Monoprice planar Magnetic headphones and more

restrav

Monoprice planar Magnetic headphones and more
« on: 15 Sep 2016, 08:28 pm »
well we dont know until we have them in hand at a date which has not been released. but if they get the headphone right , it could be a real shake up in the industry.

The new Monolith M560 might be substantially cheaper than other planar magnetic headphones on the market, but that doesn’t mean Monoprice has skimped on features. The M560 features replaceable ear pads as well as removable wooden exteriors on the back, allowing them to switch between open-back and closed-back configurations. This is also the only set of planar magnetic headphones we’ve heard of that sells for $200

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/monoprice-announces-monolith-series-cedia-2016/

dB Cooper

Re: Monoprice planar Magnetic headphones and more
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2016, 01:07 am »
The more expensive one looks like it heavily "borrowed" certain design features from both audeze and hifiman. The removable covering allowing the user to run the $200 headphones open or closed back is a clever idea.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2016, 04:02 am »
I foresee these becoming the next big modding platform. The T50rp folks have been straggling for fresh meat...

FireGuy

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2016, 12:33 pm »
The more expensive one looks like it heavily "borrowed" certain design features from both audeze and hifiman. The removable covering allowing the user to run the $200 headphones open or closed back is a clever idea.

It will be interesting to see how they were able to engineer a dual closed/open design.  When I cover my (open back) HIFIMAN's they sound terrible.  I have not heard them yet but there's gotta be an audio compromise somewhere on this concept.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2016, 01:20 am »
Good point

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2016, 04:31 pm »
Hm, looks like they are trying to fill in the niche of gear for people who think Emotiva is too 'expensive'. My experience with MP and reading review of some of their gear I think you will definitely get what you pay for. For sure expect a lot of modding.

restrav

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2017, 12:36 am »
I started this topic when these headphones were announced. Now the 2nd batch of these headphones are on sale and they have remedied the few QC issues that the first batch had. as far as the SQ is concerned they are probably the best headphones for the money on the plant. definitely better than most Hifimans, better resolution, bass, sound stage than any dynamic i have ever heard, basically an LCD-2 in disguise (actually i suspect that they have the same innards as LCD-2 as not many manufacturers make these anyway.)

i am posting this because they are on sale for 250 and it is my opinion that these headphones are worth it even at $600.  at 250 they are money very well spent.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12001&cs_id=1082707&p_id=16050&seq=1&format=2

on a side note: the presentation very different than Senn 650 so it is difficult to compare them, i think you need both of these phones in your life.