BDP-2 Digital Player

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1100 on: 3 Jul 2015, 10:21 pm »
Hi Folks

I have experienced the same - not sure why but it needs to have the power cord unplugged and replugged - maybe Chris knows why?

james

If a error code trips and the linear supply is turned off and nothing done about it immediately (within a few minutes) then the micro controlling everything becomes unresponsive and this you need to pull the power cord.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1101 on: 3 Jul 2015, 10:25 pm »
I tested the BDP-2 with an SP3 using the USB and AES/EBU outputs.  The test files were 5.1 channel 96/24.

With both connections, the BDP-2 correctly showed the files as "Sample: 96000:24:6."  However, the SP3 only played the front R and L channels (i.e., the surround 3.1 channels were lost, not mixed into stereo).  Using the Bal1 input (AES/EBU) the SP3 shows "In: PCM 96k 2/0.0."  The USB input shows "In: PCM."

I do not have a BNC/RAC cable.  Therefore, I was not able to test the SPDIF (RCA) connection to see if it would receive a 5.1 or 2.0 signal from the BDP-2. 

I have about a dozen 5.1 tracks from a DVDA disk.  I ripped the disk to 96/24/5.1 flac.  I have two solutions to listen to the tracks. 
  • I play them through an OPPO BDP-93 using HDMI into the SP3.  The SP3 DAC then down mixes to stereo, because I only have a two channel setup.
  • I used foobar2000 to down mix from 5.1 to 2.0 and save as flac.  I can then play the 96/24/2.0 files through the BDP-2.
Candidly, the audio quality between the two solutions is pretty much identical (i.e., if I had to do a blind test, I doubt I could tell you which was which).  That makes sense, because the down mix should be bit perfect and identical, assuming that one setups up the initial rip and down mix correctly on their computer.

My preference is #2, because I have all my music in one place, on the BDP-2, versus switching to the OPPO to listen to a couple songs.

I hope you found this post of use and interest.

Anything coming out of the BDP's AES/EBU and BNC will identical, they are the same signal and will be limited to stereo.  The SP-3's USB is also limited to stereo and won't support surround.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1102 on: 3 Jul 2015, 10:49 pm »
I tested the BDP-2 with an SP3 using the USB and AES/EBU outputs.  The test files were 5.1 channel 96/24.

With both connections, the BDP-2 correctly showed the files as "Sample: 96000:24:6."  However, the SP3 only played the front R and L channels (i.e., the surround 3.1 channels were lost, not mixed into stereo).  Using the Bal1 input (AES/EBU) the SP3 shows "In: PCM 96k 2/0.0."  The USB input shows "In: PCM."

I do not have a BNC/RAC cable.  Therefore, I was not able to test the SPDIF (RCA) connection to see if it would receive a 5.1 or 2.0 signal from the BDP-2. 

I have about a dozen 5.1 tracks from a DVDA disk.  I ripped the disk to 96/24/5.1 flac.  I have two solutions to listen to the tracks. 
  • I play them through an OPPO BDP-93 using HDMI into the SP3.  The SP3 DAC then down mixes to stereo, because I only have a two channel setup.
  • I used foobar2000 to down mix from 5.1 to 2.0 and save as flac.  I can then play the 96/24/2.0 files through the BDP-2.
Candidly, the audio quality between the two solutions is pretty much identical (i.e., if I had to do a blind test, I doubt I could tell you which was which).  That makes sense, because the down mix should be bit perfect and identical, assuming that one setups up the initial rip and down mix correctly on their computer.

My preference is #2, because I have all my music in one place, on the BDP-2, versus switching to the OPPO to listen to a couple songs.

I hope you found this post of use and interest.

Thanks for your time and posting your results.

Perhaps it's something Stan can address in a firmware update with the SP3? If the SP3 can decode it correctly via HDMI, then it would seem it's capable.

- Garrett

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1103 on: 8 Jul 2015, 03:21 am »
...and what serial number would have the first new card implemented??

al.

...James, have you been able to find it out?

thanks,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1104 on: 8 Jul 2015, 03:23 am »

...James, have you been able to find it out?

thanks,

al.

No sorry not yet - it would be anything with a date code as of last month

james

Wave~Trader

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player's Latest Firmware
« Reply #1105 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:50 pm »
Hello,

Can someone tell me what the latest version of the BDP-2's firmware is?  On the Bryston site, the "Firmware" document refers to "the latest release of the S1 branch which is S1.75".  I've heard there is a later version, but can't find anything on the Bryston site or after a search of this topic re the latest version.

Thanks,

Wave~Trader

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1106 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:53 pm »
Hello,

Can someone tell me what the latest version of the BDP-2's firmware is?  On the Bryston site, the "Firmware" document refers to "the latest release of the S1 branch which is S1.75".  I've heard there is a later version, but can't find anything on the Bryston site or after a search of this topic re the latest version.

Thanks,

Wave~Trader

Whatever is on the site when you go to MM software update is the current version in production.

Beta versions are available by going to the browser and typing in a secret code.

james

srb

« Reply #1107 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:59 pm »

Not sure what firmware link you're referring to (or perhaps your browser needs refreshed?), but on the BDP-2 page, the Firmware link at the bottom of the page takes me to the document BDP-1 & BDP-2 Firmware Update Version S2.0: Manic Moose

In that document it says "In order to successfully update to Manic Moose, it is recommended that you update your existing firmware to the latest release of the S1 branch which is S1.75"

In other words, you need to make sure you are at version S1.75 before you update to version S2.0

Steve

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1108 on: 11 Jul 2015, 01:52 pm »

In that document it says "In order to successfully update to Manic Moose, it is recommended that you update your existing firmware to the latest release of the S1 branch which is S1.75"

In other words, you need to make sure you are at version S1.75 before you update to version S2.0

Steve

Ignore that bit

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1109 on: 14 Jul 2015, 07:04 pm »
HI Folks,

Chris did another video that shows off most of the features of the BDP Digital Player

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BOSS/BOSS%20Intro.html

direct video link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BOSS/BOSS%20Intro.mov

Cheers,
Chris

Don_S

« Reply #1110 on: 14 Jul 2015, 07:32 pm »
HI Folks,

Chris did another video that shows off most of the features of the BDP Digital Player

direct video link

Cheers,
Chris

I only get audio.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1111 on: 15 Jul 2015, 04:39 am »
Hello,

Thanks,

Wave~Trader

Hey Wave - Trader!

The Bryston website didn't reflect the current version the last time I looked. Instead, use the BDP web interface to check for an updated version.  THAT should point you at the most current version. Let us know if that works for you.

- Garrett

Marius

« Reply #1112 on: 15 Jul 2015, 08:13 am »
Very nice to have Chris explain things!

Chris, please check https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BOSS/BOSS%20Intro.html at 28' for an issue we've been posting about earlier: the missing album art for the first track.

Also, i was waiting for you to explain the 'jump to current track' feature, but arriving there, you say 'we'll get back to this later...' and i cant seem to find it. Did i miss it and if so where please?

Thanks,
Marius

HI Folks,

direct video link

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1113 on: 15 Jul 2015, 04:00 pm »
Very nice to have Chris explain things!

Chris, please check https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BOSS/BOSS%20Intro.html at 28' for an issue we've been posting about earlier: the missing album art for the first track.

Also, i was waiting for you to explain the 'jump to current track' feature, but arriving there, you say 'we'll get back to this later...' and i cant seem to find it. Did i miss it and if so where please?

Thanks,
Marius

Didn't quite cover everything I wanted to, but thought it was a fairly good start

Marius

« Reply #1114 on: 15 Jul 2015, 04:30 pm »
 :thumb:

Didn't quite cover everything I wanted to, but thought it was a fairly good start

MoPac

« Reply #1115 on: 15 Jul 2015, 05:05 pm »
BDP-2  S2.16 2015-06-19 
Drives:  Internal=Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD      External=Crucial 500GB SSD in an un-powered enclosure.

Chris:
 Was testing out a demo AES cable and decided to put the old one back in the system.  Powered down the BDP, powered down the DAC then changed cables.  When the BDP was powered back up it took longer than normal, ( probably the 2 minutes described in the manual ), after which the error 009 displayed.  I could not see whether the DAC locked or not as it was off.  Unplugged and re-plugged the BDP and it booted normally. 8)
 Other things that probably have no bearing, but I'll mention anyway.  MPAD was running with a playlist up, but stopped, when the first boot was attempted.  Also we have had a couple short, 1 second or so, power outages in the last couple weeks requiring an unplug - re-plug of the BDP.
 I looked at the System Log, but could only see the MPD log; The drop-down did not display any other options.

Should I be concerned at the display of 009 at this point? :?

Thanks, Rich

R. Daneel

« Reply #1116 on: 20 Jul 2015, 03:49 pm »
Hi!

Here's an interesting thing. At the moment I have both the BDP-1 and BDP-2 connected to the system.

Powering down sequence is different for the two players:

- pressing the power button on the BDP-1 turns the player off almost immediately,
- doing the same on the BDP-2 displays "Shutting down" for 20 seconds before the player powers down

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1117 on: 20 Jul 2015, 04:39 pm »
Hi!

Here's an interesting thing. At the moment I have both the BDP-1 and BDP-2 connected to the system.

- pressing the power button on the BDP-1 turns the player off almost immediately,
- doing the same on the BDP-2 displays "Shutting down" for 20 seconds before the player powers down

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi

Totally different main board so different shut down sequence.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1118 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:31 am »
BDP-2  S2.16 2015-06-19 
Drives:  Internal=Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD      External=Crucial 500GB SSD in an un-powered enclosure.

Chris:
 Was testing out a demo AES cable and decided to put the old one back in the system.  Powered down the BDP, powered down the DAC then changed cables.  When the BDP was powered back up it took longer than normal, ( probably the 2 minutes described in the manual ), after which the error 009 displayed.  I could not see whether the DAC locked or not as it was off.  Unplugged and re-plugged the BDP and it booted normally. 8)
 Other things that probably have no bearing, but I'll mention anyway.  MPAD was running with a playlist up, but stopped, when the first boot was attempted.  Also we have had a couple short, 1 second or so, power outages in the last couple weeks requiring an unplug - re-plug of the BDP.
 I looked at the System Log, but could only see the MPD log; The drop-down did not display any other options.

Should I be concerned at the display of 009 at this point? :?

Thanks, Rich

Could be a number of things, SSD's tend to use quite all lot of current during POST, so if the regulators were still at running temperature they may no have been able to provide the required current until they had a chance to cool down.  Could be one of your sata cables require reseating and POST was unable to finish probing he drives.  Or a number of other things

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1119 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:32 am »
Hi!

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Antun

Before manic moose we had filesystem issues with the internal storage, by ensuring a proper shutdown sequence we cut down on he number of filesystem corruption issues we were coming across.  Manic moose resolves this all together.