Can someone explain the (sonic) differences between Maraschino power supplies?

dburna

This is probably a "Tommy" question, but I thought I'd post it here in case one of our esteemed AC members can weigh in:

I was wondering about the differences between the power supplies used for the Maraschino amps.  If I recall, there are three: 36V, 48V, and 60V.  I believe the latter is a linear power supply, whereas the other two are SMPS.  What I wondered about these is as follows:

1. Is there any major sonic difference provided between the 36V and 48V power supplies other than the amount of power supplied to the amp?

2. 60V power supply is a major step up, no?  If so, what differences would one notice?

3. Somewhere I noticed that there is an option available for the STM to also power a DAC DAC, requiring one less power supply in the chain.  Is that option available regardless of which power supply chosen?  Or is it available only for certain power supplies (e.g. 60V)?  And, is this option something that has to be ordered at time of purchase?  Or can it be retro-fitted?

Thanks in advance for your responses,  -dB (a unit measure of noise)

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
This is probably a "Tommy" question, but I thought I'd post it here in case one of our esteemed AC members can weigh in:

I was wondering about the differences between the power supplies used for the Maraschino amps.  If I recall, there are three: 36V, 48V, and 60V.  I believe the latter is a linear power supply, whereas the other two are SMPS.  What I wondered about these is as follows:

1. Is there any major sonic difference provided between the 36V and 48V power supplies other than the amount of power supplied to the amp?

2. 60V power supply is a major step up, no?  If so, what differences would one notice?

3. Somewhere I noticed that there is an option available for the STM to also power a DAC DAC, requiring one less power supply in the chain.  Is that option available regardless of which power supply chosen?  Or is it available only for certain power supplies (e.g. 60V)?  And, is this option something that has to be ordered at time of purchase?  Or can it be retro-fitted?

Thanks in advance for your responses,  -dB (a unit measure of noise)
I'd like to hear what Maraschino users out there have to say as well, especially those who have heard Maraschinos with multiple power supply types, but here's our official take on the "voltages"....

First, there's a difference in power output....

36V Output Power (Maraschino Monoblock):
    70Wpc into 8Ω
    145Wpc into 4Ω
    145Wpc into 2Ω

48V Output Power (Maraschino Monoblock):
    140Wpc into 8Ω
    250Wpc into 4Ω
    250Wpc into 2Ω

60V Output Power (Maraschino Monoblock):
    200Wpc into 8Ω
    400Wpc into 4Ω
    800Wpc into 2Ω

This, and lots of other related reference information can be found here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152409.0

Second, there's a difference in the "idle noise level", but only by a few dB.  48V is a bit quieter than 60V, and 36V is a bit quieter than 48V.

Third, there is a sonic difference giving lower voltage a small advantage when playing at low levels.  However, there is more headroom with higher voltage, so....

Fourth, we recommend use of the lower voltage power supplies with higher efficiency speakers.

Recommended power supply per speaker efficiency:
    80dB (1W/1meter) to 90dB ---- 60V recommended
    90dB to 100dB, larger speakers ---- 60V recommended
    90dB to 100dB, smaller speakers ---- 48V recommended
    Over 100dB, larger speakers ---- 48V recommended
    Over 100dB, smaller speakers ---- 36V recommended

Hope that helps.  Also, check out customer reviews here to see comments on power supply selection:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127654.0

Thanks for your kind post, and have a great weekend.

-Tommy O