Shop accident (or what not to do with a table saw)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Shop accident (or what not to do with a table saw)
« Reply #40 on: 2 Jun 2017, 12:15 am »
I agree with Wayne, if you're not just "a little bit" scared, then you're too confident and your days are numbered.

Not sure what the time and temp is for human body parts.
I'd have to look into that.

I can imagine how clean the shop would be by now.  :lol:

steve in jersey

« Reply #41 on: 2 Jun 2017, 11:49 am »
I would suggest to anyone who is "A bit scared of using power tools" that they don't attempt to use them, at least until they learn the difference between having a "Healthy Respect" for the machinery & outright "Fear".

It may have been 35 or 40 years ago I applied for a help position in a Cabinetmakers shop. While I was interviewing for the job, the gentleman was cutting some tiny blocks of wood on the tablesaw by running them against the rip fence. The problem was that there really wasn't enough space between the sawblade & the rip fence for him to be "safely" running the work past the blade by hand without using a push stick. The blade height was low ,but you don't want to get into the habit of passing your fingers over. the space between the fence & the rotating sawblade.

I'm not sure if he was testing me for a reaction,but he seemed to take issue with my suggesting to him that he should not continue working like that if he valued remaining a Cabinetmaker. Sacrificing a digit or two is never an acceptable tradeoff for getting more work out.

I think what separates a "Craftsman" from others is the quality of "jigs" that he's using to assist his method of work with the tools he uses. & of course having a safe,reasonable,repeatable method of work.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #42 on: 2 Jun 2017, 12:18 pm »
I spent 28 years teaching college students how to operate milling machines, lathes and other shop machinery safely.
A year after I retired I had an accident.

I was using a hand power planer to trim a door. Working outside in January I was working with gloves on.
After feeling the planer grab two of my fingers on my left hand I knew immediately that I screwed up.

The up side... The scar tissue helps while fretting some notes...
I left the blood stains on the planer as a reminder.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 3 Jun 2017, 03:55 pm »
I would suggest to anyone who is "A bit scared of using power tools" that they don't attempt to use them, at least until they learn the difference between having a "Healthy Respect" for the machinery & outright "Fear".
In my mind, there's a separation between "a bit scared" and "outright fear".
I'm "a bit scared" every time I fire a gun, because I've seen what happens with barrel blockage or reloaded ammo being "hot". I'm a bit scared every time I fuel my lawn mower with a hot engine.
In both cases I'm 99.9999% certain that nothing is going to happen as I'm being as careful as I can be.
But if I had an "outright fear" of something, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Starving, rabid alligators would be something I have an outright fear of.   :wink:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #44 on: 4 Jun 2017, 03:10 am »
I have to admit that every time I use a power tool I ask myself "What would Bob in St Louis do"......
Hey Bob in St Louis I have some wood side panels for my reel to reel tape deck  that I sprayed with lacquer how should I proceed?
Should I sand with 2000 grit wet/dry paper and then buff or should I go with 4000 grit and Rottenstone for a truly hand rubbed finish??
Please help the lost soul that I am...
I'll send you best BBQ sauce recipe in the world if you can help me..!!! :green:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 4 Jun 2017, 03:18 am »
I have to admit that every time I use a power tool I ask myself "What would Bob in St Louis do"......
Hey Bob in St Louis I have some wood side panels for my reel to reel tape deck  that I sprayed with lacquer how should I proceed?
Should I sand with 2000 grit wet/dry paper and then buff or should I go with 4000 grit and Rottenstone for a truly hand rubbed finish??
Please help the lost soul that I am...
I'll send you best BBQ sauce recipe in the world if you can help me..!!! :green:
Uhh.....  :scratch:
I don't even know how to reply to that.
First off, I'm not the guy you should be asking what grit to wet sand to.... That's a Salk/Vapor question.
secondly....
I'm not a sauce guy, I'm a dry rub kinda fellow.
Uhhh.... sorry...  :oops: I'll concede to somebody else... i guess?