does this place still modify WTA arms--The LP Lab, 208

mgsboedmisodpc2

Got this address from a STereophile review of the WTA tonearm and was wondering if it still exists

The LP Lab,
208 Pepperwood Street,
Hercules, CA 94547.
Tel: (501) 799-3858, 11am–2pm PST.—Robert Harley

audio.bill

Re: does this place still modify WTA arms--The LP Lab, 208
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2014, 10:20 pm »
That review was from 1992, so I'm not sure if they're still around. The name of the contact given was Lary Pedersen and his contact hours were 11am–2pm PST. I would suggest trying a quick phone call to see.

/mp

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2014, 02:27 am »
22 years later the phone number my have changed even if the individual still does the work. Try google first.

Good luck,

Flyin_V

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2014, 03:09 am »
We no longer modify the WTA. Did you want a mod or need repair? Any competent tech could do a repair and the parts should be no problem to find. The later mods used Discovery tone arm wire (sounded better) in place of the VdH.

Let me know if you need anymore information.

Lary Pedersen

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2014, 03:41 am »
"Did you want a mod or need repair?"
Arm tube replacement instead of total arm replacement which is still a possibility considering the EBAY offerings

bdp24

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:53 pm »
I have a Well Tempered Arm with Lary's mod that I would consider selling. Lary's work was beautiful, with Tiffany RCA's and very high-quality wire. I can check my receipt to get the date the work was done, to see which wire Lary was using at the time he modded my arm. Anyone interested in it can contact me for pics, etc---EJ (ericjerde@gmail.com).

Flyin_V

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2014, 03:54 am »
bdp24,

If the wire has a clear coating and terminates at the RCA block attached to the table, it's VdH. If the wire has the standard red/green/white/blue coating and includes an extra meter or so that would plug directly into your pre amp, it's Discovery.

Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers.

bdp24

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2014, 05:35 am »
Mine has about a foot of very fine wires coming out of the arm, all with clear coat. Those wires go into another foot or so of flat braided wire, also clear coated. The braided wire is terminated with beautiful Tiffany RCA plugs. If this is, as I suspect, VdH wire, I must have requested the RCA plug terminations in place of RCA jacks on a block (for interconnects). I may even have sent you the Tiffany plugs with which to do so! I have always thought those jacks were a bad idea---making a break and reconnection in such a small-voltage signal-path location, with the consequential signal-degradation from the resistance and boundary crossing the tiny phono cartridge signal encounters. When I had Brooks Berdan rewire my Rega 300 with CARDAS wire, cartridge clips, and RCA plugs, I had him give me a little extra length so the arm could go straight into my pre-amp jacks. I really don't understand why terminal blocks are standard on so many high-performance arms and tables, VPI for one. Except that it allows one to run long shielded interconnects to a not-so-close pre-amp. Which is one good reason for having an RIAA phono amp directly beside or under your arm and table, with cables from it to your line stage pre-amp..