New Yes- "The Yes Album", Yes-"Progeny" and Roy Orbison-Mystery Girl......

Wayner

All 3 arrived today. The Yes Album is 45RPM, 2 LP box set from Friday Music. Hopefully it will be great. The 3LP Yes-Progeny LP is live material from various shows from 1972, remastered from the multi-tracks, produced by Rhino records. The Roy Orbison-Mystery Girl is a 2 LP set (with bonus songs), and is on the Legacy label.

Hopefully, I will have time to give you some insight to these recordings later today.

If you have these already, please post your thoughts...

'ner

Wayner

Here is my review of the Progeny LP: WOW!

Enough said.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
Nice.

Love Yes. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Yes Album too.

(Btw, listened to Buckingham/Nicks last night. Still and again, thanks! Don't happen to have a Nicolette do you?)

Wayner

Progeny is basically "Yessongs", recorded much better. Really good sonics in this version, tho And You and I was a bit out of tune at the beginning of the song. All selections are from live events. I'm glad I have added it to the collection.

It was waaaay too nice here yesterday to listen to the other LPs, so I was outside.

'ner

Wayner

I've just finished listening to the The Yes Album. Friday Music did a great job on this recording. Very detailed, very quiet and at 45 RPM, very dynamic. The 2 record LP came in a box, which I thought was nice, but perhaps over packaged.

Probably as close to the master tape as we are going to hear, unless you have friends on the inside. Great addition to the collection and highly recommended.

'ner

orthobiz

Hold the presses! The Yes Album on Friday music at 33 from a few years ago was not good at all, I've written how I had to take my college copy back from my daughter and gave her the new one (Mean Mr. Mustard got nothing on me!).

BUT, that wasn't the 45 rpm...this record is part of my DNA so maybe I'll try the Friday newer release.

Paul

orthobiz

But goodness knows I trust Wayner so I went ahead and ordered.

BTW Wayner, I pulled the trigger on XTC Nonsuch, on its way right now from Italy!

Paul

*Scotty*

Wayner, does the Progeny album also seem to be fairly uncompressed. I was eyeing the complete collection of CDs, but Rhino vandalized the the big 3 disc best of collection with compression to the point that it isn't worth owning. I figured the idiots probably did the same thing to the 7 CD set.
 It seems that it is a waste of time doing a brand new 24/96 remastering job only to ruin the end result with additional compression.
 I was hoping to see some High Definition downloads of the this material become available. I guess we will have to see if anyone thinks that a buck can be made from Hi-Rez versions of these concerts.
Scotty

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
I'm not a big fan of 45 rpm records, but I can't ignore Wayner's recommendation of an album I truly love. So I ordered one today from my B&M. Be here Monday; God willing and the creek don't rise.

Doc

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Hold the presses! The Yes Album on Friday music at 33 from a few years ago was not good at all, I've written how I had to take my college copy back from my daughter and gave her the new one (Mean Mr. Mustard got nothing on me!).

BUT, that wasn't the 45 rpm...this record is part of my DNA so maybe I'll try the Friday newer release.

Paul

It will be interesting see what you and others make of it.  I have generally avoided Friday Music releases because of the widely mixed reviews on most of their titles.

Please do follow up on this one and let us all know what you think.

Thanks.

--Jerome

Wayner

Paul, I was "gun" shy ordering this one too. I sent back Tormato as the right channel seemed to be cut off at about 5,000 cycles. How does stuff like this happen. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you will be impressed. Friday did do some good stuff like 90125, Drama, Big Generator and TFTO. CTTE was OK, Relayer is a grinding wheel.

Clean your records before you play them! I think some of the bad press that some of these LPs gets is from the sense that these LPs seem to having that grinder effect (which could be from the release agent imbedded in the vinyl pucks) and this needs to be cleaned out of the grooves before playing. I use my shop vac, then put the LP under the faucet and rinse them off to remove static.

Scotty - This is one of the "livelier" live albums that I have ever heard. The only thing about the LP is that a couple of the songs are not Yes's best performances, or at least, versions of the songs that I'm used to. The one thing you will notice is the position of each and every musician across the sound stage. All songs were recorded in 1972. Its claimed that they went to the original multi-track tapes and remixed to the standard 2 channel master.

Jerome- I agree that Friday has not had a stable track record (pun intended), but once in a while they do come thru. I wish they had released the entire Yes catalog on 45 RPM.
Hopefully others will confirm my opinions on these records.

Wayner

Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl pressing is almost a dead match to the earlier pressing that I have (Virgin Records). Record one is the complete recording, while record 2 contains studio outakes of the same songs (less "polished", no or little reverb).

If you don't have any Roy and would want at least one, this would be the one to get. Highly, wildly recommended.

'ner

Wayner

Paul, I do not believe Friday Music has ever released The Yes Album before. Perhaps it was on some other label????

'ner

orthobiz

Paul, I do not believe Friday Music has ever released The Yes Album before. Perhaps it was on some other label????

'ner

Triple OH NO!! You're right, it was on RHINO and it was noooooo good. Looking forward to Steve Howe playing against himself in alternating speakers at the end of Starship Trooper. One of the most emotional moments in rock!

Thanks for the correction.

Paul

orthobiz

The Yes Album on a one month backorder. Looks like Wayner got in at the right time~!

Paul

Wayner

Music Direct has it.......

vinyl_lady

Music Direct has it.......
My B&M will have it tomorrow. :thumb:

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
I ordered it from Acoustic Sounds yesterday with a bunch of other audiophile vinyl.  I'm a little surprised at myself for not waiting for more listener comments and pro reviews.

--Jerome

vinyl_lady

Jerome,

nice to see you posting. I hope you are doing well. I miss your posts.

Laura

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Thanks Laura.  That's very kind of you to say.

--Jerome