Favorite Floor Standing Speaker Footing

ebag4

Favorite Floor Standing Speaker Footing
« on: 14 Feb 2016, 09:09 pm »
I am building a pair of wedge shaped "U" frame servo bass units each with a pair of GR Research 12" servo bass drivers.  A pair of GR Rearch "Wedgies" will sit on top of the bass units, I have purchased two sets of Herbie's fat dots to sit under the Wedgies.  I am interested to read what your experiences have been with different footers for a heavy (~100 lb.) dipolar speaker.

My room has a suspended wooden floor and is carpeted.  These bass units have drivers facing opposite each other. I have used spikes but am considering roller blocks and Big Fat Dots.

TIA for your insights.

Best,
Ed

KLH007

Re: Favorite Floor Standing Speaker Footing
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2016, 09:58 pm »
Continue on with Herbie's, try the sliders for both isolation and ease of positioning.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2016, 12:00 am »
Continue on with Herbie's, try the sliders for both isolation and ease of positioning.

Agreed. That's what I use for my dual OB servo subs and that's what Herbie recommended for them. I didn't want spikes because that makes those subs more difficult to move around.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2016, 12:49 am »
I have super vs on carpet on top of concrete. I have this same question. Right now they are on brass bolts with round heads. Seems like they should be anchored to the floor with spikes, but like earlyb I want to be able to move them around?

KLH007

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2016, 01:04 am »
I have super vs on carpet on top of concrete. I have this same question. Right now they are on brass bolts with round heads. Seems like they should be anchored to the floor with spikes, but like earlyb I want to be able to move them around?

By anchoring them to concrete via spikes, vibrations reflect right back into the speaker. Isolation by Herbie's sliders prevents the reflections and makes them easy to position.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2016, 02:56 am »
I will watch this with interest.

Recently went from raised hard wood with carpet to a hard wood directly on slab. Sound is vastly different. Room is completely different too, so I don't know how much of which to attribute to what. I will say the bass is tighter and faster. Also not quite as warm in the mid, so, it's a trade off. Still learning and working on it.

(Super V's)

nicoch

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2016, 02:49 pm »
me too