What is the most powerful tube amplifier available today ?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: What is the most powerful tube amplifier available today ?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Sep 2012, 12:27 pm »
I'm not sure if these have entered production yet or not but here's the new 900W monoblocks from Bob Carver.

Guy 13

« Reply #21 on: 2 Sep 2012, 01:42 pm »
I'm not sure if these have entered production yet or not but here's the new 900W monoblocks from Bob Carver.

[/quote

Hi Steve and all Audio Circle members.
Have a look at Bob Carver's website. (Link below)

http://bobcarver.com/default.asp]

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 2 Sep 2012, 10:28 pm »
I'd rather use a tube socket. Interesting fact: The GI-7B is used in grounded-grid configuration 99% of the time. The 'fingers' which hold the tube in rest on the grid contact (a circle of metal) and go directly to ground through the chassis. Grounded grid configurations like this are always cathode biased.

For audio: The socket could be insulated from the chassis then it could be grid biased and modulated.

I would most likely use 572B's for my first attempt at a push-pull high power amp.
Cathode biased is bad?? or something unsual?

The Russian QRO site suggest use the GI-7B without socket, the socket creates interferences, a bare wire connection can be seen in the ham radio video:
http://qro-parts.com/product_info.php?products_id=94
These are coaxial microwave tubes are capable to generate on VHF. Any spurious capacitances, inductances and resistances imported Socket can cause it. Russian electronic industry interposed these tubes directly into devices. And it was the best solution!
The english text above is some clumsy, but I undestand the socket is not recommended.
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2012, 12:19 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

jostber

« Reply #23 on: 3 Sep 2012, 11:03 am »

They seem to be coming later this year:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/axpona-jacksonville-part-three

steve f

« Reply #24 on: 3 Sep 2012, 01:38 pm »
Building humongous tube amps seems crazy, at least to me.  There just isn't any real life application for them. If you own a speaker that requires really large amounts of power, something is really flawed in its design. Use smaller amps in multiple with dedicated crossovers. Solid state amps, either dual differential AB or perhaps ICE D units, can be used on woofers, saving tubes for the mid and high frequencies. I guess I don't appreciate being so wasteful of expensive tubes.

The new Carver is basically a design exercise. Bob is a brilliant guy, with a bit of PT Barnum showmanship thrown in. I would like to know what the heck his 'restorer' circuit is though.

Steve

jostber

« Reply #25 on: 3 Sep 2012, 02:40 pm »
Building humongous tube amps seems crazy, at least to me.  There just isn't any real life application for them. If you own a speaker that requires really large amounts of power, something is really flawed in its design. Use smaller amps in multiple with dedicated crossovers. Solid state amps, either dual differential AB or perhaps ICE D units, can be used on woofers, saving tubes for the mid and high frequencies. I guess I don't appreciate being so wasteful of expensive tubes.

The new Carver is basically a design exercise. Bob is a brilliant guy, with a bit of PT Barnum showmanship thrown in. I would like to know what the heck his 'restorer' circuit is though.

Steve

There is a description of the restorer circuit in post #4 here:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?7106-quot-NOS-quot-Vintage-amp-by-Bob-Carver-Tim-Paravicini

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #26 on: 3 Sep 2012, 10:42 pm »

Steve
Quote: There just isn't any real life application for them.
It must be to pair with the new $22,000 Carver Amazing speakers... :duh:
My cost only $2,400 in 1992 and is a Dipole, what this new Amazing are not.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #27 on: 4 Sep 2012, 11:11 am »
The ideal sensitivity for a speaker IMO is around 92db.  I have some between 87 and 100 and use the ones that are at least 90db.

What do I consider the ideal amplifier wattage? When you're working with a wide range of people and interests,  it is best to suggest an amplifier that is at least 40 watts per channel as long as the speakers are around 90db efficient.  I have had people with 100db speakers request higher wattage. We're talking the desire for some serious slam! Wattage DOES play a role in performance. Wattage can be considered a measure of an amplifier's ability to maintain high resolution under difficult conditions: High volumes, complex passages, etc... When an amp falls behind due to inadequate wattage, they sound muddy and inarticulate. Clipping can set in too. 

It has been my experience that people who honestly know what they want will purchase lower wattage amps.  A reminder: Low watt amps and high watt models can cost about the same amount of money.

Steve

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2012, 11:21 am »
Tubes should be used in sockets unless they have wires that come right out of the glass. Soldering to tube pins has always turned me off and I won't do it.

Sockets only create interference if they're not made properly, are dirty or if there is a bad mechanical connection.

Cathode biased is bad?? or something unsual?

The Russian QRO site suggest use the GI-7B without socket, the socket creates interferences, a bare wire connection can be seen in the ham radio video:
http://qro-parts.com/product_info.php?products_id=94
These are coaxial microwave tubes are capable to generate on VHF. Any spurious capacitances, inductances and resistances imported Socket can cause it. Russian electronic industry interposed these tubes directly into devices. And it was the best solution!
The english text above is some clumsy, but I undestand the socket is not recommended.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #29 on: 4 Sep 2012, 01:51 pm »
Fullrangeman,
From ears I trust the new Amazing speakers are in an entirely different league than the old planars.
Too rich for my blood, though.

I wouldn't buy an amp with soldered-in tubes.  What a PITA if one pops or if you want to engage in some recreational tube rolling.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 5 Sep 2012, 02:18 am »
Solder the leads to a new tube is annoying indeed, but this GI-7B Triode should last a long time, the plate can handle 350W in micro-wave range, then in audio frequency must withstand a 200W as maximum, so using it with 100W plate dissipation, it may delivery around 30 healthy W and last forever.

Really strange that this new ''Amazing'' are using lots of the Carver small ribbon tweeter and Gilmore Audio continues using the wonderful Carver planar fullrange driver in glorious 60 inches... I do not understand this move of Bob.
Gilmore even cut the price +50% for the big Model 2, from $12,950/pair to now $6,000/pair.

dB Cooper

« Reply #31 on: 5 Sep 2012, 02:31 am »
I guess tube rolling won't be happening much with those amps, with 40 output tubes to replace in a stereo pair. Wonder what THAT costs. As they say, since I have to ask, you know I can't afford it  :duh:

Guy 13

« Reply #32 on: 5 Sep 2012, 06:50 am »
I guess tube rolling won't be happening much with those amps, with 40 output tubes to replace in a stereo pair. Wonder what THAT costs. As they say, since I have to ask, you know I can't afford it  :duh:

Hi Cooper and all Audio Circle members.

Have you noticed that many hi-end audio web sites,
never mention the prices for their equipment.

Therefore what you said is correct:

If you have to ask, that means you cannot afford it.

I was onced in Texas
and a golf course rule,
was that if you ask how much a membership cost,
that means you can't afford it.

That same golf course, require a blank cheque from the new members.

Some one that knew the golf course requirements,
told me that an annual membership,
was more than 500,000 USD
and that was 30 years ago.

Guy 13

JohnR

« Reply #33 on: 5 Sep 2012, 01:45 pm »
Completely irrelevant, but when I think about how much the land used for some of the golf courses around here must be worth - it wouldn't surprise me.

steve f

« Reply #34 on: 5 Sep 2012, 10:51 pm »

Solder the leads to a new tube is annoying indeed, but this GI-7B Triode should last a long time, the plate can handle 350W in micro-wave range, then in audio frequency must withstand a 200W as maximum, so using it with 100W plate dissipation, it may delivery around 30 healthy W and last forever.

Really strange that this new ''Amazing'' are using lots of the Carver small ribbon tweeter and Gilmore Audio continues using the wonderful Carver planar fullrange driver in glorious 60 inches... I do not understand this move of Bob.
Gilmore even cut the price +50% for the big Model 2, from $12,950/pair to now $6,000/pair.

The new driver group can handle a lot more power. The tweeter isn't a ribbon, but a planar magnetic made by HiVi. Carver says he is the original designer, and I'll take his word on that one. I've been using that same tweeter for years. I once used a group of four with Eminence mid-woofers and a 6DB crossover. I also remember trying a 24DB acoustic crossover, but it didn't blend as well. A LOUDspeaker any amp could drive. Carver's flock of  mini-woofers probably sound very nice. You would need a pair of subs, but I'm sure he has a couple of deluxe models ready to go.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 5 Sep 2012, 11:05 pm »

The new driver group can handle a lot more power. The tweeter isn't a ribbon, but a planar magnetic made by HiVi. Carver says he is the original designer, and I'll take his word on that one. I've been using that same tweeter for years. I once used a group of four with Eminence mid-woofers and a 6DB crossover. I also remember trying a 24DB acoustic crossover, but it didn't blend as well. A LOUDspeaker any amp could drive. Carver's flock of  mini-woofers probably sound very nice. You would need a pair of subs, but I'm sure he has a couple of deluxe models ready to go.

Steve
The sesitivity of these new Amazing are now more tube friendly with 96dB, my model is 89dB, but minimum power was 200W for a small room, the manual state minimum 30W which make almost no sound.
The mini woofers side facing is a great solution, that I used years ago, it create a superb sound stage.

steve f

« Reply #36 on: 5 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm »
Yep, nothing new under the sun. The speaker looks good though. Well except for those feet!

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 5 Sep 2012, 11:19 pm »
Quote: Have you noticed that many hi-end audio web sites, never mention the prices for their equipment.
Guy,
For factories that had dealers this is a bit usual, but for factories that sells direct this is strange indeed, but what annoys me most are the manufacturers that do not inform the data sheet of technical equipment.

Guy 13

« Reply #38 on: 5 Sep 2012, 11:43 pm »
Quote: Have you noticed that many hi-end audio web sites, never mention the prices for their equipment.
Guy,
For factories that had dealers this is a bit usual, but for factories that sells direct this is strange indeed, but what annoys me most are the manufacturers that do not inform the data sheet of technical equipment.

Hi FULLRANGEMAN and all Audio CIrcle members.

The lack of technical information and prices on those hi-end websites
might be a marketting strategy to make you contact them to get the missing information and once they get your coordonates,
then, then can get back to you to push you to buy.

Maybe I'm wrong,
but I still think there is something correct about that.
 Most of the time, when I cannot find the information I am looking for,
I switch to another supplier, unless that product is exceptional.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #39 on: 5 Sep 2012, 11:48 pm »

Hi Steve and all Audio Circle members.

WOW ! Holy smoke !

With 900 watts of heat,
first you need a dedicated electrical outlet
and all that power is enough heat to heat up
a large living room during the cold month of January in Canada.

I guess if you can afford such an expensive amplifier,
you don't have to worry about your electrical bill.

Guy 13