Camera lenses that attach to an iPhone

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Camera lenses that attach to an iPhone
« on: 26 Jul 2017, 01:12 am »
Hey all, I ran across something that seemed a bit extraordinary to me and wanted to hear if you had any experience with it.
There's a new "lens" that clips to a cel phone that has what appears to be some amazing tele abilities. Some of the videos I've seen show spectacular shots of the moon with incredible detail at a zoom rate that is unbelievable.
Here's one I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Telephoto-Evershop-Aluminum-Telephone-Telescope/dp/B06WP1Y293/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=aw_cr_t_wireless

dB Cooper

Re: Camera lenses that attach to an iPhone
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2017, 01:42 am »
Most of these- if not all- suck. Think about it: You are trying to adapt the internal iphone lens, which is a moderate wide angle, to do something else by sticking some other lens in front of it, and in order to have any kind of optical performance att att (not even considering the kind of design compromises the adaptation requires), you've got to line it up within optical tolerances, meaning microns (a micron is a thousandth of an inch). Like to keep a case on your phone to protect it against drops and knocks? You'll need to remove it every time you put the lens on. I haven't seen results from the specific one you saw, but the results I have seen from add-on lenses have left me very underwhelmed. Think of them as the optical equivalent of those crappy battery-powered bluetooth speakers you see everywhere- they're satisfactory enough if you're not too critical, or if you've had a few.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2017, 09:08 am »
WHaaat?? You need to attach something to a phone to get acceptable pictures?

(Just kidding ;) sorta ;) ;) ;) )

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2017, 11:11 am »
Bob-
My daughter-in-law included an I-phone 6 add-on lens in her Xmas wish list this past year. It was an Amazon link that I purchased so I know little of it's specifics. Her website has examples of the results she's been able to achieve.

http://paviajustinian.com

Most of these sculptures are on display in municipal outdoor sculpture exhibits around Colorado. All are For Sale.

My son collaborated with her in creating the website construction. They are both in their mid twenties so it's been great fun for me and wifey to watch all of this unfolding.

What do you think of Pavia's add-on lens?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2017, 12:43 pm »
I often wondered about those.  I've had them in my Amazon wish list a couple of times but I always think it sounds too good to be true.  I've always wanted a better camera and I always talk myself out of it (I don't know if I'd get enough use out of it) and end up with a new point and shoot.  I'm due for a new camera as it has probably been over 4 years since I bought that last point and shoot.  I have a Nikon D3300 package with two lenses on my Amazon wish list right now but have not pulled the trigger.  I'll probably start watching stuff for Black Friday deals this year and pull the trigger on something this time.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2017, 01:17 pm »
dB Cooper summed up my fears, not just with overall quality, but the "alignment" of the lens especially of there's a case on it.
Of course I was hoping for a free ride, you know, have my cake and eat it too, but I was afraid they'd be too good to be true.
Being an Amazon Prime member, I might give it a shot, just for grins.

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2017, 04:03 pm »
Sure, it looks decent as far as those goes. Try it and just send it back the next day if it ain't good.

I tried a Vivitar lens add on to a nice lens but the chromatic aberration was so bad I gave them away to my local thrift shop and told them to sell it for $5.