VR5 M/T cabinet spikes..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
VR5 M/T cabinet spikes..
« on: 13 Sep 2014, 04:31 pm »
Question for owners of VR5 Annies or VR4 Srs....have you tried different spikes than the rubber jobbies supplied with your speakers?  If so what was the effect?  Thanks!

es347

• Facilitator
Re: VR5 M/T cabinet spikes..
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2014, 07:07 pm »
..apparently not  :?

smilach

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2014, 09:21 pm »
Herbie's Audio Lab makes a number of vibration absorbing products and they have a "Von Schweikert Special" collection of products to isolate the M/T unit from the woofer unit.  I haven't tried those products so I can't attest to their effectiveness or lack thereof.  Here is a link to the page where those products are found: http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htmhttp://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

Delacroix

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2014, 11:29 pm »
I’ve used the HAL special set for the Vons, and tended to leave them in once I had done so. That said, since I had the 5s upgraded, I seem to have misplaced those small pads (despite being labelled ’fat’ they are pretty slim) and just use the original footers that came with the speaker. I am not sure I could hear a huge difference with the HAL originally but it seemed a little better to my ears and I liked the solidity of the look. If I can relocate them (they have to be in a drawer somewhere, unless my better half thought they were some silly bits of old rubber I had lying around and tossed them when I was not looking), I’ll give them another spin.

The most interesting sonic change I got from this interface point was using a set of Aurios between the cabinets. These were sort of ball-bearing sandwiches that were popular a few years back but are no longer made, I think. They seemed to give the upper registers some greater clarity and resolution that was not difficult to discern in straight comparisons. I bought several sets on clearance a few years back use them under heavy components like power amps. They are effective at isolating but tend to wobble when the component they are supporting is  pushed (as when you turn it on or fiddle with controls) before settling back. I did not leave them between modules as I was worried about someone knocking against my speakers and the upper module falling off but I am not sure this is a real concern where kids are not involved. Might be time to re-try this set up. I suspect one can pay for a set of Stillpoints that would have similar effects (especially if you put the larger ones under the woofer section too). All to say, the smallest things seem to make a real difference here and it’s worth playing around with options if you can easily try them. Have a word with the owner of HAL, he moderates his own circle here and is very helpful - I’ve tried many of his products and use his large footers under my outriggers and under the spikes of my turntable rack to good effect. He might let you try a set out.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2014, 03:26 am »
Thanks Patrick...will do!

Delacroix

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2014, 02:02 am »
Just for kicks, I dug out the Aurios and tried them again under my VR5 Anni II mid/upper module. As I remembered, these do give the sound a bit of extra clarity so I've left them in. Currently have three per side, but I had to unscrew the stock feet as they looked odd just sticking down, mid-air, off the corners. Now, after a week with the Aurios alone, the look has stopped catching my eye and I'm enjoying the sonics. I think I'll leave them in even though I still feel the top module could fall off if someone pushes against the speaker. Might have to move to four Aurios to add a bit of stability. Now of course, this does raise the upper module a little higher than the stock feet which might mess with the designed alignment but I don't hear any downsides yet. I find most VSA speakers pretty tolerant of positioning so this is just one more example, and I like the results.

choffman

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2014, 09:15 am »
I'm using the Grand Prix Audio Apex Footers under the M/T modules in my VR5 Anniversaries and it makes a very significant difference for the better.

pre

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2014, 10:54 pm »

gammajo

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2014, 07:56 am »
I use the Herbies pack between modules for my VR5Anni MK2's and Herbies gliders under the VSA spikes. I have used them now for years alternating with stock arrangement for a few months at a time and prefer the Herbies system to stock.

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2014, 09:27 am »
Let's see some CMS footer pics Gavin  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: