i am making one now...

Poultrygeist

Re: My new Beta 12LTA over H-frame Alpha build
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2012, 07:24 pm »
cool!

this_is_vv

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jul 2012, 01:54 am »
As promised made one...will slowly make it close to you...this is just start point...

Poultrygeist

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2012, 11:26 am »
Great job and tell us more.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #24 on: 2 Aug 2012, 02:43 pm »
VV,

I know that you are also buying the Beta 12LTA and predict that as good as the small TBs sound you will like the Betas better.

After living with the 12 inch Betas for a few months my 8 inch TB W8-1808 tops are in the closet. The huge sound stage has won me over.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #25 on: 9 Aug 2012, 07:04 pm »
FWIW here is a review of two of the three amps I use to power these OBs.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/dayton_apa150_e.html

this_is_vv

« Reply #26 on: 12 Aug 2012, 05:59 am »

Nice review but wanted to make rue we can use any 100w amp for bass...if someone wants to save money they can use something like what you got a receiver that can be used as amo

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #27 on: 12 Aug 2012, 08:32 am »

Interesting how Linn Audio of New Hampshire sells the Dayton 150 as the LANH 150 for $1950.

Dayton 150, $128-210

LANH 150, $1950

I checked the Linn website and saw a Behringer A500 being sold as the LANH 500 for $3500. This Behringer sells for $222.34 at Amazon.

You really can't mistake the appearance of the Behringer!

Behringer A500, $222.34

LANH 500, $3500

As with the Dayton, not all of the silk screening is removed. In the case of the Dayton, their logo was even left in place, and it looks like the Behringer trademark with the ear in a triangle is still on the central meter!

Mijknarf

« Reply #28 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:23 am »
Mr. Poultrygeist... +1 as a believer!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #29 on: 13 Aug 2012, 02:04 am »
Mijknarf, may I suggest you think long and hard before covering that ceiling up with drywall or anything hard. I had a low ceiling in my last basement listening room and it sounded great when the pink fiberglass was exposed like that - and not nearly as good after I had installed a double layer of drywall suspended from the joists above. If you are be concerned about falling glass fibers, you could cover it with plastic before whatever you decide to use as a covering, presuming it's some kind of fabric, or otherwise porous.

studiotech

« Reply #30 on: 13 Aug 2012, 02:49 am »
Interesting how Linn Audio of New Hampshire sells the Dayton 150 as the LANH 150 for $1950.

Dayton 150, $128-210

LANH 150, $1950

I checked the Linn website and saw a Behringer A500 being sold as the LANH 500 for $3500. This Behringer sells for $222.34 at Amazon.

You really can't mistake the appearance of the Behringer!

Behringer A500, $222.34

LANH 500, $3500

As with the Dayton, not all of the silk screening is removed. In the case of the Dayton, their logo was even left in place, and it looks like the Behringer trademark with the ear in a triangle is still on the central meter!

This really pisses me off!

Greg

this_is_vv

« Reply #31 on: 13 Aug 2012, 04:06 am »
Mr. Poultrygeist... +1 as a believer!

i just loved your speaker...this is what i should be making now...beautiful...hows the sound u like??

V

Mijknarf

« Reply #32 on: 13 Aug 2012, 05:07 am »
V:  Thanks for the feedback. Their sound is large, open, and as full range as I've ever known.  Stereo separation is wide yet imaging is really good.  This is the first time I've used a tweeter in 5+ years, so it has taken some getting use to.  Uber detail is not a strength of the 12LTA drivers, but the trade off for big/dynamic sound stage is worth it.

Russell: Great point and I appreciate the input.  I'm planning on a suspended ceiling, not drywall.  I was wondering what the change in acoustics would do. I need to ponder the next move carefully...

Poultrygeist:  Thanks for all the input and feedback, you were a big help!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #33 on: 13 Aug 2012, 05:38 am »
With a suspended ceiling (I'm assuming you would be using "acoustic tile") I think you would hear a slight degradation compared to what you are hearing now (it must be pretty good with nice clean bass!) since there would be a degree of reflection of the upper mids and highs that you are not getting now. The most important characteristic should stay intact, though, - or even improve - and that is the bass absorption.  I do think it would be your best conventional option.

this_is_vv

« Reply #34 on: 13 Aug 2012, 05:40 am »
V:  Thanks for the feedback. Their sound is large, open, and as full range as I've ever known.  Stereo separation is wide yet imaging is really good.  This is the first time I've used a tweeter in 5+ years, so it has taken some getting use to.  Uber detail is not a strength of the 12LTA drivers, but the trade off for big/dynamic sound stage is worth it.

Russell: Great point and I appreciate the input.  I'm planning on a suspended ceiling, not drywall.  I was wondering what the change in acoustics would do. I need to ponder the next move carefully...

Poultrygeist:  Thanks for all the input and feedback, you were a big help!

so i see lot of tube amps...whats the crossover active or passive...?..also can you take a back pic of top ...

Mijknarf

« Reply #35 on: 13 Aug 2012, 02:41 pm »
Bass is run from stereo 250 watt plate amps low pass set at 175Hz (use a 6.4mH coil).
12LTA and tweeter run from a 2A3 SET amp.  12LTA straight from amp and I use a 1.0uF cap on the tweeter.

A question for anyone... Should I connect the tweeter and 12LTA in parallel or series?  Parallel would show a 4 ohm load to the amp, series would show a 16 ohm load, correct?  Not sure where I need to be.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #36 on: 13 Aug 2012, 09:28 pm »
Mijknarf,

As I told you in the PM those puppies are just drop dead gorgeous.  :thumb:

Dang if you didn't stain the Easter egg phase plugs to match the rest of the wood.

I wish you could bring them with you when you travel south.

Mijknarf

« Reply #37 on: 14 Aug 2012, 02:16 am »
Thanks Paul.

As an answer to my question above regarding wiring, I ended up putting the drivers in series and used the 16 ohm tap on my James OPT. 

this_is_vv

« Reply #38 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:35 am »
what kinda wires do one use to connect the speaker terminal to the binding post... i am using this...is it too heavy?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2748&seq=1&format=2

any inputs

V

mor2bz

« Reply #39 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:52 am »
Not correct: load will still be 8 ohms when wired in parallel

looks like a great setup.  Owens Corning has dense fibreglass panels
for ceilings if you do not want to lose your absorption.

Wouldn't a beta 15 go low enough for you in the bass h frames and
deliver tighter bass?  I have them and they don't go low enough in a panel
but I bet they do great in a H frame.

best of luck