Taking Sensation to the next level.

Trismos

Re: Taking Sensation to the next level.
« Reply #20 on: 25 Mar 2015, 12:08 am »
I have the M-901 with the Clarity caps and Dodd buffer. The single greatest upgrade was by far running it on batteries though. I didn't find all that much difference with the buffer - but my particular amp had quite a problem with it when adjusting the volume with the remote control. I'd get a loud rustling sound that was quite annoying. Others had this same problem also. Thankfully a small toggle was installed with it and I've just shut the thing off.

Other than that this amp just works so incredibly well in my system.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2015, 12:23 am »
Those pots that Gary used are very high quality, but they do make a noise when using the remote.  His buffers get amazing detail, and the pot is part of the whole.  It used to bother me a bit, but it's only for a second or two while you adjust the volume. 

RDavidson

« Reply #22 on: 25 Mar 2015, 02:46 am »
When I had my decked out M901, I found that simply turning the volume control back and forth a few times cleared much of the rustling sound at least temporarily (ie until I turned my system off, then came back to it the next day).

I think the buffer was just sensitive to picking up mechanical noise from the volume pot.

abernardi

« Reply #23 on: 25 Mar 2015, 03:59 am »
Sure, the rustling is a known "feature" of this amp.  Imagine birds flitting by every time you change volume.  :thumb: But it doesn't damage anything, it's just there. 

I'm frankly surprised that a few of the posters don't find the buffer to be more impactful.  To my ear, the buffer raised this amp from a good T-amp to an audiophile component.  The battery was also part and parcel to that leap.  But if I clicked off the buffer, even with the battery (and the Clarity caps and the bypass), the amp just seemed to lose it's life force and became a hi-fi.  Just my opinion.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2015, 07:57 pm »
Gary used a very unique grounding scheme in the buffer which caused the issue.  Had he used a resistor instead of a super high impedance inductor, there would be no issue.  It is what it is and most people found it livable if strange.

dba

• demand better audio
    • Demand Better Audio
« Reply #25 on: 29 Mar 2015, 11:23 pm »
Oh no...Here we go  :?

Danny: What are you thoughts on DSD? I could buy a Schiit Loki for $149. But DSD source material is limited/expensive. Is it worth it?

Scott

DSD is great, as long as you've got the speakers to exploit it (the assumption is the 901 is also very capable). The SMSL is peanuts in the scheme of most systems, a real bargain for the ES9018 if you know what your goal is. I demo our speakers a lot and the Mac Mini with SSD to the DAC (which JRiver has a plugin for) is a very good way to show not only the difference in musical pieces but their path (DSD either streaming online or stored) and their sample rate (the SMSL switches automatically).

Today at a show in Melton Mowbray, UK, a room had an A,B,C demo of DSD, PCM and CD (AIFF), it was fascinating and people could mostly hear an audible difference, if only the system was more capable the upper reaches of the DSD files would've made the experience less 'hearing test' and more 'obvious enlightenment'.

If I could mention the vol pot. As I say I do many demos, I have no issues, I got into the habit of going thru the switch on routine and before tapping the face switch I twiddle that lovely billet volume knob - it's like petting a faithful friend, no autum leaf rustle for me :wink:...please try it.

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #26 on: 23 Oct 2016, 12:46 pm »
 :duh:Hello guys, l have opened my M451  ClarityCap 3.3 big muthas) and realised that there Virtue Caps (are these the bypass caps?) underneath the CC's, there is a bit of room in there, could l upgrade the Virtue Caps to ClarityCap, if so what value CC would l require, thanks for any help. :thumb:

Loving The Sensation with Impulse H6 ( baby horns.) :bowdown: