Best alternative to HDTracks?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Best alternative to HDTracks?
« on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:06 am »
I've been having a devil of a time with their downloader, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc.  Any suggestions for another service?

kenreau

Re: Best alternative to HDTracks?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:39 am »
TIDAL.... :wink:

rlee8394

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2017, 12:50 am »
Yes, TIDAL.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:16 am »
Count me in on Tidal. It could be better for discovery but the SQ is first rate.

It's a fundamentally different concept from HDTracks, where you own the content as opposed to only having access as long as you remain a subscriber. (You can download from Tidal for offline listening, but if you cancel, you lose access.) If ownership isn't the object, go Tidal. All the streaming services are the biggest hose job ever inflicted on performers and songwriters, but that's another conversation, and this seems to be the music industry's business model going forward.

rlee8394

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:26 am »
I use TIDAL through Roon. Roon integrates TIDAL and the interface is much better that TIDAL's. The pair makes a nice solution to preview albums prior to purchase.

-Ron

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2017, 03:38 am »
I have Tidal, but I "need' to have a system in which I'm owning hi-res albums downloaded on the NAS so that if the internet craps out I can still listen to music.  I have all my redbook stuff from my CD collection days, but is there another download site for hi-res stuff that once I download it I own a "hard" copy?

Thx
Matthew

WC

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2017, 03:47 am »
7digital and Boomkat have hirez files available for download. You can get CD quality download tracks from Bandcamp, not much hirez.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2017, 04:22 am »
I use TIDAL through Roon. Roon integrates TIDAL and the interface is much better that TIDAL's. The pair makes a nice solution to preview albums prior to purchase.

-Ron

You're using a dedicated music server or a computer?

Nick77

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2017, 09:16 am »
Acoustic Sounds has a nice Hirez library and no issues ever for me. Plus usually have a 20% off download banner a lot.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/365/Digital_Download

Mr Peabody

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:03 pm »
They probably just have their label but 2L has high quality downloads.  I believe Reference does as well.  You might even check Naim or Linn music.

Grant Hill

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:41 pm »
Acoustic sounds (APO records are often amazing), or Highresaudio

Grant Hill

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:45 pm »
E-Onkyo, if you like classical music prestoclassical.uk

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2017, 02:39 pm »
You're using a dedicated music server or a computer?

A dedicated music server, a Synology NAS and a Bryston BDP3.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2017, 03:04 pm »
Acoustic Sounds has a nice Hirez library and no issues ever for me. Plus usually have a 20% off download banner a lot.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/365/Digital_Download

I believe their downloader is re-badged JRiver (like HDTracks).  I used it the other day (with a 20% off coupon).  I've personally never had a problem with JRiver/HDTracks on two PCs.  Works really smoothly.  I use the PCs to download and then the files go off to my NAS with either a Lumin U1 music server in the main systems or a couple of Windows 10 music servers in secondary systems.  No problem on anything.