BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

R. Daneel

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #840 on: 10 Oct 2014, 05:58 pm »
Hi fellas!

What does Error 09 mean? I haven't listened to my BDP-1 for a while but when I turned it on today, it boots up but all it displays is the Error 09 and I can't do anyhing but power it off. I tried unplugging it but it didn't help and it always shows the same Error 09...

What shall I do?

R. Daneel

« Reply #841 on: 10 Oct 2014, 06:02 pm »
Oh my...

Would this have to do with the fact I had the BDA-2 connected to it with both the USB cable and an AES cable?

I got the AES cable and was to do some comparisons. Is it possible this causes the Error 09?
Antun

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #842 on: 10 Oct 2014, 06:11 pm »
Antun, this is how Chris described Error 09 in December of 2013 - post 45 of this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114816.0

"Hi Guys,

The error 09 means that the microprocessor that turns the power supply on/off and controls the buttons/display on the front of the unit hasn't received any communication from the mainboard within two minutes of power being applied.  If you get error 09 you should turn the unit off, then back on and pay attention to your DAC.  If your DAC is receiving signal from the BDP before the error 09 message appears then its likely a loose cable inside your system.  The serial cable in a BDP-1 is a ten pin grey ribbon cable to runs from the front of the unit to the mainboard, just behind the RS232 port on the rear.  A BDP-2 uses a cable made of five individual wires (red, blue, green, black and brown; please keep in mind I'm colour blind so I may have those colours wrong), we have had one occasion that i can recall where one of the wires had  broken from the connector.

If the DAC isn't receiving lock/signal then either the BDP is trying to boot from another source (another drive), doesn't have enough power to POST or the BDP's internal CF card (Kingston or Apacer) is no longer functioning.  To determine which is the case, whether it be the drives/power or the cf card, unplug all the drives from the BDP and try powering it on.  If the error continues you will need to either follow the instructions list below, or if your unable to do so we can make arrangements for repair.

BDP Reimage CF Card on Mac OS X(PDF)
BDP Reimage CF Card on Windows (PDF)

Cheers,
Chris"

Hope this helps, Antun.

Rich

R. Daneel

« Reply #843 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:26 pm »
Okay, I discovered what is wrong.

The machine never passes the "Initializing..." point. After a while it displays "Error 09". I trued restarting the machine 5 times and in each case the same happened - "Error 09".

I then unplugged the machine and plugged it back in. I started it up and the same thing happened again. I restarted it 5 times and still, it did not pass the "Initializing..." point.

During each of these incidents, the USB thumbdrive was plugged into one of the BDP-1's front USB ports. I switched the USB thumbdrive between the left and right port but it didn't help.

I then disconnected the USB thumbdrive and started the machine and it did actually pass the "Initializing..." point and displayed "Installing MPD" and eventually booted properly!

Just to be sure, I restarted the BDP-1 a few more times with no USB thumdrive and each time it booted properly.

Then I thought there must be something wrong with that particular USB thumbdrive as I bought it today. It is made by Intenso. So I plugged that thumbdrive back in and started the machine and the same "Error 09" appeared again. I dosconnected the thumbdrive and started the machine with no thumbdrives attached and it booted properly.

To be certain, I took out a few other USB thumbdrives, including the one provided by Bryston, and with each of these USB thumbdrives, the machine booted properly!

What's more, once the BDP-1 booted properly, I connected that Intenso thumbdrive, it too played properly. The machine just would not boot up with that Intenso thumbdrive already plugged into the machine.

Is this strange? Can anyone explain this please? Chris perhaps?
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #844 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:36 pm »
Okay, I discovered what is wrong.

The machine never passes the "Initializing..." point. After a while it displays "Error 09". I trued restarting the machine 5 times and in each case the same happened - "Error 05".

I then unplugged the machine and plugged it back in. I started it up and the same thing happened again. I restarted it 5 times and still, it did not pass the "Initializing..." point.

During each of these incidents, the USB thumbdrive was plugged into one of the BDP-1's front USB ports. I switched the USB thumbdrive between the left and right port but it didn't help.

I then disconnected the USB thumbdrive and started the machine and it did actually pass the "Initializing..." point and displayed "Installing MPD" and eventually booted properly!

Just to be sure, I restarted the BDP-1 a few more times with no USB thumdrive and each time it booted properly.

Then I thought there must be something wrong with that particular USB thumbdrive as I bought it today. It is made by Intenso. So I plugged that thumbdrive back in and started the machine and the same "Error 09" appeared again. I dosconnected the thumbdrive and started the machine with no thumbdrives attached and it booted properly.

To be certain, I took out a few other USB thumbdrives, including the one provided by Bryston, and with each of these USB thumbdrives, the machine booted properly!

What's more, once the BDP-1 booted properly, I connected that Intenso thumbdrive, it too played properly. The machine just would not boot up with that Intenso thumbdrive already plugged into the machine.

Is this strange? Can anyone explain this please? Chris perhaps?
Antun

That is weird - can you send me a link and we will try to buy a unit to test.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #845 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:43 pm »
That is weird - can you send me a link and we will try to buy a unit to test.

james

Hi James!

I can do that, if I can find it online. I can put the drive in an envelope and send it across by post. You'd be getting "the" thumbdrive that way, not just "a" thumbdrive.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #846 on: 10 Oct 2014, 09:01 pm »
Hi James!

I can do that, if I can find it online. I can put the drive in an envelope and send it across by post. You'd be getting "the" thumbdrive that way, not just "a" thumbdrive.

OK if you do not mind send it to me.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #847 on: 10 Oct 2014, 09:10 pm »
OK if you do not mind send it to me.

james

Of course I don't mind! I'll send you a chocolate along with it.

Please send me the address by PM.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #848 on: 10 Oct 2014, 09:58 pm »
Of course I don't mind! I'll send you a chocolate along with it.

Please send me the address by PM.

Cheers!
Antun

Just send to the Bryston factory to my attention please.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #849 on: 10 Oct 2014, 10:13 pm »
Just send to the Bryston factory to my attention please.

james

Very well, it will be in the post early next week.

Thank you!

Best wishes,
Antun

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #850 on: 11 Oct 2014, 12:28 am »
It might be the way the USB drive is formatted.

When a computer boots up, it looks for drives that might have an operating system on them. If the drive was formatted in a way that's causing the BIOS some confusion, it could get hung up.

I'd copy all the files from a questionable USB drive to your computer, then use a utility to format the USB drive. Start with FAT32 as the format (it'll support up to a 4GB file size and a 2TB drive). I prefer Rufus USB formatting utility for windows (it's free too!). Then plug the drive in with the BPD-1/BDP-2 off and boot it up to see if it works.

If that works, you can try other formats to be adventurous. If you don't get any errors, copy your files over and you should be good.

- Garrett

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #851 on: 11 Oct 2014, 01:40 am »
Glad you got it working, Antun. I hope you're enjoying your BDP-1 and BDA-2.

I've been listening to the HDTracks 96/24 files of Karajan's 1963 Beethoven symphonies. The clarity and definition of instruments and orchestral sections pull one into the music. I must have a dozen or more versions of these works, but this presentation through the BDP/BDA is extremely engaging.

Best fishes,

Rich

R. Daneel

« Reply #852 on: 11 Oct 2014, 12:17 pm »
Hi fellas!

I tried it a few more times this morning and the same thing happened. It does not matter which USB port of the BDP-1 is used, front or back, it hangs on "Initializing..." and then displays the "Error 09". But only if that Intenso flash drive is plugged in. It boots properly and quickly with every other flash drive that I have so it has to be this particular flash drive that is causing the problem.

I will have it sent to James for an inspection.

Rich, that very Intenso flash drive is the one I used to listen to the music you've sent me. I haven't even had the time to listen to any of it and intended to do so this weekend. The 1963 Karajan's interpretation of Beethoven's glorious 5th symphony is the best I have heard. Without a doubt, a spectacular recording of such a passionate and dramatic performance. It left a profound impression on me. The clarity added by the high-res sampling is immediate and striking. In some ways, this recording somehow sounds more real and tactile than the amazing recording of the Stravinsky's The rite of Spring you sent me. The BDA-2 is a high-performance D/A converter no doubt but the BDP-1 did something to the sound that I like very much. It added immediacy, composure and texture to every aspect of the performance as if it brought me closer to the musical happening. It is an amazing machine.

Geez, I haven't even thanked you for the music you sent me... I'm terrible.

Hope you're doing well!

PRELUDE

« Reply #853 on: 20 Oct 2014, 11:30 pm »
Hi folks,
Just a quick question here.
My DSL modem and router both are located in the kitchen and I am in progress to move them in one of my bedrooms which will be the permanent location. Right now I am running a very long ETHERNET cable from BDP-1 to router and I was wondering if there is a way to eliminate this cable and connect the BDP-1 to router wireless.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #854 on: 21 Oct 2014, 12:26 am »
Hi folks,
Just a quick question here.
My DSL modem and router both are located in the kitchen and I am in progress to move them in one of my bedrooms which will be the permanent location. Right now I am running a very long ETHERNET cable from BDP-1 to router and I was wondering if there is a way to eliminate this cable and connect the BDP-1 to router wireless.

You could use a wireless bridge or a powerline av kit.

Cheers
Chris

PRELUDE

« Reply #855 on: 21 Oct 2014, 12:53 am »
You could use a wireless bridge or a powerline av kit.

Cheers
Chris
Thanks Chris,
 I am searching for this right now. Do you have any recommended brand? and can I update the firmware the same way or I have to move the BDP-1 and connect it with cable again?

Thanks,

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #856 on: 21 Oct 2014, 04:58 am »
The BDP won't know it's wireless, so you should be able to update it just fine.

bjski

« Reply #857 on: 21 Oct 2014, 01:04 pm »
I'm using an AsusRT-N66U as the router. I have my BDP-2 wired to that router. I purchased a AsusEA-N66 extender which I placed near my BDP-1. I ran a short Ethernet wire
from the Asus extender to the BDP-1 and it works great. The only complaint I have with the Asus extender is it only has one Ethernet port. You could always get an adapter if you need more devices wired.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #858 on: 24 Oct 2014, 06:57 am »
The reason it only has one port is because the adapter gets issued an IP address, like a wireless cell phone or tablet. Since only one device can use an IP address, it'd be impossible to have multiple devices on the other end of an adapter.

If you want to accomplish that, you'd have to use a second router, instead of an adapter, and create a sub network.

- Garrett

PRELUDE

« Reply #859 on: 25 Oct 2014, 04:55 am »
Thanks everybody.
I was coming home today from work and stopped by home depot and got this Linksys PLEK400 powerline AV1 and it works great.