Isoaoustic Gaia 2 on HT3s

putz

Re: Isoaoustic Gaia 2 on HT3s
« Reply #40 on: 12 Dec 2017, 02:34 am »
Laminate flooring.

I'm not hearing anything new or different on first blush.

Upon extended blushing, do you have a final verdict on the Gaia's?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #41 on: 16 Dec 2017, 01:49 pm »
No difference. I strongly believe I don't need them now that I have moved my speakers and chair (mainly) to a better location and I now avoid the worst humps and dips in the room.

I like the look of them and the speakers are stuck to the floor because they are like mini suction cups. So I might keep them just because they are nice looking.

With further tweaking my SPL looks like this:

TJHUB

« Reply #42 on: 16 Dec 2017, 02:34 pm »
Nice work Pete.  Too bad the Gaia’s didn’t improve the sound.  I was more than curious myself.

How far did you move the speakers and/or listening position?

How accurately placed are your speakers to your listening position?  Within an 1/8”?  Better?

dflee

« Reply #43 on: 16 Dec 2017, 03:59 pm »
A little off topic: I'm ordering a set of Modular 2X2 for my speakers.
Isoacoustic stands made for speakers. Speakers are 110 lbs.

Don

Hydro

« Reply #44 on: 16 Dec 2017, 05:19 pm »
Really strange you didn't hear any difference with the Gaia's. I have used them on three sets of Sallk speakers now and the difference is amazing. Even my wife, who isn't an audio geek, said she could hear about a 20% improvement. Did you hear any difference when you first installed your outriggers?

jriggy

« Reply #45 on: 16 Dec 2017, 09:11 pm »
Is it worth mentioning that you, BRM, augmented the floor under the two speaker locations with something during the build of your room? Or am I mistaken?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #46 on: 17 Dec 2017, 12:05 am »
Is it worth mentioning that you, BRM, augmented the floor under the two speaker locations with something during the build of your room? Or am I mistaken?

Yes, but the speakers have always been on a portion of that then and now. They're pushed back to the very limits of it near the front wall.

Guys, I think these devices can help, especially if the speakers are susceptible to vibrations, etc. My Exoticas improved when I put the rubber wafers under the feet and then the nicer looking Symposiums gave the same performance. Cleaned up the mids, etc. They were also in the bad spot.

My speakers are very heavy as I have lead weights in the uppers and the plinths are 3/8 steel with heavy copper feet. But, moving my chair more than 2 feet forward and the speakers almost the same backward put me out of the nasty intersection of several room modes. No isolation feet would make that much difference and then when you have better response, there is way less need to isolate the speakers from the "room".

Remember, I made room measurements w/o the Symposiums and placed them without. Then I added the Iso units at their final spot and there was no SPL difference. It was easier to adjust the speakers around the room w/o having to also slide the Symposiums with them simultaneously.

The speakers are within a 1/4 inch of their corresponding walls Terry.

TJHUB

« Reply #47 on: 17 Dec 2017, 01:17 pm »

The speakers are within a 1/4 inch of their corresponding walls Terry.

I don’t mean to question your abilities as I’m certain you’ve tweaked and understand this stuff far more than I ever will.  I was asking about the accuracy of the speakers to your listening position, not the walls.  Walls are usually not that accurate, but I have seen high frequency roll off in measurements where the speakers are off 1/4” to the listening position.  Made me think of that when I saw your measurement, but I know the mics we use aren’t that great for high frequencies anyways. 

It took me 2 years to place my speakers.  In the end, I stopped measuring and 1/2” speaker moves sounded different.  It’s a very tough thing to get right, and you can’t base it just on what measures best.  Even the thought of moving speakers makes me want to cry a little.