Hestia Original Recipe Question

caminator

Hestia Original Recipe Question
« on: 8 Dec 2017, 03:07 pm »
Here's a question for Ed on this open baffle project: I've come across this just recently, and have mostly sorted through the topic and the later Hestia designs. The cost and simplicity of the original is very appealing. In retrospect, would you recommend building it just as designed (all drivers are available and well-priced), or would you make significant changes? Maybe just add a smaller, true midrange?

Thanks for any info,
Cam

matevana

Re: Hestia Original Recipe Question
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2017, 04:09 pm »
Hey Cam,

If this is your first venture into open baffle design, I would recommend building the Hestia as-is. The drivers will integrate reasonably well, and you will likely enjoy the outcome. Integrating a mid range driver can  add a fair amount of complexity and cost, especially with passive components. I have burned through a bit of cash trying to address phase anomalies, just by going from a 2-way to a 3-way design. Of course if you enjoy the experimentation (learning) part of hobby, then go for it!

Just my 2 cents, and good luck with your build. Let me know if I can help.

Ed   

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2017, 04:43 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  I'm with Ed; stick with a known design to see how you like it then go ahead and experiment later.  Have fun!!!!!

caminator

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2017, 06:13 pm »
Thanks for the welcome!

I did a lot of experimentation with open baffle, various ported, closed, quarter-wave, hybrid combos, all of it several years ago. My last crazy speaker used a Visaton supertweeter, FE208, Goodmans 201 12" fullrange, and 12" MCM high-Qts woofer, all in a tall open-back cabinet. Still have the drivers but trashed the cabs in a downsizing move. I miss it and the driveability with 8 to 20 watt tube amps, but it was too big anyway. Integration with passive components was actually not bad! I still have those drivers and more, along with a selection of caps and coils and wirewound resistors.

With the Hestia it would be very easy to get back to that open baffle, large driver sound in a smallish package. I'm a little skeptical of the MCM mid, considering its price and size, but then the Dynaco A25 certainly proves the 10" 2-way concept. I also like Ed's very well thought-out development process, and his careful sharing of it here on AC. If I build it the only change I might make is to extend and round off the top of the baffle for an elegant appearance

My current speakers are little Elac B5s. They're quite decent at the price, and along with a transformer volume control, sound good at very low volume. But I feel an open baffle may be the better late-night listening ticket.

As an afterthought, I could try a floor-level baffle and the MCM woofer with a plate amp, then the Goodmans FR and that Vifa D19TD. Only issue is the increased overall size.

Cam

caminator

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2017, 04:34 pm »
I could easily spend a bit more than the MCM midranger for the Hestia. What might be significantly better at less than, say $100? Maybe a hemp cone like the Lil' Buddy?

Cam

matevana

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2017, 11:12 pm »
It would require some clever crossover work, but this driver with its alnico magnet and high Qts would probably make a very warm but sweet mid:
https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-legend-1028k-10-guitar-speaker-35w-8-ohm--290-473

It's voiced for guitar so it would need some smoothing, and has a fairly early breakup, but it's also efficient so it won't need much power as a dedicated midrange. Alnico magnet drivers can be very expensive, but this one has always been priced well and has intrigued me. I'd like to see someone attempt a design.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2017, 01:12 am »
On OB projects I always stick w/simple 2 ways design.
An 15'' woofer as Alpha15A or PAP 15Neo and an FR driver as B200, Alpair or Nirvana.

Audio must be simple and a OB panel have all conditions to it.

caminator

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2017, 08:05 pm »
Ed - I'm probably not the one to attempt to plug an alnico Legend into the MCM driver position in this design. My design chops are rusty and my equipment is lacking, in particular access to an active crossover. Was hoping for a more direct replacement, an 8 or 10" mid. Guess I expected a few other options to the too-good-to-be-true MCM 10". Of course, no problem really to just build it, listen to it, and go from there, as was already suggested. 2 of those are only $57.

FullRangeMan - I basically agree, although a carefully executed and documented 3-way like the Hestia would be fine. Not building one from scratch. And simplicity is a good reason I've considered a Manzanita build, with sticking points for me being very low sensitivity and stand mounting. The floor-standing Ultra is just way too big a footprint.

As to an Alpha 15A and fullranger, it's very tempting - and there are SO many drivers to choose from nowadays compared to my years of fooling around back in 1997-2004. An H-frame base, a small baffle set on top, and away you go. I have Fostex FE208 Sigmas with  whizzerectomy that's already been a midrange in a few experiments, still requiring a quick health check. 2 pairs of vintage 12s didn't survive 10 years of unfriendly storage conditions in Northern Colorado.

Cam

matevana

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2017, 12:55 am »
My short term goal is to get out to Colorado. Never been, but it’s calling.

bear-hifi

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2017, 05:43 pm »
This is my 2nd build.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2017, 07:07 pm »
This is my 2nd build.

Great looks, what are the 10'' midrange?

Caminator: please keep us posted.

bear-hifi

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2018, 10:23 pm »
Its the Hestia speaker using the 10" MCM mid.

15" MCM woofers with Peerless tweeters and L-pad. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2018, 10:35 pm »
Hm nice, thanks for inform.