FS: Von Schweikert Audio VR-5 HSE *Speakers*Reduced $2,999.00

Audiophile

Hi All,

Reduced to $2,999.00 and will now ship CONUS at buyers expense.

Thank you!

Lower price!!!

Price reduced to $2,999.00 and will now ship CONUS at buyers expense.

Up for sale are my Von Schweikert Audio VR-5 HSE (Hovland Special Edition) speakers. They were purchased in 2001 and I am the original owner. The retail price at the time was $12,000.00.

Speakers were always well cared for in a smoke free and humidity controlled room. I would conservatively rate them 8 out of 10 due to their age. The cabinets are in excellent condition with no scratches, dents or scuffs. A small part of the grill cloth is partially separated from the frame.(See pic)

I don’t have original shipping boxes so looking for local pickup or will drive 2 hours to deliver or meet in New York City Area.

Looking for quick sale 2,999.00

VR-5 Specifications

System Type: Dynamic-driver four way system using transmission line loading.
Size: 42" high, 9" wide, and 16" deep. Wall construction uses heavily braced 1.5" MDF.
Internal damping consists of 1" rubber and felt layers on all walls, with veneered exterior.
Weight: 90 lbs.
Driver Complement: 2-180mm aluminum woofers, 1-5" aerogel cone midrange driver, 2- 1" Sonotex fabric dome tweeters, one rear firing.
Crossover: Acoustic first and fourth order, at 200Hz and 3kHz.
Ambience Driver: 1" fabric Sonotex dome with Dimensional volume control to compensate for room acoustics and soundstage depth.
Frequency Response: 28-20kHz, +/- 1.5 dB, 20Hz-25kHz –6dB.
Impedance: 6 ohms avg. (4 ohms 20Hz-200Hz; 8 ohms 200Hz-20kHz).
Recommended Power: 10 watts up to 300 watts (peak power for 50ms).
Sensitivity: 91dB @ 1w/1m using 2.83v.

Thanks

Modify message
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2017, 05:11 pm by Audiophile »

Audiophile

Updated with Specs.

jonbee

Just my 2 cents - I've had my HR5 HSE for about a year and I couldn't be happier. These and the Daedalus V2 models are my fave all time "real world" speakers. They could be the end of the road for me, after my 49 years of trading and 250 pairs of contenders. An excellent buy at this price. They have a sonic character, as all speakers do (call them "cool and clear"), but they have no noticeable flaws to my ears, have amazingly deep bass for the woofer size, and provide a deep, wide and clearly delineated 3d soundstage. This speaker is not known well enough, IMO. Very refined, a tribute to Albert, IMO.

Audiophile

Just my 2 cents - I've had my HR5 HSE for about a year and I couldn't be happier. These and the Daedalus V2 models are my fave all time "real world" speakers. They could be the end of the road for me, after my 49 years of trading and 250 pairs of contenders. An excellent buy at this price. They have a sonic character, as all speakers do (call them "cool and clear"), but they have no noticeable flaws to my ears, have amazingly deep bass for the woofer size, and provide a deep, wide and clearly delineated 3d soundstage. This speaker is not known well enough, IMO. Very refined, a tribute to Albert, IMO.

Thanks Jonbee!

I've had these speakers for a little over 15 years and have had many enjoyable hours of listening.  I was on the fence a long time about selling them. (Still am) but I have that upgrade bug.

If you don't mind me asking what other speakers have you listened to before selecting the V-5 HSE?

My short list of speakers I'm considering to upgrade to are below.

Focal Sopra 2
Dynaudio Contour 60
B&W 803 D3 (this one is a stretch)

Stercom

Ditto all of that! :thumb:

stewie

Couldn't agree more. I've had mine for two years now, and couldn't be happier. They do everything well.

jonbee

Thanks Jonbee!

I've had these speakers for a little over 15 years and have had many enjoyable hours of listening.  I was on the fence a long time about selling them. (Still am) but I have that upgrade bug.

If you don't mind me asking what other speakers have you listened to before selecting the V-5 HSE?

My short list of speakers I'm considering to upgrade to are below.

Focal Sopra 2
Dynaudio Contour 60
B&W 803 D3 (this one is a stretch)
Of course our tastes are different, but I'm not aware of any speaker today that is under the $12k price of these that would significantly improve on them, and many wouldn't match up. I've had a couple dozen floorstanders over $6k and at least a half dozen over $10k, and have heard many more. The Daedalus Athena.v2 at abut $12k is the cheapest I can think of that matches or improves on them. I'd keep the VR5 until after you audition potential replacements in your room; if you sell them mistakenly it will be hard to find another pair.

Audiophile

Of course our tastes are different, but I'm not aware of any speaker today that is under the $12k price of these that would significantly improve on them, and many wouldn't match up. I've had a couple dozen floorstanders over $6k and at least a half dozen over $10k, and have heard many more. The Daedalus Athena.v2 at abut $12k is the cheapest I can think of that matches or improves on them. I'd keep the VR5 until after you audition potential replacements in your room; if you sell them mistakenly it will be hard to find another pair.

Thanks so much Jonbee,

That is my biggest fear. Sellers remorse. Since getting my McIntosh MC452 amp the VR-5 HSE really opened up. I've never in the 15 years that I've owned them heard them sound the way they do.

I just think after 15 years that there would be some improvements in speakers and want to take advantage of that.
I think it would be difficult to get a dealer to allow me to audition speakers in my home but will give it a try!

Thanks again!

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
..I run my VR5 Anniversaries with MC601s and its as synergistic as it gets.  I've had knowledgeable guys who've heard it all sit in the Captain Kirk chair and they go away mightily impressed.  VSA + MAC = sonic bliss...IMHO

Audiophile

..I run my VR5 Anniversaries with MC601s and its as synergistic as it gets.  I've had knowledgeable guys who've heard it all sit in the Captain Kirk chair and they go away mightily impressed.  VSA + MAC = sonic bliss...IMHO

I would have to agree! Maybe I should just keep my VR-5 HSE and focus upgrading elsewhere.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
I would have to agree! Maybe I should just keep my VR-5 HSE and focus upgrading elsewhere.
Hello Audiophile,

Don't let their age bother you.  The technology and quality components that went into that design is by no means outdated.  And VSA used very high quality crossover components in that model.  If you do have the upgrade bug eating at you I do happen to have the last pair of VR-5 Anniversary MkII's left.  But the speakers you have now were pretty advance for the time they were released and still are.

Let me know if I can help in any way:)

Leif

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Hello Audiophile,

Don't let their age bother you.  The technology and quality components that went into that design is by no means outdated.  And VSA used very high quality crossover components in that model.  If you do have the upgrade bug eating at you I do happen to have the last pair of VR-5 Anniversary MkII's left.  But the speakers you have now were pretty advance for the time they were released and still are.

Leif

..hey Leif, out of curiosity is that a new pr or trade ins?

Audiophile

Hello Audiophile,

Leif

Thanks Leif,

Are they new or used? What would the price be? You can PM me if you like.

Thanks,
Paul

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
If you want to spend 10k to "upgrade" here you go:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-von-schweikert-vr-5-anniversary-mk2-mod-speakers-beautiful-african-hazelwood-price-r-2017-03-16-speakers-60060-mundelein-il

If I recall correctly, just last week this seller had been asking $12,500 for these. [Yes. I spend too much time roaming the internet searching for used speaker deals.]

Audiophile

If you want to spend 10k to "upgrade" here you go:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-von-schweikert-vr-5-anniversary-mk2-mod-speakers-beautiful-african-hazelwood-price-r-2017-03-16-speakers-60060-mundelein-il

Thanks still have to sell my VR-5 HSE first. I also want to wait for a response from Leif to see what he has to offer. 8) I bought my VR-5 HSE directly from Albert so I would still like to keep it in the VSA family.  :D

Not sure if it matters but the listing in Audiogon was originally a VR-4 and upgraded to the VR-5. Not sure if there is a slight difference from the Mod and the straight VR-5.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Thanks still have to sell my VR-5 HSE first. I also want to wait for a response from Leif to see what he has to offer. 8) I bought my VR-5 HSE directly from Albert so I would still like to keep it in the VSA family.  :D

Not sure if it matters but the listing in Audiogon was originally a VR-4 and upgraded to the VR-5. Not sure if there is a slight difference from the Mod and the straight VR-5.
Hi Audiophile,

The pair of VR-5 's I have are brand new and in high gloss black.  I can't touch that price though.  $10k for a pair of VR-5 MkII's is a killer deal.

The VR-4 and VR-5 cabinets are identical in every way.  Only difference was the datalink connection plate on the VR-4's and I believe some of the VR-5 MkI's.  The VR-4 to VR-5 MOD means that the speaker was updated with the exact same drivers and crossovers as well as all the other goodies as the production model VR-5 Anni MkII.

danabunner

The VR-4 to VR-5 MOD means that the speaker was updated with the exact same drivers and crossovers as well as all the other goodies as the production model VR-5 Anni MkII.

I have the original VR-4 with the VR-5 Mod upgrade.  Albert told me that he himself did the final evaluation and tweaking before shipping it back.   I believe that upgrade was done in 2001.   It sounds fantastic to this day.  Listening to it right now.  I have A/B'ed it vs several highly regarded speakers, from Wilson, Sonus Faber, Magneplanar, B&W, and more, and in every case, I came back to my VSR as the overall better speaker. 

I suspect I'll keep it to the day when I can't hear all that well and no longer have the room for it.   The apartment I'm in now is on the small side for them, but I just can't give them up.

Audiophile

I have the original VR-4 with the VR-5 Mod upgrade.  Albert told me that he himself did the final evaluation and tweaking before shipping it back.   I believe that upgrade was done in 2001.   It sounds fantastic to this day.  Listening to it right now.  I have A/B'ed it vs several highly regarded speakers, from Wilson, Sonus Faber, Magneplanar, B&W, and more, and in every case, I came back to my VSR as the overall better speaker. 

I suspect I'll keep it to the day when I can't hear all that well and no longer have the room for it.   The apartment I'm in now is on the small side for them, but I just can't give them up.

Thanks Danabunner! It's encouraging to know that the VR-5 betters the above mentioned speakers.  :thumb:

Wig