Lampizator GM70 amp

malpa

Re: Lampizator GM70 amp
« Reply #80 on: 20 Nov 2014, 07:35 pm »
In the newest version, the torroidal transformer is taken to the surface and enclosed in that shiny circular housing, freeing up space below for more components and easier servicing.

...the newest version has shinny toroidal transformer but only one rectifier. ...? My version has 2 of them so that means its fully tube rectified  psu. ., better or not? ..don't know but im guessing that from tube purist point of view. ..my raw designe is....;-).
best.

wisnon

« Reply #81 on: 20 Nov 2014, 08:05 pm »
That I can't answer. LoL

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #82 on: 20 Nov 2014, 09:29 pm »
...the newest version has shinny toroidal transformer but only one rectifier. ...? My version has 2 of them so that means its fully tube rectified  psu. ., better or not? ..don't know but im guessing that from tube purist point of view. ..my raw designe is....;-).
best.
Of course tube rect is better sound and more expensive too, use 1 or more capacitor and maybe others parts too, that a amp using a solidstate diode dont use.
Too a power transformer had to supply the rectifier tube heating.

More important as is said in the Lampizator site the rectifier tube will die in case of a mains wall prob saving the entire amp.
A solidstate diode will let it pass all, burning all the amp and maybe speakers.

malpa

« Reply #83 on: 20 Nov 2014, 09:41 pm »
That I can't answer. LoL

....,neither can i, i just said that to point out the changes between both versions, ...but what it does in real life,..perhaps saves some money for extra rectifier...and the sound remains the same or even better,...dont know,...but im happy to own one of the first versions,...they are very special to me.
 ( its like having the first ever made Audio Note amplifier from years ago,...who knows ...:-) Lukasz is already building some worlds best dacs....in 20 years time my amps may be very special to some ....?
...thanx for sharing your photos,...they look amazing.
best.

wisnon

« Reply #84 on: 20 Nov 2014, 09:45 pm »
My pleasure Malpa!

Lampizator

• Industry Participant
« Reply #85 on: 24 Nov 2014, 02:28 pm »
Hi, yes as you rightly notyiced we removed one rectifier feeding the big triode. In exchange we changed the small tube rectifier from small 6x5 (good up to 70 mA)  with the much more substantial and also DIRECTLY heated diode 5R4. So we improved the front end of the amp. The big triode puts such demand on the rectifier that it was not easy to design for it. Now we have solid state rectifier for 1000 V DC circuit and it improves bass and 3D while mids are slightly less sweet. It is a trade-off with wich I decided to live. I offset it with the above mentioned front tube improvement. One could argue that the old design was more tube-kosher.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #86 on: 24 Nov 2014, 11:06 pm »
These mods seems a evolution to me, a better 3D sound stage are always welcome, I sure the mids yet sound nice.
Regards