Hello. Thinking of trying some Salks.

pmessmer

Hello. Thinking of trying some Salks.
« on: 23 Jul 2017, 01:30 am »
Hi all.  Joined because I'm considering options for speaker upgrades, possibly some Salks, new or used.  So many choices though!  I've done most of my critical listening with Grado and Sennheister headphones, and my speakers are old... a pair of Castle Richmonds with a sub, and some old Wharfedales.  I'd love something that amazes me like my Grado RS-1 headphones do.

Budget is very flexible, but I need something that isn't too deep or too heavy (need to move them occasionally, so not more than 100 lbs?), and probably front ported as they most go somewhat close to a wall.  They need to work for home theater.  I previously listened to a pair of B&W 804 diamonds in the room - amazing in many ways but they sounded very odd with male vocals / dialog - boxy, or nasal-ish, or something I don't think I'd ever get used to.

Lately, newer models like the Song3s, Soundscape 7F, or Exotica monitors only add to the myriad of options... yikes!  Any recommendations for something with very true vocal reproduction?

Phil A

Re: Hello. Thinking of trying some Salks.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2017, 05:32 am »
Welcome to AC!  Can't go wrong with those kind of quality speakers.  What electronics will you be using, what size room and how loud to you like to listen?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2017, 11:58 am »
You came to the right place. I suggest you just call Jim. He won't upsale you and will steer you to what you tell him you like. Small footprint speakers are easier to move like Song3's and Supercharged Songtowers. If you continue with the sub then bookshelves make lots of sense.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2017, 03:18 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC pmessmer    :thumb:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2017, 03:52 pm »
You have come to the right place.

Jim is one of the very few gentlemen of audio and you should be good to go with his speakers.

pmessmer

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2017, 04:37 pm »
Welcome to AC!  Can't go wrong with those kind of quality speakers.  What electronics will you be using, what size room and how loud to you like to listen?

The room I'm most interested in upgrading is 15 x 13 ft, with one shorter side partially open to a kitchen.  Speakers sit on the longer wall, on each side of a TV, about 6.5 feet apart.  Two primary listening positions are in front of the TV, with heads about 9 feet back from the front of the speakers.  Sometimes viewers sit further to the side, so acceptable off-axis performance would be nice.  I'm currently using a Pioneer Elite SC-87 home theater receiver.  I previously had two NAD T77x models but both died (wish they were more like the stereo NAD preamp and amps that I've been using for 20 years!).  There's a sub in the corner, and two small wall-mounted Acoustic Energy monitors add ambience/surround, but don't need to match the mains as critical music listening is stereo-only.  No space for, or interest in, a center channel. We don't need a ton of volume for this room.

I'm also thinking about newer speakers for a larger room with a pool table in it.  The challenge there is providing good sound across a larger area, and with listeners ears higher than normal (typically standing, or sitting on a taller stool).  That room is far less used, so it's not compelling to spend as much there.