BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

adol290

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #80 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:59 pm »
What do you mean by: the lack of consistent 12v trigger connectors ?

He means this

The BDA-2 is supplied with a Trigger input put to facilitate remote hard wired on/off control. A two pin socket mates with the CO110A-11102 bare-wire terminal block connector supplied with your BDA-2

The BDP-2 TRIGGER IN and OUT connectors (3.5mm 2-con­ductor phone jacks) allow for implementation of a hard wired remote power ON/OFF control

steve in jersey

« Reply #81 on: 19 Mar 2013, 04:09 pm »
Hi Steve,

I second your thought, and would like to add that another main reason for some hesitation on my part with the BOT in this separate-from-the-BDP-box design, is that the ripping process is prone to numerous errors in the tag-part. To me it seems that the industry-ad's and manufactors that promise this simple and successful ripping process live in a non existent world. Almost every single (classical) cd I rip has to be completely manually edited, because of the errors in the Internet Databases or the complete unavailability. And Im not even talking about the multi-disk spanning recordings. Or the language-issues these databases result in most of the time. (always in English while the bigger part of the library has another mother-tongue). Or Album Art!

Having a BOT won't resolve that I suspect, so I would end up having to edit these automated rips behind my Macbook after all. Reducing the advertised advantage of the BOT to being a memory reading transport, which the BDP already is with the rips that succeeded up to know... Only difference is we now have to wait for the cd to start playing, and up to 2-3 minutes for the last track?,  instead of the direct acces the old BCD gave us. (still gives in my case :thumb:)

Or am I missing something? (wouldn't want to judge ) Make it into a BAM-1, and I'd start saving up...

Cheers,
Marius

The short answer is , "Yes, you seem to have interpreted my "desirability" stance of the proposed functionality of the BOT-1 , about 180% opposite of what it is." I thought I was explaining why the BOT-1 was a better way of doing things

While I have been able to build a very enjoyable small library (700 CDs at last count) (90% or better "Accurate Rips") I have very little doubt that High End Audio Mfgs. (such as Bryston or Naim) would release a component that didn't easily exceed what "I" have been able to do. The Mech/Tech support alone is light years ahead of what most of us have access to.

Another thing that you may also "missing" is the reason some of us no longer listen to CDs go way beyond the "conveince" factor. It is extremely unlikely that the actual music files on the physical Compact Disc are completely unaltered during the pressing process. Error correction at playback impacts the "musicality" of the files tremendously as far as I'm concerned. If there is any functionality that I question it's the ability to "play" the "flawed physical media" given to the public from the recorded music industry when you can "easily" make the recordings sound more like music than recordings. I have no problem waiting to listen to "music" rather than listening to it's approximation now. I can work my schedule around the few minutes I waste.

Marius

« Reply #82 on: 19 Mar 2013, 04:41 pm »
lol and o dear. sorry for that.

but let me ask you this: if you mean the industry "can "easily" make the recordings sound more like music than recordings" you mean by playing the actual digital recordings, I am with you. Thats why I was talking about downloading hires files. If you mean the cd's, I don't follow any longer. The mishaps you describe while pressing cd's have taken place, and can not be corrected, can they? Maybe other processes in the system of transferring bits to music can make these files sound better than the cd's, but the errors remain? Thats why we make bit perfect/lossless copies?

But, my post was more about the software side of the ripping process, than the hardware and bit conversion bit of it all, thats why I 'added' to your statement, which I shouldn't have.

Marius

(and Im not 'missing' anything too much I think, kind of dislike that judgement really, taken into account Im exactly doing what you describe, namely putting a lot of effort and going far beyond the convenience factor....all for the sake of superior sound and music experience)

The short answer is , "Yes, you seem to have interpreted my "desirability" stance of the proposed functionality of the BOT-1 , about 180% opposite of what it is." I thought I was explaining why the BOT-1 was a better way of doing things

While I have been able to build a very enjoyable small library (700 CDs at last count) (90% or better "Accurate Rips") I have very little doubt that High End Audio Mfgs. (such as Bryston or Naim) would release a component that didn't easily exceed what "I" have been able to do. The Mech/Tech support alone is light years ahead of what most of us have access to.

Another thing that you may also "missing" is the reason some of us no longer listen to CDs go way beyond the "conveince" factor. It is extremely unlikely that the actual music files on the physical Compact Disc are completely unaltered during the pressing process. Error correction at playback impacts the "musicality" of the files tremendously as far as I'm concerned. If there is any functionality that I question it's the ability to "play" the "flawed physical media" given to the public from the recorded music industry when you can "easily" make the recordings sound more like music than recordings. I have no problem waiting to listen to "music" rather than listening to it's approximation now. I can work my schedule around the few minutes I waste.

steve in jersey

« Reply #83 on: 19 Mar 2013, 07:23 pm »
Marius,

Sorry if you thought my mention of ripping CDs for the convience factor was directed toward yourself, I'm a bit sensitive toward the widespread "opinion" that ripping methods are equal & I suppose I go out of my way to make it known that's not what I'm hearing. (First off to James sorry for the detour from the thread topic, I'll try to limit my interruption after this )

Maybe "Bit Perfect" copies of CDs isn't what we should be talking about but "Bit Corrected". I'm not quite sure how the alogoriths in certain ripping software works to correct what it sees as "indistinct"bits, but I'm pretty sure the result is no longer "Bit Perfect" (It was'nt actually "Bit Perfect" on the disc at this point). I don't know how accurate these bit corrections in the resultant rips are except to say the rips display much greater timing & pitch characteristics then the optical playback of the CD. As the Brits like to say there is much more "PRAT" now . ( Error correction at optical playback does'nt appear to be nearly as successful)

I fired up my SACD player the other day & played back one of my Channel Classic SACDs that I like quite a bit.I then played back the rip of the CD layer. I preferred the sound of the rip . I then played back the CD layer of same disc through the same DAC I'd played the rip through (Metrum Hex) I was'nt as impressed. When I first started to rip the CD layer of my SACDs I was worried about "leaving some musical info on the table" in terms of resolution . I'm not obsessing anymore (maybe if I had a player at the Meitner level I would, but if I had a Meitner , I'd buy every SACD that interested me & be done with everything)

Alpha10

« Reply #84 on: 19 Mar 2013, 08:43 pm »
James/Chris, I know it will add to the bottom line, but is there an opportunity to put in some sort of daughter board, to make the BOT more compatible with us poor old BDP1 owners? Would increase your potential market I would think.

Cheers

skunark

« Reply #85 on: 19 Mar 2013, 09:30 pm »
To much integration for me,separates I like.
I think Naim forgot the cassette deck in there with everything else.
Some like all in one which is fine,depends what you want I suppose as we all like different things.

There's a place for both.   

If you are ever at a naim dealer, go check out the app, it's rather impressive.   Probably one of the key reasons integration is important to me is that most house guests can't figure out how to turn on my separates to listen to music, radio etc.  So having an old iphone/ipod control a device like the naim in the den or guest bedroom would be ideal.

btw, I have recently purchased a cassette deck as a birthday present.    I'm suppose to be getting a Johnny Cash dubstep mix, if Naim had the cassette deck included, I would have a way to play it back..  :thumb:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #86 on: 20 Mar 2013, 02:58 am »
Like a few others participating in this thread I've also stopped listening to the actual CDs in favor of listening to the "ripped" files off of  my drives. I however would be very interested in having a "dedicated" audio grade component take over this ripping task from  non- "single task" dedicated, multiple function, multiple setting pieces of equipment.

I believe one of the reasons people are resisting making the switch to "discless" audio is they've had mixed results as far as the quality of playback they've experienced compared to the better traditional playback they've heard. If there are any "Truths" to Computer Audio, one is "Everything is significant".

Given the choice of having the guess work taken out of achieving near perfectionist results, on a consistent basis, or "I enjoy the challenge of making exceptional rips, every time". Guess which choice an "Audiophile"(not a Computer/Audio Enthusiast) would pick.

The somewhat amazing thing is the outstanding results that many of us non Tech/Engineer background types have accomplished. It's time for those in the Audio Industry to step up "Their Game". I'd much rather spend more time as an "Audiophile"

I for 1 think that the BOT-1 has a very exciting potential

This is the exact reason why the BOT was brought in existence, but also because we can we will make it do more.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #87 on: 20 Mar 2013, 03:22 am »
Hi Steve,

I second your thought, and would like to add that another main reason for some hesitation on my part with the BOT in this separate-from-the-BDP-box design, is that the ripping process is prone to numerous errors in the tag-part. To me it seems that the industry-ad's and manufactors that promise this simple and successful ripping process live in a non existent world. Almost every single (classical) cd I rip has to be completely manually edited, because of the errors in the Internet Databases or the complete unavailability. And Im not even talking about the multi-disk spanning recordings. Or the language-issues these databases result in most of the time. (always in English while the bigger part of the library has another mother-tongue). Or Album Art!

Having a BOT won't resolve that I suspect, so I would end up having to edit these automated rips behind my Macbook after all. Reducing the advertised advantage of the BOT to being a memory reading transport, which the BDP already is with the rips that succeeded up to know... Only difference is we now have to wait for the cd to start playing, and up to 2-3 minutes for the last track?,  instead of the direct acces the old BCD gave us. (still gives in my case :thumb:)

Or am I missing something? (wouldn't want to judge ) Make it into a BAM-1, and I'd start saving up...

Cheers,
Marius

Sorry abou that Marius, I was having a stressful weekend and you really didn't deserve it.  BAM-1?  Other the. Playing and ripping cd's we still arn't entirely sure what else the bot will do.  I will mention what I am playing with:

-abcde open source cd ripper wih integrated cd-db.org or tag data
-I still havn't settled on a piece of software for ripping audio out of DVD's but I'm leaning towards vobcopy and cli version of handbreak to encode a copy of surround sound audio into two channel.  This would allow customers to store both stereo and multichannel audio from Dvd's.  with the BDP-2's upnp server feature it could host the video for upnp enabled devices.
-for blurays I'm looking at makemkv, however it's been nearly a year since I hav used this program and I'm still not entirely sure about its license agreement.
-I have also started integrating plex server into early builds of manic moose (version S2.XX) of the firmware that will be released for both the BDP's later this year.  I don't think plex will run on a BDP-1 so I am also looking for a light upnp server it could handle.  For the BDP-1 I'm leaning towards the same thing that he wd live drives use, can't remember it's name but it was open source and I wrote it down some where in my cubicle.
-Also we are looking into using the BDP as a platform for controlling your devices.  This is somethin that has been worked on periodically over the last year.  In fact if you connect a BDP-1 or 2 (top port) to a B100/B135 via a male to female serial cable (straight), then turn your BDP on and enter the following address (http://bryston-bdp-1.local/dashcode/br2) it will take you to a page that looks like a br2 remote and you can control the BDP and b100/b135 from it.

Well my hour on the tread mill is up

Cheers,
Chris

RonCH

« Reply #88 on: 20 Mar 2013, 09:17 am »
-Also we are looking into using the BDP as a platform for controlling your devices.  This is somethin that has been worked on periodically over the last year.  In fact if you connect a BDP-1 or 2 (top port) to a B100/B135 via a male to female serial cable (straight), then turn your BDP on and enter the following address (http://bryston-bdp-1.local/dashcode/br2) it will take you to a page that looks like a br2 remote and you can control the BDP and b100/b135 from it.

I really happy to read that you're doing this.  I don't like that you need to have the br2 remote to configure amps.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #89 on: 20 Mar 2013, 01:44 pm »

I really happy to read that you're doing this.  I don't like that you need to have the br2 remote to configure amps.

Your not alone Ron

ttsto

« Reply #90 on: 20 Mar 2013, 01:51 pm »

Hi Chris

Will it possible to turn on BDP-1 from network (wake-on-lan)? Otherwise you still need remote to turn the player on...In the same manner, it should be possible to issue shut down command

Considering ergonomics, I believe will be very customer friendly to develop iOS/Android app that will take care of this + control of the mpd

Cheers

Titi

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #91 on: 20 Mar 2013, 02:04 pm »

The BOT-1 in my home setup

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #92 on: 20 Mar 2013, 02:21 pm »
Hi Chris

Will it possible to turn on BDP-1 from network (wake-on-lan)? Otherwise you still need remote to turn the player on...In the same manner, it should be possible to issue shut down command

Considering ergonomics, I believe will be very customer friendly to develop iOS/Android app that will take care of this + control of the mpd

Cheers

Titi

If we go here and its likely we will, the BDP should be treated more like a home automation system (ie crestrol pro2) that is always left on.  In the end we want the customer to be able to control anything that can be controlled via IR, RS232 or TCP/IP, not just bryston equipment but also third party items.  I mean its not like Bryston makes a TV.......... yet  :wink:

We really have no plan on building a TV at all, but it would be nice to control one from the same smart phone that you are controlling the rest of your gear without exiting applications.

As someone who'a briefly had some hands on with programming a Crestron system we fully intend on making our system massively easier to setup.

Cheers,
Chris

steve in jersey

« Reply #93 on: 20 Mar 2013, 03:57 pm »
Chris,

Glad to hear that the BOT-1 won't be locked into the BDP for control purposes, as my DFP is a "third party player", an Auraliti. I'm using MPad to control the Auraliti as the player has no physical control buttons other than the singular "On / Off" button on the front of the unit.

I am nonetheless appreciative that Bryston is being gracious enough to bring a component to the market that will be compatable the "other" company's Digital File Player

I have been dragging my feet about looking into what it would entail to set-up some sort of NAS, although I have no real complaints using (& moving as needed) portable drives. A half or terabyte of music at time works just fine for my listening sessions.

Marius

« Reply #94 on: 20 Mar 2013, 05:22 pm »

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Is there any chance of hooking up the bp26 to this? Love the look of it, and would love the remote functionality even better....
Marius

Alpha10

« Reply #95 on: 20 Mar 2013, 06:20 pm »

The BOT-1 in my home setup

Hi Chris, I see you have learnt from James to take your work home, it must be a tough life  :lol:

A couple of questions, I take it from the BOT display showing adele that it is playing the CD, but it looks like a BDP1 underneath, I thought the BDP1 could only play from memory? Also the display looks very blue compared with the BDP, which on the blue LED option is still quite aqua, I know it is aesthetics, but do you think the displays on the BOT will match the BDP/SP3?

Cheers

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #96 on: 20 Mar 2013, 10:28 pm »
It's Chris' fault!  :icon_twisted:

Well . . . not entirely Chris' fault. It's James' fault as well. And it's all your fault, too. So there.

I've been considering an SP3, which should play nicely with my 6B-SST(C) and my two 4B-SST(C) amps. Bryston's James and Stan were very helpful in answering my queries, making my decision an easy one.

Then I looked at the AudioCircle threads on the BDP-2 and the BDA-2 . . .

The astute and helpful forum posts from the gents above and from AudioCircle members got me thinking . . . always dangerous. So a couple of weeks ago, I ordered the SP3, BDP-2, and BDA-2.

But you guys have more to answer for. Now, I'm planning to order the BOT-1. Your fault. Chris, did you really have to stay up until the wee hours to get it cooking? Or was that Unincognito's evil doppelgänger?

Stop the madness, guys! Be less helpful.

Cheerio, and thanks again,

Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #97 on: 20 Mar 2013, 11:14 pm »
Hi Chris,

Is there any chance of hooking up the bp26 to this? Love the look of it, and would love the remote functionality even better....
Marius

Hi Marius,

Your in luck, currently our main focus is addin the IR component to the software and creatin the IR adapter to make this a reality.  Unfortunately that's on hold while we concentrate on the BOT, but it is in my radar.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #98 on: 21 Mar 2013, 06:07 am »
wait a minute... rereading this confuses me. The Bp26 is ir-enabled and uses the BR2... no need for that  :scratch: :scratch: I meant enabling the Web app interface of course. to be able to control it with the iPad/iphone etc.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Thanx to you!

Marius

Hi Marius,

Your in luck, currently our main focus is addin the IR component to the software and creatin the IR adapter to make this a reality.  Unfortunately that's on hold while we concentrate on the BOT, but it is in my radar.

Cheers
Chris
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2013, 02:31 pm by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #99 on: 23 Mar 2013, 02:38 pm »
Hi Chris,

great read!
I see your experimenting with Plex, which is a wonderful piece of software. Ive tried a lot of those fileservers, Plex ended up as the most intuitive and succesful one. As a matter of fact, Ive got the Plex server on my Nas indexing my music library as we speak. I guess we don't need a Plex server to run on the BDP's, but do need the MAx-client to be able to read those separately running servers.
is the dlna setting on the BDp1 ready for that? It won't find my Plexserver automatically yet.

Thanks,
Marius

Sorry abou that Marius, I was having a stressful weekend and you really didn't deserve it.  BAM-1?  Other the. Playing and ripping cd's we still arn't entirely sure what else the bot will do.  I will mention what I am playing with:

-abcde open source cd ripper wih integrated cd-db.org or tag data
-I still havn't settled on a piece of software for ripping audio out of DVD's but I'm leaning towards vobcopy and cli version of handbreak to encode a copy of surround sound audio into two channel.  This would allow customers to store both stereo and multichannel audio from Dvd's.  with the BDP-2's upnp server feature it could host the video for upnp enabled devices.
-for blurays I'm looking at makemkv, however it's been nearly a year since I hav used this program and I'm still not entirely sure about its license agreement.
-I have also started integrating plex server into early builds of manic moose (version S2.XX) of the firmware that will be released for both the BDP's later this year.  I don't think plex will run on a BDP-1 so I am also looking for a light upnp server it could handle.  For the BDP-1 I'm leaning towards the same thing that he wd live drives use, can't remember it's name but it was open source and I wrote it down some where in my cubicle.

Cheers,
Chris