I'm contemplating juicing as a meal replacement for one meal a day...

Folsom

I knew that over cooking rice (and oatmeal and likely most grains) to where it is gooey mush, greatly increases it's glycemic load. It's interesting that cooling it will decrease the glycemic load. I'm sure this varies a bit on how much the grains are cooked to begin with. I'll have to investigate this. I'm wondering if this might apply to other foods, like potatoes and yams.

I don't eat potatoes (not healthy, color doesn't matter), and yams I do not due to low stomach acid.

Potato starch I can do, but it doesn't move fast, perhaps too much potassium or something.

The rice is refreshing. It'd be great to know other things. I eat lentils, they're very low GI, nutritious, but rice feels better when cooled. I really didn't know that when ai use to cook enough rice for a two days, that was a reason for feeling better. Hooked now.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I've been eating cooked and cooled rice. Well I might re-heat it again (not microwave).

I can confirm the resistant starch factor is very friendly, very good, for anyone aiming to keep blood sugar and cravings down. You can also eat a little more. I'm impressed with the information, it made my general digestion feel nice.

Glad to help!  I know I was ecstatic when rice was back on the menu for me.  Also goes to my theory that sushi is the most healthy food on the planet :P  At least as long as you use gluten free soy sauce (Tamari Sauce).  Cause regular soy sauce is made from......WHEAT! 

Folsom

I don't enjoy seafood  :(

There's other very low GI food. Millet is great for non A antigen.I had a roommate who ate millet, bison , and vegetables (mostly Swiss chard, onion, garlic and peppers). He has a six pack, fit like Jason Statham but better looking.

Now he drinks some alcohol, eats some bread products, and is O+. He bitches about weight but refuses to cut the heaps of carbs and start stuffin the red meat.

RDavidson

I don't eat potatoes (not healthy, color doesn't matter), and yams I do not due to low stomach acid.

Potato starch I can do, but it doesn't move fast, perhaps too much potassium or something.

The rice is refreshing. It'd be great to know other things. I eat lentils, they're very low GI, nutritious, but rice feels better when cooled. I really didn't know that when ai use to cook enough rice for a two days, that was a reason for feeling better. Hooked now.

I used to feel the same way about potatoes as you and generally avoided them, but they have a place in a proper diet and exercise (weight training) regimen. They can be easily replaced with better carbs, sure, but every now and then those other options just won't do it for me. Sometimes I just want a potato.
With that said, any info on how various levels of cooking grains and starchy vegetables as well as how cooling affects them, would be great.

Tyson

I used to feel the same way about potatoes as you and generally avoided them, but they have a place in a proper diet and exercise (weight training) regimen. They can be easily replaced with better carbs, sure, but every now and then those other options just won't do it for me. Sometimes I just want a potato.
With that said, any info on how various levels of cooking grains and starchy vegetables as well as how cooling affects them, would be great.

Here ya go - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2006.tb00076.x/pdf

RDavidson

Awesome. Thanks!

JackD201

I don't know about meal replacement but I will sat that nothing, nothing, not even a gallon of gatorade has cured me of a hangover faster than 700ml of cold pressed apple, pear, celery, cucumber and orange juice.

Folsom

I don't know about meal replacement but I will sat that nothing, nothing, not even a gallon of gatorade has cured me of a hangover faster than 700ml of cold pressed apple, pear, celery, cucumber and orange juice.

Are you saying juicing bars will be successful because of hangovers, and not hippies obsessed with purity or whatever?  I met a guy at a health food bar so into juice that he sought jobs associated with it. Maybe he doesn't have to worry about money or something....

RDavidson

Juice bars have their place. There are a lot worse things to consume. The REALLY bad thing about them are the juice bar spin-offs that market things as "healthy" because the smoothies or whatever have some nutritious ingredients, but are otherwise LOADED with sugar and empty calories. People will blindly go to these places to get a "healthy" snack or meal replacement. But, then again, there are still worse things to consume......and on and on it goes.
At least sodas are banned from schools and other places, so that's a start. I just wish people could learn self control. That's really what a lot of our health issues stem from. Forget exercise and all that other stuff. If people would just stop eating garbage EVERY SINGLE DAY and surrounding themselves with it, I can only imagine what it'd do for not only our health and health care system, but also work force productivity and the economy.

JackD201

Are you saying juicing bars will be successful because of hangovers, and not hippies obsessed with purity or whatever?  I met a guy at a health food bar so into juice that he sought jobs associated with it. Maybe he doesn't have to worry about money or something....

Wouldn't that be ironic. Bar fly by night, juice bar fly by day  :lol:

Nah, I don't think so  :lol:

wushuliu

Wayner,
Way better source of Vit D - sunshine. 

I've discovered that sugar, grains, and dairy are actually addictive to the human body.  The more you ask people to stop eating them (even temporarily), the more they will fight you, tooth and nail, to INSIST that they cannot.  It's a pretty strong emotional reaction to a relatively benign suggestion.  People will cut down/out red meat, saturated fats, eggs, etc...without much of a qualm.  But, ask them to give up their whole grain bagels with cream cheese and you are in for a FIGHT!

True. It's amazing how we can make the most irrational statements to satisfy the urge for carbs/sugars. My gf and I have reduced both by a lot but when we do slip the stuff we say to ourselves to justify more makes us sound just like addicts. Both enlightening and embarrassing.

Pneumonic

Best thing I ever did for my body was to stabilize my blood sugar levels by eating the proper blend of proteins, fats and carbs, in small portions, 5-6 times a day. I also juice and water fast twice a year and have never felt better. I am 52 and feel my body is slowly hitting a perfect balance state. As an added bonus, I swear my hearing has improved. Especially after water fasting. No lie!

Guy 13

Best thing I ever did for my body was to stabilize my blood sugar levels by eating the proper blend of proteins, fats and carbs, in small portions, 5-6 times a day. I also juice and water fast twice a year and have never felt better. I am 52 and feel my body is slowly hitting a perfect balance state. As an added bonus, I swear my hearing has improved. Especially after water fasting. No lie!
Hi Pneumonic.
I am soon to be 67 and I am Diabetes type 2 I went from 8.6 down to 6.4 (Blood sugar)
therefore I am getting back into normality. (If that way of saying makes sense.)
Next month the doctor will make a follow-up on my blood sugar and if the results are good,
I hope to get of the pills. (Glucophage).
May I ask what you mean by: Water fasting ?
May I ask again what is your blend of proteins, fats and carb.
What vegetables, fruits  and others do you throw in your (Blender) mix?
Very anxious to read your food mix receipt to success.
Thanks.

Guy 13 on planet Vietnam.

Tyson

True. It's amazing how we can make the most irrational statements to satisfy the urge for carbs/sugars. My gf and I have reduced both by a lot but when we do slip the stuff we say to ourselves to justify more makes us sound just like addicts. Both enlightening and embarrassing.

Although, my 7 year old daughter wanted to make homemade ice cream after reading Nancy Drew "Scream for Ice Cream", and dammit, I'm having some!  Hahaha.

RDavidson

Although, my 7 year old daughter wanted to make homemade ice cream after reading Nancy Drew "Scream for Ice Cream", and dammit, I'm having some!  Hahaha.

Yup. Carbs aren't necessarily the devil. Our addictions and lack of self control are. Giving into your desires isn't a bad thing here and there as long as you have the discipline to stop when you should or set healthy limits. For some, who have spiraled down the carb hole, it is easier said than done. I thank my parents for feeding me vegetables, despite my complaints, and not bringing a lot of junk food into the house. Now I love vegetables and still don't eat a lot of junk at my own will.

Pneumonic

Heya, Guy.  Glad to see you are seeing positive results in your attempt to control your blood sugar.  It was a seriously high type II diabetes condition that my Dad suffered from that got me delving into diet and how mastering it could control one’s diabetes, without the use of pharmaceuticals.

The system I ended up finding and subsequently following worked miraculously and has been a part of my everyday life ever since.

Here are some picture notes which may prove beneficial.

I like to use http://myfitnesspal.com/ to keep track of proteins, carbs and fat amounts.

Pneumonic

As for fasting .... there is much controversy on the subject. I have juice and water fasted for many years now and believe very strongly in its health benefits.

I strongly recommend water fasting only after undergoing a complete physical which shows you as healthy.

This is a good read on the subject.

http://naturalhygienesociety.org/articles/fasting1.html

Tyson

Ate the ice cream, it was delicious.  But now my stomach fcking hurts.  Grrr...

Guy 13

As for fasting .... there is much controversy on the subject. I have juice and water fasted for many years now and believe very strongly in its health benefits.

I strongly recommend water fasting only after undergoing a complete physical which shows you as healthy.

This is a good read on the subject.

http://naturalhygienesociety.org/articles/fasting1.html

Hi Pneumonic.
Thanks for the info,
after reading all of it,
I've learn a thing or two that will help me with my Diabetes eating habit.

Guy 13

ctviggen

The best advice for anyone who is insulin resistant or diabetic is to avoid carbohydrates.  Do not eat fruits (other than maybe berries, and only few of those), any whole or not whole grain, pasta, bread, etc.  Do not drink beer.  If you want alcohol, choose wine or hard liquor.  Raise your fat level (fat does not cause weight gain, carbohydrates do). 

There is some evidence that certain prebiotics (such as rice and potatoes) can be eaten and not cause a blood sugar increase.  Personally, the jury for me is still out on that.  I avoid any of these also, but will partake of them rarely. 

I used to eat less than 10 percent of my calories as fat, because I believed in the "experts".  I ate some kind of hot grain cereal for breakfast, pasta for lunch, and rice and beans for dinner.  I couldn't understand why I was hungry all the time, my emotions were out of control, and I could eat a high carb meal and be hungry literally 10 minutes later.  It was because my blood sugar and insulin control was bad, and this happened while I was riding a racing bike 60+ miles a week and lifting weights.

Now, I eat as much fat as I can.  I add butter (grass fed) and coconut oil to my coffee.  I do not eat fruit, except berries, and those rarely.  I do not eat any grain, except once in a while I'll breakdown and get a personal pizza.  I may have a sandwich with bread or tortillas if I can't get anything else.  Traveling can be tough.  I avoid sugar at all costs, except for special occasions such as birthdays. Anything that's "low fat", I do not eat.  I eat dark meat chicken and all the skin and avoid white meat.  I eat a lot of vegetables.  I exercise four days a week now, three aerobics and one lifting weights.  I have boundless energy. 

Genetics is a factor in this.  I'm genetically set to be insulin resistant.  I know people who can eat fruit, ice cream, breads, pasta, etc., and they're thin.  If I eat that crap, not only do I feel terrible, but I gain weight instantly, and the weight does not come off easily. 

Intermittent fasting I think has been helpful for me, if only to realize that I can miss breakfast and really have no effects.  It also means that I know what hunger is and can easily go without for long periods of time if necessary.  I've been low carbing for a while now, though, and I think if I tried intermittent fasting when I first started low carbing, I wouldn't have had the insulin and blood sugar control to do intermittent fasting.