..thinking about batteries

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: ..thinking about batteries
« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2011, 02:02 am »
I bought a used Virtue 2 which I believe doesn't have the soft start.  It gives a bit of a bump on start up.  Does that rule out batteries?

Are there other power supply options  (better and or cheaper)  than the 30v power supply sold on the Virtue site?( I am in Canada so getting the ps from Virtue will ended up being 200$).

Great amp btw!

xr2

« Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2011, 03:43 am »
The 2 doesn't have the soft start, though I believe that there was an dongle you could get to add that functionality to the amp. 

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:42 am »
The 2 doesn't have the soft start, though I believe that there was an dongle you could get to add that functionality to the amp.

I do have the sofstart external dongles if you want to go that route.
There is a specific way to power the amp on when using one.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #23 on: 17 Oct 2011, 10:48 am »
I am a relative newbie so information on what a dongle may be, how to use it and pricing would be appreciated.

Sounds kinky...

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #24 on: 17 Oct 2011, 08:06 pm »
I am a relative newbie so information on what a dongle may be, how to use it and pricing would be appreciated.

Sounds kinky...

Its an external soft power on device to keep the amp from receiving a large current rush/spike from the batteries when its powered on.
here are a few pictures, it just plugs in inline with the battery power supply wire to the amp.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #25 on: 17 Oct 2011, 11:25 pm »
Note!  That thing only worked when you left the amp on and plugged the cable into the back of it to turn it on!  What a train wreck.  Thanks for picking the wound, Jason.

Rclark

« Reply #26 on: 17 Oct 2011, 11:29 pm »
  :thumb:

Just don't turn the amp off! Turn off your computer or cdp if you want... the amps' batteries will charge to top off and hold, there's no reason to shut off your amp or unplug. So maybe once or twice you with an older amp you'll have that slight inconvenience.

Whatever you owners of older Virtue amps have to do, TRUST it's worth it. In my rig, and I've listened to the amp on three PS's so far, with batteries it's like getting a whole new amp, just a level of refinement and ease and detail.. and and and.. I'll be happy for many many years to come.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #27 on: 17 Oct 2011, 11:34 pm »
Note!  That thing only worked when you left the amp on and plugged the cable into the back of it to turn it on!  What a train wreck.  Thanks for picking the wound, Jason.

I'm kind of confused, are you an employee of the company and is that a sales pitch?   

How much does this marvel go for? :green:

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #28 on: 17 Oct 2011, 11:49 pm »

I've actually found the unit to work properly if...
1. leave the dongle plugged into the amp at all times
2. never turn the amps power switch off
3. when you want to power the amp on plug the battery power cable into the back side of the dongle.
this allows the soft start to function properly and protect the amplifier.

sorry but this is the only full proof (almost full proof) way to run batteries on one of our older amps.

NOTE: if you have a sensation you do not need a soft start of any kind because it is built into your amp.

« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2011, 01:37 am by Jason T »

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #29 on: 17 Oct 2011, 11:56 pm »
I can live with that. 

How much is the dongle?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #30 on: 18 Oct 2011, 11:38 pm »
Dongle on the way  :D!