2017 Capital Audiofest

nc42acc

Re: 2017 Capital Audiofest
« Reply #20 on: 9 Aug 2017, 03:24 pm »
DB you speak the truth......To encourage and continue this hobby we need a young audience to start participating. Lets start getting the word out!

Not out of the question. I was kind of having a bad day. I'm just frustrated with the direction of 'high end' (a term I dislike) and that, over time, CAF seems to be becoming more about what I call the 'deep end'. We're fooling ourselves if we think $12K DACs, $20K speakers, and $1K power cables are going to grow the audience for quality music reproduction in the home. The public is deserting 'high end' in droves, opting for 'smart speakers' that cost a few hundred instead. There needs to be an entry level, 'philes need to stop deriding it as 'mid-fi' just because they can afford something better, and it needs to be represented at events such as CAF (since there are no audio stores anymore)- and it pretty much isn't. Someone told me Klaus from Odyssey said "All the exhibitors are trying to catch the same nine millionaires."

Anyway,I might come for CanMania and camaraderie if nothing else.

nc42acc

« Reply #21 on: 9 Aug 2017, 03:26 pm »
How far away is the steak place you guys are proposing to meet? I have been to the CAF once and remember it being very congested to get around.

I plan on going to the fest and I am pretty sure I would go to dinner but no one has replied
to the "2017 Capitol Audio "Feast"" thread?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #22 on: 9 Aug 2017, 04:48 pm »
I plan on going to the fest and I am pretty sure I would go to dinner but no one has replied
to the "2017 Capitol Audio "Feast"" thread?

I know it's a few months ahead, but it will arrive faster than people think.

If nobody responds to that that thread, I will have no choice to assume that nobody wants to go and cancel it.

jtsnead

« Reply #23 on: 9 Aug 2017, 04:51 pm »
Sounds good mix4fix I will reply

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 9 Aug 2017, 04:56 pm »
How far away is the steak place you guys are proposing to meet? I have been to the CAF once and remember it being very congested to get around.

Nick's is in Rockville (15 minutes from the hotel). Nick's is chosen because it's nearby, it's got good atmosphere, food is overall great, and you didn't have to pay for parking. They have steaks, but they also have other things for those that can't or don't want steak. Last year, they supplied us with a special menu with larger cuts of steak as well as other items.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 9 Aug 2017, 06:17 pm »
Not out of the question. I was kind of having a bad day. I'm just frustrated with the direction of 'high end' (a term I dislike) and that, over time, CAF seems to be becoming more about what I call the 'deep end'. We're fooling ourselves if we think $12K DACs, $20K speakers, and $1K power cables are going to grow the audience for quality music reproduction in the home. The public is deserting 'high end' in droves, opting for 'smart speakers' that cost a few hundred instead. There needs to be an entry level, 'philes need to stop deriding it as 'mid-fi' just because they can afford something better, and it needs to be represented at events such as CAF (since there are no audio stores anymore)- and it pretty much isn't. Someone told me Klaus from Odyssey said "All the exhibitors are trying to catch the same nine millionaires."

Anyway,I might come for CanMania and camaraderie if nothing else.

They need cheaper gear. Klaus had a $2200 system on year. There were cheaper stuff as well in the past.

dB Cooper

« Reply #26 on: 9 Aug 2017, 09:08 pm »
DB you speak the truth......To encourage and continue this hobby we need a young audience to start participating. Lets start getting the word out!

There is a lot of age diversity where I work, and I have some young friends into audio who've been to the show... once. They haven't been back. $60-$100K audio systems don't 'speak' to them- or to me, which is why I found myself saying to myself 'Why am I here?'  :scratch: last year...
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2017, 02:18 am by dB Cooper »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 13 Aug 2017, 01:19 am »
Don't forget to sign up for the Saturday dinner. Everybody is invited. Please post in the dinner thread.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151924.0

pelliott321

« Reply #28 on: 16 Aug 2017, 09:25 pm »
we have vendors that have a range of systems from under $1000 to over $300k.  Tenacious Sound from Syracuse NY will have one large room(Lincoln Room) and two rooms on the 3rd floor that will have a budget system, $3K system, $5k system and more.
There is over 30 vendors in the CanMania Marketplace (Plaza Ballroom) that will have a complete range of systems. Its all there for you to enjoy, along with live music in the Bar each night.
There will be special pricing for students and active military.
This will be the biggest year (number of listening rooms/vendors) yet.

dB Cooper

« Reply #29 on: 17 Aug 2017, 04:26 am »
Thanks for sharing, pelliott321. That's good to hear. My first system was purchased with lawn cutting money well before I was old enough to drink. It wasn't 'hi-end' but it was 'hi-fi'. (Dyna speakers and integrated (kit). It provided me with years of musical enjoyment. (Then Hafler launched and I succumbed to my first upgraditis infection, but that's another story.) There needs to be a 'ground floor' in the audio world. Glad to hear that there will representation for such at CAF. I encourage everyone to visit the rooms showing rationally priced equipment whether they would actually consider it or not, so the vendors will be repeat exhibitors.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2017, 06:38 pm by dB Cooper »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 5 Oct 2017, 01:11 pm »
We are going to Nick's Chop House in Rockville. They have steaks for those who want one and other items for those who don't want steak.

This is the thread for confirming reservations for Nicks. Everybody is welcome of course.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151924.msg1624554#msg1624554

It's only a month away so please RSVP.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #31 on: 25 Oct 2017, 02:45 pm »
See everyone next week!

Waiting to see if I am helping at the front desk Friday afternoon.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #32 on: 25 Oct 2017, 04:58 pm »
 Hope to see everyone in the Well Pleased Audio Room. RETHM speakers, Audio Hungry Qualiton A50i integrated and AQUA DAC INNUOS Ref. Server.

charles

KLH007

« Reply #33 on: 25 Oct 2017, 05:07 pm »
Charlie, The kit might be Linnenberg Liszt and Telemann, and I want to hear the v2 version of the Bhaava speakers. Mark's room at RMAF was one of the best, and he's changing almost everything up for CAF, should be interesting!

jtsnead

« Reply #34 on: 25 Oct 2017, 08:44 pm »
Just heard a radio promotion on my local favorite station WTMD for the fest  :lol:

Also I will be helping out a friend who will have a room for his store Vinyl Revivers,
come visit

dB Cooper

« Reply #35 on: 26 Oct 2017, 01:48 pm »
Towson U radio!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #36 on: 26 Oct 2017, 02:17 pm »
Unfortunately not making it this year.  I have a brand new grandson I'll be visiting instead.  Hope you guys have a great time.

Woodsea

« Reply #37 on: 26 Oct 2017, 02:53 pm »
I can make it this year.  Back in Rockville and not scheduled to work...for once. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #38 on: 26 Oct 2017, 03:21 pm »
Charlie, The kit might be Linnenberg Liszt and Telemann, and I want to hear the v2 version of the Bhaava speakers. Mark's room at RMAF was one of the best, and he's changing almost everything up for CAF, should be interesting!
ARGHA !! Mark did say he may have a surprise in amps. I have the RETHM Saadhanas in the house driving them with Qualiton A20i.  Considering Linnenberg  or Qualiton SET or Berning . These speakers are the timbre masters with 3D sound stage and slamatronic bass.

charles
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2017, 05:07 pm by rollo »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 26 Oct 2017, 04:31 pm »
Don't forget to sign up for the Saturday dinner. Everybody is invited. Please post in the dinner thread.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151924.0

People are welcome to join in.