Getting back to film in a medium way

charmerci

Getting back to film in a medium way
« on: 19 Aug 2017, 01:05 am »
I occasionally take some great photos (which I never put on the internet - a license to steal) and I can't afford digital Leicas or Hasselblads so for a budget price, I got me one of these medium format cameras for those times I see a great photo out there.

Mamiya 645 1000S

I'll have a digital camera with me so I'll be able to see the image before I use up costly film.

charmerci

Re: Getting back to film in a medium way
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2017, 07:07 pm »
Interesting - with such a good lens, close shots require a higher aperture (hence less light  :|  ) and slower shutter speeds on lesser cameras now necessitate a tripod! The second shot shows hand-held vibrations.

It's kind of hard to see but only a small part of the above photo is in sharp focus.

These are photos from my first test roll made digitally with fairly low resolution - 4MB per photo.

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2017, 02:13 am »
Hey!

I like your subject title, "... back to film in a medium way" and what did I see when I click on the post? A Mamiya 645!  :lol:  Anyway, it is good to see someone beside me here shooting with film.

Look like you've a pretty good result fromyour fist roll. Which film did you use? Kodak Portra 160?

Interesting - with such a good lens, close shots require a higher aperture (hence less light  :|  ) and slower shutter speeds on lesser cameras now necessitate a tripod! The second shot shows hand-held vibrations.

Well, with larger film the depth of field will be shallower given the same f stop as with smaller format like 35mm. Yes, sometime tripod is needed. Although, I found that I can get steady enough to do handheld at 1/30sec with my Hassy 500c/m, but I have to admit that it is a nerve wracking wonder if I got the shot or not after.

It is a very different process compare to digital, a slower one with medium format right? Not to mention you only have 16 shots per roll with your Mamiya 645 also. I think Mamiya 645 is small enough to carry around but still have film size larger than 35mm.

As for putting photos on the internet. I've been using Flickr of which they have option for you to show that your photo are copyrighted and I set it so that people can't download them. Of course I'm sure people can still find way to steal them. But this is the only for me to share my photos with my family and friends. Although, I can set all my photos to "private" there and only send out link to people I want to show them to.

Anyway, congratulation on your Mamiya 645 and keep us updated on your film works.

Take care
Buddy  :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2017, 02:28 am »
I would love to have a 4x5 view camera again but don't know if I have the vision to operate one anymore. Since I don't have the money to buy it either, it kind of doesn't matter, but there are certain things you can't do- or in some cases, do as well- with anything else.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2017, 07:27 pm »
Thanks buddy.

I have to go the cheapest route I can - hence the Mamiya and not a Hassy!  :( But from I've read their lenses are as or are almost as good as the Zeiss ones. ??? I went with Ektar 100 and maybe too cheap as the expiration date on it is 2011 (unfortunately?) and Ilford Delta 400 (exp. 2019).

But yeah, I just have to get used to the shallower depth of field which is quite a surprise. I just finished another roll each this morning and have just sent them off to have them developed and scanned. These should be better shots than the first practice roll. Film sure is a   m  u  c  h   s  l  o  w  e  r   m  e  d  i  u  m  than digital. Patience is definitely needed!!!

Thanks for the flickr info. But after these rolls are developed it's going to be a long, long time before I use it again. I'm going to re-visit shots that I love and took before but they are distant from here - Europe when I go there this winter.

I do think that there are a couple other people here that do film.

Charlie

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2017, 06:17 am »
Thanks buddy.

I have to go the cheapest route I can - hence the Mamiya and not a Hassy!  :( But from I've read their lenses are as or are almost as good as the Zeiss ones. ??? I went with Ektar 100 and maybe too cheap as the expiration date on it is 2011 (unfortunately?) and Ilford Delta 400 (exp. 2019).

But yeah, I just have to get used to the shallower depth of field which is quite a surprise. I just finished another roll each this morning and have just sent them off to have them developed and scanned. These should be better shots than the first practice roll. Film sure is a   m  u  c  h   s  l  o  w  e  r   m  e  d  i  u  m  than digital. Patience is definitely needed!!!

Thanks for the flickr info. But after these rolls are developed it's going to be a long, long time before I use it again. I'm going to re-visit shots that I love and took before but they are distant from here - Europe when I go there this winter.

I do think that there are a couple other people here that do film.

Charlie

Hey!

Charlie, Ektar 100 was my second guess, but the color of the first pic look a bit soft and with lower contrast almost like what I've seen when I use Portra 160. That could be that your Ektra is expired for a few years and perhaps not well kept (not kept in freezer) For medium format films, my line up right now are Kodak Portra 160, Portra 400 and Ektra 100 for color. For B&W, Kodak Tri-X 400 is my stable, Fomapan 100, Ilford Delta 3200, TMax 100 and 400. I develop my own B&W film but for color I use local pro labs here in NYC. I scan them myself with Epson V550.   

I owned a Mamiya 67 RZ Pro II back in the late '90s. I sold the set after about 2 years since it wasn't get much use, most of times back than I was either use 35mm or 4X5 and not to mention it was huge and heavy! Mamiya's lenses vs. Zeiss? This is a personal choice and taste. But for me when is come to sharpness and contrast I will have to give Zeiss a nod here. But still don't over look Mamiya's lenses they are very good also. One famous photographer that I can recall right now that use Mamiya is Diane Arbus, she used Mamiya TLR. I actually thought about pinking up a Mamiya 6 not long ago.

As for Hassy, you can still pick up a set of 500C/M with 80mm and back for about $1K or less sometime. But even the youngest 500C/M is now over 20 years old, although they are well made, but if you're going to seriously use it for something important you might have to factor in some money getting it serviced. But it is a great system, and the square format is actually pretty nice. Looking back now, I should have bought myself a set of 500C/M back in the '90s instead of the Mamiya 67RZ Pro II, I think if I did that I would still have the Hassy today. Still Hasselbald 500C/M was always in mind for years, so about 2 years ago I just gave in and bought a set! And I think I've made a right decision, it is a great and fun camera to use.

Anyway, here's link to pictures I took with my Hasselbald 500C/M, 50mm, 80mm, and 150mm set...

https://flic.kr/s/aHskcWjYZR

For pictures I shot with film I usually included info on camera, lens, film and processing info for B&W also on the bottom of the photo.

A little side note... I'm taking off to London for a week and I'm taking film with me. This time I'm doing 35mm films. From what I've read on the internet London Heathrow airport is notorious about refusing the request for hand inspection of film.  :( This not good for me, so wish me luck on this one!

Anyway, do keep me updated on your venture with your film Mamiya.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2017, 06:31 am »
I would love to have a 4x5 view camera again but don't know if I have the vision to operate one anymore. Since I don't have the money to buy it either, it kind of doesn't matter, but there are certain things you can't do- or in some cases, do as well- with anything else.

Hey!

Actually a set of used 4x5 with 150mm and some film holders are not that expensive now these days. The problem is the cost of film is what you have to worry about. For example 10 sheet of Kodak Tri-X is $24 and for color 10 sheet of Kodak Ektra is $36!

Take care,
Buddy