HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

HAL

Hi Kemper,
Good to hear that Greg is building your GTA 2.5's.  Bubinga should look really good on the planars.  Will keep you posted on the speaker development.

The first pair of balanced input ChipAmps is making music with a pair of Lineaum LX-4 speakers.  They are a more challenging impedance load than the BG planars and are stable.  Next to build the second pair of amps and put some hours on them all to check stability before connecting them to the BG drivers.

HAL

The first pair of ChipAmp's with balanced DC coupled inputs are running.   

Working on the second pair as parts arrive next week.

KLH007

Rich, I see your friends at Danville Signal are working with some Aussies supplying DSP/active xover for their "One Audio" complete system.

HAL

They work with a lot of companies for DSP crossovers but mostly internal units.

The dspMusik is one of the few units they do as a full product and it took me a long time to convince them to do it that way.   :D

HAL

The HX800XLR3 servo amps are up and running with the 2x12's. 

HAL

Moded ChipAmps for trials.  Will be driving the planars directly in the tri-amp dspMusik configuration.

Both the LM1875 and LM3875 versions with balanced input mod.

Needs the speaker protection circuit that is arriving next week for transient protection at start-up and shut-down.

HAL

Second pair of ChipAmps is completed.

Next step is testing DC offset and for any problems.

HAL

Both pairs of ChipAmps completed and working. 

Time for some listening.

HAL

Latest setup with the dspMusik and OB planar-servo sub arrays.  New ChipAmps driving the BG NEO3PDR and NEO10 planars.

The two 4x12 H-Frame servo sub arrays are fully integrated with time delay for the mains for matching. 

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Both pairs of ChipAmps completed and working. 

Time for some listening.

Finally  a good use for old pizza boxes  :thumb:

HAL

Hmmm...  Musical Pizza Boxes! 

LOL!

stu

Hi Rich! I just want to pass on some info that might be of interest for anyone else with an MS-1. I decided to upgrade my MS-1 from windows 7 to windows 10, and see what happens. well, it took a few hours to download and install, but when it was all done, everything worked perfectly! All apps and files were there, and all worked fine. Even Fidelizer worked as advertised. I have 10 on two other computers, so I am use to using it. I think the sound quality is at least as good as before, and maybe a tad better, but I need to listen some more to know for sure. Anyway, the upgrade worked and I am glad I made the change.

Take cae,  hope all is well,
Mark

HAL

Mark,
Glad to hear the Win10 upgrade on the MS-1 went well.  I really do like the sound quality of Windows 10 over Windows 7 on the MS-2 and MS-3.

All good here, hope you are doing well!

Best,
Rich

HAL

Visited woodsyi today to return his CAPS2 Music Server setup with Windows 10 installed.  Have Foobar2000 running his DAC2X for DSD playback and sounded very good with his setup.   The Foobar2000 setup is playing *.dff and ISO DSD files. 

The dspMusik is running all the low frequency drivers and it integrates well.

He is doing some interesting music player comparisons and will be interested in his results.

HAL

First test of the paralleled, DC coupled, balanced input ChipAmp modules for driving planars worked well without any change in DC offset. 

Have 12 ChipAmp modules built and tested.  Still 4 more to go to have 16 for 8 per side.  I really like the way they sound with the NEO3/NEO10 combo.

One MS-3 coming back for checkout and a possible update to Windows 10. 

HAL

For all MS-1, MS-2 and MS-3 owners!  Do not install any other antivirus or malware software on the machines.  They already have MS Defender and MS Malware Removal Tool software running depending on Windows OS version installed.

If you install McAfee, Norton AV or any other software of that type onto the machines and it starts acting strangely, it is that software and should be removed.  If it kills the machine, I will charge for tech support and shipping.  Past versions of McAfee have even made it change audio buffers in playback and created glitch playback.

Will be rebuilding an MS-3 shortly with Norton installed. 

ACHiPo

+1 (don't ask me how I know) :roll:

Phil A

+1 (don't ask me how I know) :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: - My MS-2 had AVG installed when I got it.  Before I upgraded the units (MS-2 and MS-3) to Windows 10, I uninstalled AVG on it.  Other than to download a DAC driver, an update to Room EQ Wizard (which I have to figure out how to start to use one of these days - been using my RTA) or a JRiver license attached to an email, I don't really go on any other sites.  I figured it would be one less program to deal with Windows 10 issues or re-installation.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King

If you install McAfee, Norton AV or any other software of that type onto the machines and it starts acting strangely, it is that software and should be removed.  If it kills the machine, I will charge for tech support and shipping.  Past versions of McAfee have even made it change audio buffers in playback and created glitch playback.

Will be rebuilding an MS-3 shortly with Norton installed.   

:o That's good to know.  I have simply stayed away from the broader internet with my early MS-1, just to avoid the crap that is waiting to attach itself. 

HAL

Since ACHiPo bought his used, I want him to hear it as a fresh install.  Tech support is just shipping this time.  :D

Windows 8.1 OS is installed and now loading the software and updates.