Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review

msommers

Re: Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review
« Reply #380 on: 8 Feb 2018, 03:35 pm »
No worries, more curious than anything. I think I'm putting a deposit down for the power amp.

screener

« Reply #381 on: 8 Feb 2018, 05:12 pm »
Michael, would you be able to post a photo of your kt88 at night turned on?!

Later tonight I'll take a few photos and try to post them.

screener

« Reply #382 on: 9 Feb 2018, 01:54 am »
Sorry guys.
My uploading skills can't take the image from my phone to an original size photo on this site.

JakeJ

« Reply #383 on: 9 Feb 2018, 02:21 am »
Are you uploading directly from the iPhone?  The site will take almost any size image and automagically reduce it to the pre-programmed file size constraints.  Otherwise you'll need an app on the phone to manipulate the image.

JerryM

« Reply #384 on: 9 Feb 2018, 02:30 am »
This is the photo, yes?  :thumb:

msommers

« Reply #385 on: 9 Feb 2018, 02:37 am »
OH YES!

Cheers!

screener

« Reply #386 on: 9 Feb 2018, 01:56 pm »
Are you uploading directly from the iPhone?  The site will take almost any size image and automagically reduce it to the pre-programmed file size constraints.  Otherwise you'll need an app on the phone to manipulate the image.

I took the photo with my phone and sent to my PC. From there I saved it in my favorites. Then placed it in my gallery. Couldn't get the original size photo to post here.

Thanks JerryM for the photo.

mresseguie

« Reply #387 on: 9 Feb 2018, 04:13 pm »
I’m jealous of that glow. I want to exchange my amp for one with a better glow!  :lol:

Actually, my amp’s glow is very similar. On my amp, I think there’s less glow where the light reflects off the top.

My amp is nearing the 100 hour mark. I’m still not too wrapped up in how it sounds because I know the Jupiter Cu caps take a long time to burn in. Sometimes it sounds spooky good and sometimes not so good as burn in goes thru its stages. This reminds me of my burning in a DAC that would occasionally sound downright tinny in the 80 to 100 hours range, but sounded delicious once it passed 200 hours.  Aldcoll will stop by in the next few days for a good hard listen. With his help I’ll be able to better position the speakers.

msommers

« Reply #388 on: 9 Feb 2018, 04:15 pm »
I'm putting my KT88 order in today.

You added Jupiter caps to your KT88 amp or preamp?

mresseguie

« Reply #389 on: 9 Feb 2018, 04:26 pm »
I'm putting my KT88 order in today.

You added Jupiter caps to your KT88 amp or preamp?

Oops! Hehehe. I’m still waking up.  :duh: The Jupiter caps are in my preamp. Thanks for catching that. I’m not entirely sure what all requires burning in on my amp. I’ll email Don for an answer and repost it here.

msommers

« Reply #390 on: 9 Feb 2018, 04:28 pm »
Ahh thanks that makes more sense!  :thumb:

The output caps will take the longest and those ones are longer than a lot (Duelands as well). 200 hours and you're over the hump forever.

Speed Racer

« Reply #391 on: 9 Feb 2018, 07:16 pm »
I wish there were an easy way for me to compare my wonderful all Class A power Pioneer M-22 solid state amp to Don's amp. My 2 channel systems sounds awesome right now and spending $3200 without knowing what improvement I might get is difficult to justify.

Does anyone on here in California have one of Don's amps?

msommers

« Reply #392 on: 9 Feb 2018, 07:27 pm »
Well in 12-16 weeks I can tell you how it compares to a XA30.5 Pass Labs. Deposit down :thumb:

Sadly, had to give up my PrimaLuna preamp to make this happen but I've been very curious about going back to tubes and finally after considering a lot of tube power amp designs (from one-man shops to large corps) at various price points, Don's design and value convinced me to take the risk unheard. The PS Audio DS Jr. preamp will have to suffice for volume control for now.

Speed Racer

« Reply #393 on: 14 Feb 2018, 08:55 pm »
That is a long time to wait!! You will certainly want an active tube-based preamp again at some point and I know which one I would get if I were you!

A_shah

Re: Don Sachs SP14 Tube inexpensive isolation tweak
« Reply #394 on: 18 Feb 2018, 08:50 pm »
ON a whim I decided to use SVS Soundpath subwoofer Isolation  system under my DS-2 to see if it would work I had these sitting in my garage since I had sold my old subwoofer , well what do you know it did change the Sound Quality and presentation for the better High's and Mids just sound very clear and crisp , and focused

these are only $49.95 from Amazon or from SVS free shipping and qualify for their 45 day return policy

Speed Racer

« Reply #395 on: 20 Feb 2018, 05:45 am »
Those isolation devices are not exactly or even remotely attractive or inconspicuous!

I'll stick with the Herbie's Tenderfoot!

A_shah

« Reply #396 on: 20 Feb 2018, 06:45 am »
Those isolation devices are not exactly or even remotely attractive or inconspicuous!

I'll stick with the Herbie's Tenderfoot!

I agree ! they are ugly but robust !( really they don't look that bad  and  they seem to work very well  :lol: really they do ! I also have a set of Lou Hinkley DID 's they sit under my PS Audio DirectStream with all their ball bearing glory and my wife and son laughing at me  :smoke: :jester:
Now i need to get some Herbie's Tenderfoot , Ok maybe I will think about them , just wanted to share a cheap tweak that seems to work. for now I will leave these big fat pods under the Pre- and enjoy the music.  thank you ! Asghar