NFL Football ('14-'15)

SoCalWJS

Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #260 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:59 am »
Wouldn't be surprised if I misunderstood, SoCal.  You ever get to jazz clubs like The Lighthouse and Shelley's Manne Hole back in the day?  Hermosa Beach or something like that.
Nope - never made it there. Didn't move down here until '93 and I'm in the "Gorgeous" Inland Empire....Wish I had.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #261 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:31 am »
...I'm in the "Gorgeous" Inland Empire.....

Ever make it to Portillo's for an Italian Beef? Other than that, I've got nothing for the IE.  8)

If you're ever coming up to Ventura County, you should drop me a note.
To get back on topic; Congrats Colt McCoy!!! You kick ass, young man. Go get 'em.  :beer:

Have fun,

Jerry

jimdgoulding

« Reply #262 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:26 am »
Ventora County?  Damn, son, I'm in New Orleans in December and here I thought you are a home boy with some news I can use.  PM me if this is so.  Thanks, mucho.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #263 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:22 am »
Oh, snap! :lol:  I know Robin/Satfrat will see this so I ask- is this a bump in the road or the beginning of the inevitable collapse? :icon_twisted: :P

jackman

« Reply #264 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:54 pm »
Emperors don't win football games.  Coaches and players do.  I'm bettin that there are some head coaches that wouldn't take a job in Dallas unless the money was so good it superseded their desire to coach a winning franchise.  The reason I loathe Jerry Jones is because of where the team is today.  I used to be a Cowboys fan for cryin out loud so it probably pisses me off more than the average guy.  Yeah, let's put Romo back in cause he's so passionate about it.  He's so immobile and can't see downfield under pressure he was sacked for the next 3 downs and they had to punt.  Garrett would have probably put him in even if Jones were up in his skybox, but I would have liked to have seen if he wouldn't have if Jones weren't present.  Jones can't leave Romo or Garrett alone, imo, cause he doesn't trust them enough and he is compelled to be hands-on with his investment.  He thinks the franchise is the better for him, or maybe he needs to prove it is.  Good luck with these guys.

Jerry Jones is a complete MORON and I could not be happier to see him blow another game.  Romo had no business going back in that game, he's a brave guy and is very tough.  The Cowboys should have kept him on the bench and rolled the dice with the backup.  They are lucky Romo wasn't permanently injured because he could barely move out there. 

They have an awesome running game and I'm amazed they didn't roll the dice with the backup.  IMO, they would have had a better chance of winning.  I heard stories this morning on Sports Radio where Jones said he never asked Romo to come back into the game but it sure didn't look like it to me.  I officially hate the Cowboys as long as Jones is the owner. 

I'd pay money to see Jerry Jones get the Ray Rice treatment in an elevator.   :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #265 on: 30 Oct 2014, 12:15 am »
Oh, snap! :lol:  I know Robin/Satfrat will see this so I ask- is this a bump in the road or the beginning of the inevitable collapse? :icon_twisted: :P
Talked to Robin by email over the last couple of days.  I think we agree that the Washington game was the type game that usually comes along to a winning team... a decent team with a bad record, in the division so they know you well, a dose of overconfidence, and a couple of turnovers.  Dallas isn't likely to collapse with their running game, unless an injured Romo doesn't take the time to heal.  He probably has a bruised kidney (blood in urine) and possibly another but different back issue. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #266 on: 30 Oct 2014, 02:29 am »

From the other side of the fence I think bump in the road, trap game, whatever.  I anticipate the O line will adjust knowing they'll be facing blitz happy AZ.  If they can't, then it's the beginning of the end.  Romo won't last long taking those hits which would then become the blueprint for all of the other teams on the schedule.  A much more pivotal game this week than the Redskins loss, but as I said, I expect them to adjust.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #267 on: 30 Oct 2014, 01:19 pm »
Arizona. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #268 on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:04 pm »
Arizona and Dallas - two teams playing over their heads so far.

Romo ( if he plays the whole game ) over Palmer.

Fitzgerald over Bryant.

Arians over Garrett.

Dallas is headed for 6-3 record.

Murray will be contained. Sorry.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #269 on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:05 pm »
Bigger question --- do the Patriots continue their home dominance over the Broncos?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #270 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:40 pm »
Bigger question --- do the Patriots continue their home dominance over the Broncos?

Yup, I am also interested...  IMO, if the Broncos can play as well as they have done the last two games, the Pats do not have a chance at winning this game; but keeping up that high level of play will be a challenge for the Broncos on the road.  Should be an interesting game.

Freo-1

« Reply #271 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:31 pm »
Yup, I am also interested...  IMO, if the Broncos can play as well as they have done the last two games, the Pats do not have a chance at winning this game; but keeping up that high level of play will be a challenge for the Broncos on the road.  Should be an interesting game.

I have a different take...If the Pats offense plays as well against the Broncos as they did against "da Bears", then they have a very good shot at beating the Broncos.    :o

It will be a must watch game. 

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #272 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:51 pm »

I have a different take...If the Pats offense plays as well against the Broncos as they did against "da Bears", then they have a very good shot at beating the Broncos.    :o

It will be a must watch game.

Ahh, well, of course you are entilted to your opinion, but mine is very different.  The Broncos D has started to prove their mettle in the past two weeks.  Last week against the hottest (at least until then) QB in the League (the hated Phillip Rivers) the Broncos D kept the Chargers totally frustrated.  If this defense can even play at 2/3s that level in NE, Brady and the Pats will have no chance. 
The reality is, if the Broncos play as well as last week, I know of no team in the NFL which could beat them, just not possible.  The only question is whether they can go on the road, and play at the same level.  Brady should be afraid, very afraid.  I suspect that Gronkowski will be seeing a lot of the ball, if the Pats are going to have a chance, he will have to have a huge game, as he may be able to exploit the fact that the Broncos are without LB Danny Trevathian, although Danny's absense did not help Tony Gonzales all that much...

Freo-1

« Reply #273 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:57 pm »
Ahh, well, of course you are entilted to your opinion, but mine is very different.  The Broncos D has started to prove their mettle in the past two weeks.  Last week against the hottest (at least until then) QB in the League (the hated Phillip Rivers) the Broncos D kept the Chargers totally frustrated.  If this defense can even play at 2/3s that level in NE, Brady and the Pats will have no chance. 
The reality is, if the Broncos play as well as last week, I know of no team in the NFL which could beat them, just not possible.  The only question is whether they can go on the road, and play at the same level.  Brady should be afraid, very afraid.  I suspect that Gronkowski will be seeing a lot of the ball, if the Pats are going to have a chance, he will have to have a huge game, as he may be able to exploit the fact that the Broncos are without LB Danny Trevathian, although Danny's absense did not help Tony Gonzales all that much...

The Lions could give Manning fits if they are on their game.  Just ask Aaron Rogers.  He took a beating against them.   :lol:

OK, back to this weeks game.  The Pats are starting to find their sea legs.  The O Line has finally figured out how to block.  I would hold off anointing the Broncos king of the football universe for now.   I do agree with the fact that Gronk will have to have a huge game. 

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #274 on: 30 Oct 2014, 09:07 pm »
Not annointing any kings, after all, anything can happen.
Bring it on!  Looking forward to watching the game.

Freo-1

« Reply #275 on: 30 Oct 2014, 09:08 pm »
Not annointing any kings, after all, anything can happen.
Bring it on!  Looking forward to watching the game.

Me too!  :thumb:

Pneumonic

« Reply #276 on: 30 Oct 2014, 09:11 pm »
The Pats/Broncos tilt outta be a memorable one. Both Brady and Manning are playing lights out and leading their respective offenses in dominating fashion.

Both defenses will be in for a stern test. Belichick re-built his defense to excel against the pass just for this type of game against Manning. Elway has added key pieces as well and they can get after the QB.

If this game was in Denver then I'm not sure the Pats OT's could handle Miller and Ware. But, in the friendly confines of Gillette, don't be so sure. Especially if the weather is windy and cold as may well be the case this weekend.

If the Broncos should earn a road win this Sunday they will have earned it. The Pats have a - longest in NFL history - 33 straight regular season home wins against AFC opponents (dating back to 2008). And they are particularly good in October when at home - having gone 24-1 - dating back to 2003.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #277 on: 30 Oct 2014, 10:10 pm »
Guys, by no means am I sure of a Broncos win vs the Pats this weekend!  Read my post, I qualified it.  I do believe the Broncos will win IF they play as well as they did against the Bolts and Niners, but like I said, that is a big IF on the road in NE.

I do not think this game is about the Broncos O though, I think it is all about the defense (perhaps for both teams).  The pass rush is really coming around, the Broncos DBs are playing really well, and they are stuffing the run.  The big question mark for me will be how well the broncos D can deal with limiting Gronk.  I do not think the Pats O line will be able to delay the Broncos pass rush long enough for Pats WRs to get open all that often as Miller and Ware are on a tear, and the Broncos are solid in the DB.

TomS

« Reply #278 on: 30 Oct 2014, 11:07 pm »
So who have the Patriots beaten? Minnesota, Oakland, Cinci (playing poorly, e.g. the Colts shutout), Buffalo (Kyle Orton, really?), NYJ, Chicago (in the tank). The Broncos will be a bit bigger test for them, even at friendly Foxboro.

jackman

« Reply #279 on: 31 Oct 2014, 05:51 pm »
So who have the Patriots beaten? Minnesota, Oakland, Cinci (playing poorly, e.g. the Colts shutout), Buffalo (Kyle Orton, really?), NYJ, Chicago (in the tank). The Broncos will be a bit bigger test for them, even at friendly Foxboro.

Good point, the Pats have feasted on bad teams, and have looked bad against Miami and KC (I think both of those were road games).  Brady and company seem to have sorted out their offensive problems and Gronk is quickly getting back into All-World form, and Forsett (sp?) seems to be clicking with Brady over the past few weeks. 

Denver has looked great on both sides of the ball, putting pressure on QB's and playing solid defense.  Manning has been virtually unstoppable and he's got a great group of WR's (and an excellent receiving TE) to choose from.  The Denver running game has looked good with Hillman replacing Ball, and the Foxboro meeting should be the BIGGEST test of the year for the Broncos.  Captain Hoodie seems to have Manning's number throughout his career but it's impossible for me to NOT pick the Broncos in this one. 

Lastly, please note my comments could be biased.  I've got Manning, Sanders and Forsett on my fantasy team and had Hillman.  I mainly care about the performance of these players in Sunday's game and less about the outcome. 

Freo - Rodgers struggled against the hapless Saints.  I'm confident Manning would destroy the Lions if they were to meet this year.  Not sure how that's going to happen because the Lions will be done playing soon after the regular season (but probably not as soon as the Bears).   :thumb: