IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

PhishPhan

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #420 on: 12 Oct 2016, 08:59 pm »
That might be a good option for my bedroom.

But, what are your thoughts on the IDA-8 versus the STA-9/DAC-9 combo? My Druid MkV speakers are quite resolving.

John Casler

« Reply #421 on: 12 Oct 2016, 10:53 pm »
That might be a good option for my bedroom.

But, what are your thoughts on the IDA-8 versus the STA-9/DAC-9 combo? My Druid MkV speakers are quite resolving.

One of my customers had the larger ZU's (with the powered woofer section) and really liked the DAC-9 and ST-10   :thumb:

bhazen

« Reply #422 on: 21 Oct 2016, 11:09 pm »
How might the IDA-8 do with tricky LS3/5A-type speakers?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #423 on: 22 Oct 2016, 04:26 am »
How might the IDA-8 do with tricky LS3/5A-type speakers?

Bhazen,

What's the sensitivity of your LS3/5A speakers?

If they're in the 83 to 84dB sensitivity range, the IDA-8 isn't powerful enough unless it's a small bedroom. I've got a pair of Fritz Loudspeakers LS5/R 83.5dB speakers that sounded okay with my IDA-8, but really needed 150 watts/ch (or more) to truly sing.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2016, 04:24 pm by mresseguie »

bhazen

« Reply #424 on: 22 Oct 2016, 05:18 am »
83dB. Recommended amp power is 25-50 watts 'unclipped programme', though!

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #425 on: 26 Oct 2016, 04:12 pm »
So I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread so it might have been talked about but is anyone using the IDA-8 in a mutimedia system? I use my two channel set up for everything. I don't have the luxury or space to have a dedicated listening area. So if you have used it in a 2 channel home theater application how does it sound? I am currently running a pair of Omega Supercharged 3XRS's with a Decware SE84UFO. And I love the combination for most things but I do feel like it runs out of steam and starts clipping at higher volumes on higher demanding and dynamic material. 

Cliff B.

« Reply #426 on: 30 Oct 2016, 01:09 am »
83dB. Recommended amp power is 25-50 watts 'unclipped programme', though!
I'm using the IDA-8 driving some KEF LS50's which are 85 db sensitive. While the IDA-8 does drive them, and sounds good doing so, these speakers are really happier with more power. I'm currently using this setup in a camper. I offer this merely as one bit of data input. I've only had the IDA-8 a little over a week and I think it's the best audio bargain out there. But, I plan to find a better speaker match for the amp.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #427 on: 7 Nov 2016, 01:14 pm »
I just ordered one of the demo units from Audio Advisor.  I'll be driving Klipsch Chorus II's in a large room (16x32x12) and in that system started with a Pioneer VSX series AVR and currently have an NAD D 3020.  I'm looking forward to hearing what the IDA-8 can bring to the table.

I read through the thread and am I understanding correctly that at some point in production the output voltage at the line out changed to something less than 6v?  If so, is there any way to tell which one you have?  Serial number or some other marking somewhere on the unit? 

Also, I plan to use RCA cables out of my ATT uverse cable box into the analog inputs of the IDA-8 but read that some are having trouble with this.  Would taking a optical line out of the cable box and going into an outboard DAC and then using the analog outs from the DAC into the IDA-8 eliminate the signal gremlins that cause the issue others have had when using the analog output from a cable box to analog input of IDA-8?

rustydoglim

« Reply #428 on: 7 Nov 2016, 02:41 pm »
Only the very early batch has 2X and 3X gain on the line out of IDA-8. I am pretty sure your demo unit from Audio Advisor has the 2V gain. Email support@nuprimeaudio.com if you want to check on the serial number.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #429 on: 10 Nov 2016, 07:30 pm »
I just received my demo unit from Audio Advisor and on the outside of the box it's marked "Sub Out gain 1x"...so happy to see that.  However, is the Bluetooth dongle included with the unit?  The only included accessories I received are a power cable, two remotes, batteries for the large remote, and a semi-rigid USB cable that's about 8" in length. 

thanks,
Michael

John Casler

« Reply #430 on: 10 Nov 2016, 07:35 pm »
I just received my demo unit from Audio Advisor and on the outside of the box it's marked "Sub Out gain 1x"...so happy to see that.  However, is the Bluetooth dongle included with the unit?  The only included accessories I received are a power cable, two remotes, batteries for the large remote, and a semi-rigid USB cable that's about 8" in length. 

thanks,
Michael

What you are calling an 8" USB cable is likely part of the dongle.  There should also be a Receiver portion, that connects to that cable and then the cable plugs into the rear of the IDA-8.

Search your packaging.  If it is a used unit, it may not have been repackaged well.  If it is not there, contact your retailer.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #431 on: 10 Nov 2016, 07:59 pm »
^^^
Great...thanks for the reply, John.  Just got off the phone with AA and they said they'd send one right out. 

tomlinmgt

« Reply #432 on: 14 Nov 2016, 05:49 pm »
I got a chance to spend some time with my -8 this weekend and can say I'm very pleased with its performance. To say it's an improvement over the NAD D 3020 it replaced would be a gross understatement. However, I do have an issue and I don't think it's normal...when I power the unit up I get a pretty loud "crack/pop" in both channels. I'm assuming this isn't normal.  The speakers are 101 db sensitivity, but the NAD and Pioneer AVR that preceded the -8 didn't do this with the same speakers.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2016, 12:48 am by tomlinmgt »

John Casler

« Reply #433 on: 14 Nov 2016, 06:04 pm »
The "crack/pop" is normal and hardly noticeable on most speakers. in most systems, it might be akin to the crack/pop one might hear when playing an old record album at normal volume.

It is hard to tell if yours is "out of the norm", since your speakers are super efficient.  I doubt it is damaging in any way.

I just tried it on my system (with 89db speakers) and turned it on and off at FULL VOLUME, and it seemed to be the same at all volumes.

echim

« Reply #434 on: 14 Nov 2016, 06:12 pm »
I had an opportunity to listen IDA-8 paired with ATC SCM7 speakers. It sounded perfect. For small rooms, this is the perfect setup.
Since I have some bigger listening room I will probably go for ATC SCM11 speakers that really need something more powerful. Maybe IDA-16 or DAC-9 + STA-9. I am still thinking.

rustydoglim

« Reply #435 on: 14 Nov 2016, 10:34 pm »
The pop on the IDA-8 is a little loud on sensitive speaker (91db) but not more than playing drum music.
We can add a filter to get rid of the pop but you might not like the sound.  We had one person who did that and regretted it and we have to remove it for him (that's two round trips to the shop and it cost us $$$). So we rather that you live with the pop, it is not going to harm your speaker.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #436 on: 14 Nov 2016, 10:46 pm »
Got it and thanks for clarifying that for me. I believe I'll pass on the filters since what I'm hearing is normal. 

vkohl

• Restricted
« Reply #437 on: 26 Nov 2016, 09:38 am »
The IDA-8 is not a good choice for a high end turntable ? Have read no reviews on this setup yet !

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #438 on: 26 Nov 2016, 06:12 pm »
Where did you hear that? The IDA-8 is a fine amp and pre. If you have a good turntable/phonopre, just hook it up and you'll be fine.

restrav

« Reply #439 on: 29 Nov 2016, 09:37 pm »
Im listening to IDA 8 right now. sounds so much fuller, meatier, and less digital through its own USB compared with its analog input