, how much it costs a business every time someone uses the restroom, assuming they don't do anything abnormal, at a coffee shop? They have frequent use due to the relation with coffee. Just curious... crossed my mind. Just like shouldn't Superman be cleaning bugs off himself after every flight?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Cost per bathroom use to a business?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2017, 11:53 pm »
It depends on the Company's commitment to the customer impression.

If you understand the importance of the customer impression, and how it influences spending habits, you'll spend a fair amount to keep the restrooms spotless and far above any expectation.

If you understand the importance of practicality, some businesses can not, or will not, make that investment in the customer experience.

When it turns expensive is when you have literally thousands of restrooms to maintain, much like every national chain store or movie theatre. 'Top Shelf' costs millions, it really does.

What does air conditioning and heating cost? Floor maintenance? Roll Up doors? Lift Trucks? Alarm Systems, POS Systems? Hell, even the music that plays in the background?

The customer experience, when done well, is expensive.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:39 am »
It's also going to be dependent on how much the water company charges.  For example where I live now, the rates and costs are much higher (probably double) than where I lived before.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2017, 02:05 am »
Right, lets talk cost per flush, TP, towels, sink water, and soap?

Does it essentially cost you $1 per use? $.14? $.03?

There's a lot of ways to get that number with varience, but I imagine there is a range.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2017, 03:17 am »
OK, so what's the cost of having an "employees only" sign on your bathroom?

I'll tell you what the cost is.  When I go to pay for my used LPs and ask to use the bathroom, and they tell me "sorry, employees only!", I leave my purchases on the counter and walk out.   :cuss:

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2017, 04:11 am »
Yes, but for example at a coffee place margins per customer are tighter. I am not suggesting stopping anyone from using them, its just an analysis of money made to money spent.

Brettio

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:01 pm »
While this comment provides no hard costs info, I think it safe to say that the cost to provide and maintain a bathroom is much less than the cost to a business than a dirty (in a restaurant specifically) or an unavailable one. At least when I'm your customer.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:48 pm »
For renovation or new construction a minimum number of fixtures (sinks, urinals, and water closets) and how many handicap accessible toilet rooms are specified in the building code.  Note that I use the technically correct term "water closet" versus the more common term "toilet" for the fixture and the more accurate term "toilet room" versus "rest room" or "bath room".

Beyond that there are many factors involved in life cycle costs:  cleaning (what wall/floor materials and cleaning tools/products are used, frequency of use, clientele; water use (utility cost per gallon, low flush water closets, air injection flushes, water closets versus urinals, automatic faucets with and without flow restrictors); electricity costs (utility cost per kWh, type/design of lighting fixtures/bulbs/switching, use of a variety of types of air hand dryers, continuous or switched exhaust fan versus window; door(s) (damage, hardware, lock/handle types); paper cost (toilet paper and any use of disposable hand toweling with associated wall damage of vendor changes); soap cost (varies by the vendor and again wall damage to swap out); maintenance cost (clearing drains by staff or professionals due to routine or abusive use).

So your question cannot be easily answered. 

For large organizations each of these issues are highly researched.  Note for instance that wall hung water closets have lower life cycle cost versus floor mounted because of ease of cleaning, but with increasing concerns for proper accommodation for the super obese (broken wall hung water closets) the recent move has been to go back to floor mounts).

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2017, 06:42 pm »
Based on commercial toilets the water is about $0.003 - 0.01 .

Not sure on TP and hand towel (paper) costs average.

It appears outside of the upkeep its pretty cheap at least for water.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2017, 06:52 pm »
It appears outside of the upkeep its pretty cheap at least for water.

Sewer isn't free.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2017, 07:21 pm »
Yes, but it isnt per use.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2017, 11:01 pm »
Some sewer systems ARE charged by volume wisked away. Kind of a reverse water meter bill, and more than the cost for water in.
For some businesses which use little to no water in the business. The flush and hand wash after use would be the #1 water use.
Costs:
Building space per square foot, equipment, water in, sewer out, soap, paper used. Cleaning the area, special cleaning supplies..
(Time wasted by employees on the clock.. I knew a dude who would spend a full hour sitting, twice a day.. Doctors excuse too.)

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2017, 03:57 am »

Brettio

« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2017, 04:53 am »
I knew a dude who would spend a full hour sitting, twice a day.. Doctors excuse too.)

I've got to look for a new doctor!

2bigears

« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2017, 06:28 am »
 :D a 400 pounder nesting down on a wall mounted toilet.   Good God almighty.
          Now that's a harsh image to clear away....  :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2017, 11:19 am »
Let's say you have 300 people in the facility and that site does $100M in sales. A line item on the financial statement for municipality costs and maintenance costs is inconsequential and never discussed in staff meetings. Cost of doing business.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2017, 12:46 pm »
Let's say you have 300 people in the facility and that site does $100M in sales. A line item on the financial statement for municipality costs and maintenance costs is inconsequential and never discussed in staff meetings. Cost of doing business.

Agreed - cost of doing business (except on the farm  :o).  But in the hospitality business (hotels, etc.) you can bet it's discussed.  Even in healthcare its a concern in the E-suite.  So it depends on the business. 

Toilet time used to be worse back when smoking was more prevalent (smoking goes with coffee breaks which leads to more toilet time).

Anyway water/sewer charges are near the bottom of cost factors. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2017, 03:26 pm »
Part of doing business. How much ? Minimal for good business would be my answer. Pristine bathrooms are a must for me. If ya cannot keep the bathroom clean I'm gone.

charles

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2017, 05:55 pm »

Dear lord, where do you buy coffee?