Sophia 91-01

happyrabbit

Sophia 91-01
« on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:28 am »
I touched my 1st 300b today.... it was awesome sauce  :green:

I was told to give the 91-01's a couple days before forming an opinion. 

The Sophia's @ WarpSpeed ! 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Sophia 91-01
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:35 am »
Congratulations, a beautiful amp.
Seems a mono power amp. That round knob in back is a volume pot to run CD player direct??

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2013, 01:26 am »
I touched my 1st 300b today.... it was awesome sauce  :green:

Hey!

Be careful don't burn your hands  :lol:   Anyway, congratulation on those 300B SET amp. Big fan of SET here  :wink:

Are those Green Mountain speakers? I think I've heard those model before, nice speaker. I don't think they are hard to drive. Maybe in smaller room should be OK.

So, dose using SS amps as amp stand make those 300B amps sound better?  :lol:

BTW... Are these 300Bs your first tube amps?

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

MttBsh

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2013, 01:27 am »
a little over a year ago, after reading Jeff Day's gushing review of the 91-01, I purchased a pair - and I couldn't be happier. I bought them slightly used, but they still took a couple of days to warm up and deliver to their potential. They are by far the best amps I have ever owned, and I'm surprised that they don't get more press.

I feed them with a Dodd battery powered preamp, and the sound I'm getting is so full and holographic, such amazing bass, I have no interest in even looking at other amplification. Plus I get a lot of compliments because they're beautiful.

Please post your impressions after the amp has had a chance to break in.

Matt

happyrabbit

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2013, 02:50 am »
FullRange - >  That is a Capacitor... Richard(aka Sophia) stated he likes the sound better over the 'bigger metal ones'   The website shows the old ones.

SET Man ->   I  luv ur kitty !   Green Mountain Rio II.  I asked Roy (aka Green Mountain ) and he stated no issues using a 300b.   He stated the rio's need @ 5 watts to sound good.   To be honest, I have never every touched or seen a 300b until today..  I have read @ them but no touchy.   Yes this is my 1st tube amp.....     IF you don't like the black platform and I also have a red one  :green:    (see pic)

MttBsh ->  I read the same review..    I was thinking that Jeff Day is either off his medications or the 91-01 is the real deal. Currently using a LDR preamp.  Any thoughts ??

Dwight

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2013, 03:06 am »
OK Thanks Bro.
I dont see a pre-amp on the photos, how do you control the volume??
The cd player has a volume pot??

happyrabbit

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2013, 02:04 pm »
oppo-93 -> Audiopraise Vanity93 reclocker -> Octave Dac -> Warpspeed LDR (its sitting inside of my ghetto OfficeMax stand)

Audio Magic Cables + Mojo Power Cords

Dwight

dburna

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2013, 03:20 pm »
What are your impressions of the Sophia vs. the Cherry amp (major differences in power output notwithstanding)?

-dB

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2013, 03:19 am »
SET Man ->   I  luv ur kitty !   Green Mountain Rio II.  I asked Roy (aka Green Mountain ) and he stated no issues using a 300b.   He stated the rio's need @ 5 watts to sound good.   To be honest, I have never every touched or seen a 300b until today..  I have read @ them but no touchy.   Yes this is my 1st tube amp.....     IF you don't like the black platform and I also have a red one  :green:    (see pic)

Dwight

Hey!

Right, the Green Mountain Rio II.The pair that I've heard couple of years ago where the original I think. I've heard them with more powerful than the 300B though. But a nice and coherent little speakers I would say and pretty heavy.

So, I guess you are no longer tube virgin, eh?  :lol: On a little more serious side it is better not to handle tubes with bare hands, especially hot running tubes like power tubes.

Man! Must be a big change coming from those high power SET amp stands... oops I mean SS and switching amps  :icon_lol:

As for low power SET... there is something special about the sound isn't it? The feel of purity and completeness to the sound. True that sometime you do get tighter bass with more powerful amp but still a well design and made SET can have a more natural bass feel to it.

One thing about using low power SET amps... finding a good speaker that would work well with such little power is very important. I think this is one of the reason why some people got in to SET and than give up not long after. So, if the Rio II work for you than that is fine. Still low power SET is not for everyone.

Well, keep us posted on this. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

happyrabbit

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2013, 11:36 pm »
thanks  SET Man

I hate the break in.... Someone push me in front of a bus  :o  I feel bipolar listening to them.   I know its only been 2 days....ugh.  The Sophia's need some Prozac.

Dwight
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2013, 01:33 am by happyrabbit »

happyrabbit

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2013, 02:56 am »
The Sophia's Finally hit the 300 hour mark.  did I just flush $3700 down the toilet ?? Is Jeff Day a couple idiot ?? Are tube people crazy ??  In a couple hours, I would have my answer.  To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to the comparison.  I have been wrong before.    I had been listening for a solid 2 weeks as the Sophia's smoothed out and felt the 300b's were ready to take on the 'SS'.  I busted out the Magnus MA-200 & the Digital Cherry.     I warmed both them up for an hour before giving each a listen... which lasted @ 10 mins.   My 1st thought after listening to Magnus followed by the Cherry..'Why did I wait soo long to buy a 300B amp ?'...

'As for low power SET... there is something special about the sound isn't it? The feel of purity and completeness to the sound. True that sometime you do get tighter bass with more powerful amp but still a well design and made SET can have a more natural bass feel to it.'  - Set Man

I agree with Set Man & his kitty. I agree with Jeff Day's ''two hard nipples up recommendation". I agree with MttBsh.   

Dwight

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2013, 01:54 am »
Interesting option on the 91-05 model at a significant cost tough:
''Super quiet version: additional $1000''
I wonder how this option is obtained?? :scratch:

SET Man

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2013, 04:33 am »
The Sophia's Finally hit the 300 hour mark.  did I just flush $3700 down the toilet ?? Is Jeff Day a couple idiot ?? Are tube people crazy ??  In a couple hours, I would have my answer.  To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to the comparison.  I have been wrong before.    I had been listening for a solid 2 weeks as the Sophia's smoothed out and felt the 300b's were ready to take on the 'SS'.  I busted out the Magnus MA-200 & the Digital Cherry.     I warmed both them up for an hour before giving each a listen... which lasted @ 10 mins.   My 1st thought after listening to Magnus followed by the Cherry..'Why did I wait soo long to buy a 300B amp ?'...

'As for low power SET... there is something special about the sound isn't it? The feel of purity and completeness to the sound. True that sometime you do get tighter bass with more powerful amp but still a well design and made SET can have a more natural bass feel to it.'  - Set Man

I agree with Set Man & his kitty. I agree with Jeff Day's ''two hard nipples up recommendation". I agree with MttBsh.   

Dwight

Hey!

Sound like you are one happy rabbit now. :lol: Those look like a well made amp with good output transformers of which is the heart of any SET amps.

Still low power SET is not for everyone. But I think most people who left SET is because they don't have the right speaker to go with the amp. I'm glade that your speaker work for you.

I have been with my pair of SET monoblocks of which I built them from kit for the past 13 years now and my Single Driver of which I also built for 10 years now. The system is not perfect but overall it gives me the enjoyment of the musics I play through it. If I ever go with SS amp or Class-D amp than I will have to change my screen name. :lol:

Anyway, enjoy your new SET amps, spin all of your music and see if you can live with it long term. But look like you already have a good start there :D

Take care,

happyrabbit

TAP-X
« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:50 am »
I decided on a used TAP-X.   The TAP-X plays nicely with the Sophia plus it has a remote.   With the TAP-X, I find myself listening to the sound stage instead of watching it.  I like the LDR Warpspeed but I think the TAP-X is a better 'match'.    I feel TAP-X does a better job of 'selling it' to my brain  :green:

YMMV

Dwight

« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2013, 03:33 pm by happyrabbit »

happyrabbit

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2013, 11:04 pm »
My left mono block blew it's fuse.. I realized there was no sound from the left channel after switching CD's...

Is this normal ?  I left a message with sophia electric.  No response. Hopefully tomorrow.

I took the cover off to check  for  blown components.  $4500 construction.... Don't u think  :nono:

SET Man

« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2013, 01:39 am »
Hey!

Congratulation on the pre amp.

Sorry to hear about blown fuse. No it not a common thing. Since your amps use tube rectifier, my first guess would be a bad rectifier tube. This kind of things do happen. Any burnt smell? It is unlikely that other parts is effected from the look of it.

If you have a spare fuse you could take out the rectifier tube out and put in the rectifier tube from the other amp and see if the work. If it blow a fuse again than you have something else.

As for the construction. Yes, for a commercial product at that price the wires can be organized better and neater. But if they are quiet than I wouldn't worry about it. And don't be shock to see lots of empty space. Most SET amps, especially lower power are very simple design with Not much parts. The most expensive part of any SET amp would be the output transformers.

Anyway, keep calm and good luck.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

happyrabbit

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2013, 03:06 pm »
Email reply to blown fuse :

"Do not operate tube amplifiers around clock or you would have risk of shortening the life span or  damaging tubes and amplifiers.  Take a break for every 4-5 hours session of running amplifiers by turning amplifiers off for 30-45min "

OK....Maybe they should post this on their website so potential customers realize they are buying POS  :green:

lol   Oh well water under the bridge

Dwight

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2013, 03:23 pm »
  Enjoy your new Amp. Looks like from the interior photo not many parts. simple is good. After some time you could try different caps if you like.  SET amps like passive devices. I've used the Promitheus, Bent, Stevens & Billington and mapleshade.
   All VG in their own way. however an active preamp always brought more weight and slam to the table. The Tap x is one of the best out there just saying try an active and decide yourself. BTW what other tubes are used ?

charles

SET Man

« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2013, 04:10 pm »
Email reply to blown fuse :

"Do not operate tube amplifiers around clock or you would have risk of shortening the life span or  damaging tubes and amplifiers.  Take a break for every 4-5 hours session of running amplifiers by turning amplifiers off for 30-45min "

OK....Maybe they should post this on their website so potential customers realize they are buying POS  :green:

lol   Oh well water under the bridge

Dwight

Hey!

Take a break every 4-5hrs? What!? Seriously?

You know when I finished assemble my Welborn Labs SET amps. I actually left them on overnight, yes I didn't sleep much that night but nothing happen. I think totally it was more than 24hrs. On a few occasions I had them on 8-10hr straight. Well, they just turn 13 years old this past December and they are still run just fine.

I honestly have never heard any tube amp company say not to operate their amp more than 5hrs at a time before. Actually turning them off after 4-5hrs and turn them on again after 30mins will shorten tubes life.

I wasn't there in the early days of 300B but if you think about it early WE 300B amps were use in movie theaters and they would be on all day long.

Anyway, this really surprised me  :o

Take care,

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2013, 05:35 pm »
  Right on SET man. I would check the power cord connection or maybe the fuse was just not a good one. Shit happens. While your in there clean baby clean the contacts of the fuse holder.
   It really is not a good idea to leave tubed gear on 24/7. For safety reasons only. If a tube blows while one is not present it can damage mucho. Take it from me. Remember my Cyber 211 experience. The 211 blew and took out the output tranny. If I was present the tranny would be fine. Cost me serious money to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. The only benefit was we built a way better amp.  :thumb:

charles