Recommended upgrades to a Cary Audio SLI 80

Flac2Dac

Re: Recommended upgrades to a Cary Audio SLI 80
« Reply #20 on: 3 Nov 2017, 04:50 pm »
Rectifiers can matter a lot.  Depends on the circuit. But that said, that is too $ for that tube. It’s a$20 tube on a good day. 5U4gb are all over the place.

Of course, a quick Google...and I'm mired in the whole does-the-rectifier-make-a-difference-or-not debate.

Of those who seem to think it does; it appears RCAs, are a very safe bet? I tend to like Tung-Sols for value, and GLs for sonics (though I don't think, GL makes a 5U4).

Can someone, give me a lay-man's rundown...on going SS on the rectifier??

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 3 Nov 2017, 06:28 pm »
Do NOT go SS on the rectifier.  Part of what a tube rectifier gives you is a slow ramp up on voltage, which will extend the life of your other tubes.  SS rectifiers blast the tubes with high voltage immediately.  That might be OK if the amp was designed for it, but my experience is that amps designed for a tube rectifier should never try to switch over to SS.  Not if you value longevity in your other tubes. 

RCA's are what I would recommend.  It's a solid tube that will give you good sound.  If you want to experiment with other tubes, it'll give you a good basis for doing that, too.

JackD

« Reply #22 on: 3 Nov 2017, 06:36 pm »
Agree with Tyson.  RCA, Tung-Sol or even Sylvania from the 40's to the mid-50's.  You can find them on Ebay with patience or you can just call Andy at Vintage Tube Services. 

Flac2Dac

« Reply #23 on: 3 Nov 2017, 08:01 pm »
 :thumb:

ASMAN

« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2017, 01:59 pm »
I got my SLI-80 about 7-8 years ago used.
It had all EH tubes except for rectifier tubes which were SED 5u4's.
First replacement tubes were all EH except for the rectifiers I went NOS Sylvanias.
The change of rectifiers made a nice improvement in the lower regions.
Next I got some early 50's Sylvania 6SN7's. The improvement was substantial. I didn't realize how harsh the EH made the unit sound.
Next was NOS Sylvania 7308's. WOW that made a huge difference. I have tried Bugle Boys, Amperex 6DJ8's, and other NOS but I always come back to the 7308.

For power tubes I have tried EH KT88, TS 6550 RI, Gold Lions, then TS KT 120, an excellent tube but recently went back to the GL's and probably will stick with them.
Of all power tubes the TS 6550 were the most bland.
I run the unit in triode 95% of the time.
Hope this helps.

Marlin

Flac2Dac

« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2017, 04:46 am »
^^ TY Asman.

So...I've been reading, on the unit and tubes; 6SN7s specifically.

I can't tell you, how many times I've seen the same thing: that the EH 6SN7, is a horrible...not bad...horrible-sounding tube.

I'm pretty new, to NOS; but I do know...a guy can get taken for a ride. In fact...I think that's why, even though I've had a good number of tube units (mostly pre-amps though, where maybe a 12somethng doesn't make that big a different); I've steered clear. I mean...I don't understand the getter, and the certain printing and logos; it really is, a fetish property, yes.

It reminds me of this...

https://youtu.be/Bu-A8YfC4w0

I've heard the names over the years; can't remember them, and I'm sure they are as du jour as many things.

So...who are the tube mongers, to look to. Right now...my safest bet, based on the little research I've done; are perhaps these https://www.tubedepot.com/products/rca-6sn7gt-gtb-black-plate

JackD

« Reply #26 on: 19 Nov 2017, 05:03 am »
Chris

That RCA is a good "mellow silky mid-range" tube, I have a handful of them.  Your safest bet for NOS tubes is Andy at Vintage Tube Services who you can talk to on the phone about your gear and what sound you are looking for.  Also in addition to testing tubes on testers he tests them in actual gear for noise. The other guys only test for numbers. 

chgolatin2

« Reply #27 on: 25 Dec 2017, 09:51 pm »
You really need to try other tubes before spending any money on internal upgrades.  I can promise you that replacing the 6SN7s with some nice NOS tubes will make a huge difference.  The drivers you are using do not sound very good at all.  For just $100-$150 you could make a significant improvement of the sound.

Hi, sorry for the late response~  I actually reposted my thread~  I need help upgrading my tubes~

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #28 on: 25 Dec 2017, 10:11 pm »
Chris

That RCA is a good "mellow silky mid-range" tube, I have a handful of them.  Your safest bet for NOS tubes is Andy at Vintage Tube Services who you can talk to on the phone about your gear and what sound you are looking for.  Also in addition to testing tubes on testers he tests them in actual gear for noise. The other guys only test for numbers.
+1 on VTS.  Would be interesting to see what Cary Technical Support have to suggest on this amp.