NX Ottica/Treme Variant?

ebag4

NX Ottica/Treme Variant?
« on: 1 Oct 2016, 08:35 pm »
Danny,
Do you think the speaker below could utilize the higher sensitivity NEO3PDR and get to the 95/96dB sensitivity range? The servos would play up to the upper cutoff of the M165s.

Best,
Ed

Oscillate

Re: NX Ottica/Treme Variant?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2016, 01:57 pm »
Amateur thoughts... I believe it would work better in a symmetrical layout.
Something like this except all OB;

http://gr-research.com/ob-7plus.aspx

This would raise the tweeters closer to ear height. Your positioning of the
OB woofers would remain the same though.

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2016, 03:16 pm »
Amateur thoughts... I believe it would work better in a symmetrical layout.
Something like this except all OB;

http://gr-research.com/ob-7plus.aspx

This would raise the tweeters closer to ear height. Your positioning of the
OB woofers would remain the same though.
Thanks O, Danny actually has that design all in OB with the current NX Treme.  The idea here would be to save the two separate foot prints.  Although, if you are building that design, space would not "normally" be a concern, at least for a sane person.  I've never really been considered sane (at least in my own mind) when it comes to audio  :lol:.

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2016, 03:46 pm »
Ed
I figured you  were after some floor space savings with this. 
Tweeter height would remain  simailar (6" to center of  lower NQ then it's 6" to the center of the Neo3 in the guide)
Youi'd be using the same drivers as the NX-Otticas  which can use either the standard Neo3PDR (unpadded) or the  higher efficiency Serenity version which has to be padded down slightly with a low value resistor to  match the  sensitivity of the  woofers . You'd  stay  at the same efficiency as the Ottias, say  93 .5 db

As Oscillate mentioned, I'm not  sure  what it would be like having the  4 M165's up top without any onthe bottom like the  NX-Tremes... i know Danny  was saying that adding the 4  above really  brought things "up" and evened out  upper bass, they play up to around 200hz so they are directioal, with all of them up high, it may be an issue.

Have you built out the MTM's and tried them  , I'd think you'll get  very similar results... youi'd have the same thing as above  minus the  4  M165's but that will be covered by the  subs.  We're going to build a pair out  here  soon

jay

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2016, 03:59 pm »
Ed
I figured you  were after some floor space savings with this. 
Tweeter height would remain  simailar (6" to center of  lower NQ then it's 6" to the center of the Neo3 in the guide)
Youi'd be using the same drivers as the NX-Otticas  which can use either the standard Neo3PDR (unpadded) or the  higher efficiency Serenity version which has to be padded down slightly with a low value resistor to  match the  sensitivity of the  woofers . You'd  stay  at the same efficiency as the Ottias, say  93 .5 db

Have you built out the MTM's and tried them  , I'd think you'll get  very similar results... youi'd have the same thing as above  minus the  4  M165's but that will be covered by the  subs.  We're going to build a pair out  here  soon

jay
Thanks for the feedback Jay.  My thought regarding the sensitivity was the servos covering up to the same upper cutoff as the M165s would allow me to get to the sensitivity of the more sensitive NEO (96dB) since the servo output is adjustable, of course the servo would handle down to 20Hz as well.  This is really overkill for my room and in reality I think I will build this using the MTM I recieved from you:

More sensible in my situation.

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2016, 04:01 pm »
Danny will need to chime in but my nontechnical thoughts agree with Jay.

I'm still trying to flatten out the Paduk I bought for the crossover boards for my MTM Otica.  The board had a bad twist that I thought I would be able to get out when I cut it to shorter pieces. That didn't work and the boards are too wide to go through the jointer/planner I have available to me.

I am trying to pull the twist out. If that doesn't work today I'm going to drop back and punt and get some other type of board.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2016, 04:06 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Jay.  My thought regarding the sensitivity was the servos covering up to the same upper cutoff as the M165s would allow me to get to the sensitivity of the more sensitive NEO (96dB) since the servo output is adjustable, of course the servo would handle down to 20Hz as well.  This is really overkill for my room and in reality I think I will build this using the MTM I recieved from you:

More sensible in my situation.

Best,
Ed

Ed,

Are you planning on building the base wedge shaped also?

Since the wider MTM Otticas don't look so out of place on a 16" wide rectangular top like the Wedgies do I'm considering putting a dual 12" H-Frame under the Otticas.

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2016, 04:15 pm »
Ed,

Are you planning on building the base wedge shaped also?

Since the wider MTM Otticas don't look so out of place on a 16" wide rectangular top like the Wedgies do I'm considering putting a dual 12" H-Frame under the Otticas.

Mike
Hi Mike,
I am going back to the H frame, I didn't care for the Wedge bass section in my system, I think I may have built mine too small, but I know the H frame works well in my space.  With the additional width of the NX Ottica MTM section I also feel it integrates with the 16" wide H frame in a more aesthetically pleasing manner.

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2016, 04:35 pm »

Best,
Ed

you woun't get the  pair of NQ's up to to 96 either Ed

jay

ebag4

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2016, 05:05 pm »
you woun't get the  pair of NQ's up to to 96 either Ed

jay
Good point Jay, I guess they are what limited the NX Treme to 95dB.  Running an SET I am always looking for as much efficiency from the speakers as I can get.  Even at 92dB from the MTM, I should be OK in my space.

Best,
Ed

nickd

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2016, 05:10 pm »
I think with a 3rd or 4th order active high pass filter at 200hz, you gain a bit of efficiency on the NQ's. Lowers the IM distortion too.

I have been using a digital high pass at 80hz for a few months on a pair of Altec 12" woofers. It really is amazing how it cleaned up the mids and upper bass. Don't think I can go back to passive roll off or a cap after hearing the difference.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2016, 02:28 pm »
Ed,

The sensitivity will be the same as the standard NX-Otica.

ebag4

« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2016, 11:22 pm »
Thanks Danny et al., slight confusion on my part. 

Do speakers using powered bass sections typically rate the sensitivity of the mid/tweet separately from the powered bass section or are they normally listed as a complete speaker?  I can see bass amps with variable gain making it difficult to get a meaningful measurement.

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2016, 11:38 pm »
Thanks Danny et al., slight confusion on my part. 

Do speakers using powered bass sections typically rate the sensitivity of the mid/tweet separately from the powered bass section or are they normally listed as a complete speaker?  I can see bass amps with variable gain making it difficult to get a meaningful measurement.

Best,
Ed

I'd think the opposite,   if the  bass section is active, it can be  set to match the efficiency of the   upper section.   So in the case of the MTM's,  you'd end up with a 92 db full range  speaker/system  :scratch:

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 4 Oct 2016, 12:20 am »
The powered servo subs play no roll in what the sensitivity is of the speaker. It is variable and can be anything relative to the rest of the speaker.

And the sensitivity of the MTM version is the same as the NX-Otica itself.