Big Band/ Swing music

charmerci

Re: Big Band/ Swing music
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2014, 05:37 pm »
Wasn't that the cokehead who used to holler on those infomercials?

Nope. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_May

K.F.

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2014, 06:19 pm »
My favorite is the Count Basie Orchestra "Second Testament" band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Basie_Orchestra#The_.27Second_Testament.27

Some of the very late 50's albums sounds surprisingly good. I'm not to crazy about the post Sonny Payne drummers.
My favorite and ''best'' Sonny Payne is ''Count on the coast''

Unfortunately, the Phontastic Crescendo recordings are hard to come by digitally. The sound is great, and the live swinging tracks demonstrate why the band was such a club attraction. Best of all, the band probably didn't know it was being recorded, allowing for a relaxed, powerful delivery.
Jazzwax

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2014, 11:40 pm »
Been doing some research and ran across this...

Ordered this and will let you know how it is..

Anyone know much about Marion Hutton? Have read what is on the interweb but can't say that I have heard her voice.

charmerci

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jun 2014, 04:22 am »
Been doing some research and ran across this...

Ordered this and will let you know how it is..

Anyone know much about Marion Hutton? Have read what is on the interweb but can't say that I have heard her voice.

Just watch it then -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQqz-NMMIxQ

It's been a long, long time since I saw it.

Sun Valley Serenade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ryR4oZO4p8

charmerci

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2014, 01:04 am »
I'm not much on new jazz/big band music but I think this is a real good one.

Dean Martin (Duets) - Forever Cool

It's mainly Big Bad Voodoo Daddy with Dean's vocals dueting with contemporary singers. (There's a few misses like the Joss Stone duet.) Sometimes you can really hear the quality difference with the modern recording and an old DM tape. But it's a fun, upbeat album.

I guess while I'm talking about big band vocals. I'll list a few favorites
Ella Sings Gershwin (though there are number of songs with strings)
Nat King Cole - Billy May Sessions
                      Live at the Sands (fairly short)
                       Big Band Cole
Joe Williams - Jump For Joy (pretty short about 33 minutes)
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2014, 02:58 am by charmerci »

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2014, 02:52 am »
Oh yea.....

Bob2

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2014, 11:31 am »
CD arrived yesterday.

Sat down for a listen and found some old favorites on this...... but different arrangements. I'm always surprised by how many different ways these songs can be changed and end up sounding great..

alfajim

« Reply #27 on: 28 Feb 2015, 08:05 am »
Anyone here besides myself enjoy big band-swing music?
Probably not some of the younger members but some of us older members might enjoy it!!
Currently listening to:

St Louis Blues, sing, sing, sing!!
"Some real magic goin on here"
Tightest horn section you will ever hear!
I grew up hearing this. My parents always had some 78's spinning and have enjoyed this for ever or so it seems!

Bob2 just had to pick up this thread as I am also one of the more mature big band/swing affectionados. I have just recently gotten back into vinyl and did so to get and play my fav's from classical and big swing bands. My favorite big band is Glenn Miller I now have both of the special limited edition box sets in the binders plus the Army band set hours of just great swing listening. I also got very lucky and picked up off fleebay all three albums 56 original release of the Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnagie Hall concert these are NM+ LP's and the music coming out of those records is just amazing you even hear some back ground noises, my kit puts you at the stage or sometimes even on it just wow. Any of you folks that like excellent swing you have to get these. Sing Sing Sing is fabulous you can really hear Krupa at his best. :thumb:
OK nuff ranting. :duh: 

Never been much for compilation albums but this has some great versions of the songs such as  the ones mentioned above! Have not hear this arrangement of sing, sing, sing..

mjosef

« Reply #28 on: 28 Feb 2015, 03:09 pm »
Only if heard through the vision of Le Sun Ra....

Sun Ra and his Intergalaxtic Arkestra's Second Star to the Right: Salute to Walt Disney goes way beyond novelty. Novelties are hardly this entertaining or enduring. Ra got into a Disney phase around 1989 when asked to interpret "Pink Elephants on Parade" from Dumbo for a pop tribute album to Disney called Stay Awake. Ra was so taken with Disney's music and images that he started to play shows dedicated exclusively to the man. When performing this material, the Arkestra went so far as to wear the patented Mouseketeer ears and had a dancer dressed in a Dumbo costume! The chosen compositions run the gamut from the more obscure to themes every kid of all ages could sing along with: "I'm Wishing," "Second Star to the Right," the eerie "The Forest of no Return," and "Someday My Prince Will Come." The titles sound as if Ra could have written them himself. The arrangements are in the same swing manner as his Fletcher Henderson tributes. June Tyson's vocals bring a romantic appeal, while bassoonist and percussionist James Jacson does his best Louis Armstrong impression, leading the sing along on "Zip a Dee Doo Dah." This may not be an essential disc for the Sun Ra novice, but if you wonder what it would have been like hanging out at Sun Ra's commune in Philadelphia watching Dumbo with the rest of the Arkestra (a favorite Ra practice in his later years!), get this immediately. As a footnote, this joyous Leo release is from an audience tape, and while the fidelity is good, audiophiles should be advised that it does have muddy moments.
Review by Al Campbell
http://www.allmusic.com/album/second-star-to-the-right-salute-to-walt-disney-mw0000672706

Sun Ra and his Intergalaxtic Arkestra:Second Star to the Right: Salute to Walt Disney

Bob2

« Reply #29 on: 28 Feb 2015, 03:39 pm »

Difficult to find albums by any one band...
Would like to find records but my turntable won't spin a 78. If anyone has a line on some 331/3 versions I would appreciate it!

alfajim

« Reply #30 on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:33 pm »

Difficult to find albums by any one band...
Would like to find records but my turntable won't spin a 78. If anyone has a line on some 331/3 versions I would appreciate it!

Bob2 All mine are 331/3 mono got them off e bay there was enough sellers that I could get some that were NM+ they came from a vendor that had aquired a private collection.
There are quite a few sellers with the Glenn Miller Limited Edition volume one and two in the padded numbered binders 5 records each, they cover all the stuff broadcast except the Army Band era and the Carnagie Hall concerts.
There is also a number of Benny Goodman LP's avalable in many different venues. Havent looked for the others yet although I did pick up some Woody Herman.

Jim

Bob2

« Reply #31 on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:05 am »

BobM

« Reply #32 on: 3 Mar 2015, 02:42 pm »
Of the newer, more modern groups out there recording today, I would suggest the following

Gordon Goodwins Big Phat Band
Maria Schneider Orchestra
Ed Palermo Big Band
Jaco Pastorius Big Band (still recording after his death)
Dave Holland Big Band

Bob2

« Reply #33 on: 3 Mar 2015, 03:14 pm »
BobM,
thanks for posting that!
I'll be checking those out this evening with some well aged scotch.

Bob2

« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2016, 09:46 pm »

A lovely 2 cd set.

Bob2

« Reply #35 on: 15 Dec 2016, 05:49 pm »

Wayner

« Reply #36 on: 15 Dec 2016, 05:59 pm »