Opened up my kismet in khartago, took some pics!

uncola

Opened up my kismet in khartago, took some pics!
« on: 19 Oct 2016, 02:15 am »
I dropped a tiny plastic zip-tie into the vents so I had to open it up to remove it.  a T-20 Torx screwdriver tip worked for the 4 screws on the bottom of the case, then it just slides backwards off the amp.  There's a foam pad attached to the cover I think where the 4 big vertical capacitors go, I think so they don't contact the metal of the case.  For vibration damping or maybe just protection reasons.  Noticed some foam on the bottom near the amp pcb too, maybe for damping(cool!)  Everything inside is very impressive, looks like excellent quality build and assembly.. all eight of my caps say odyssey sl reference I think that means I have 80,000 picofarads of capacitance per channel.  Anyone know if the big ribbed hose on the speaker binding post hookup wire is extra shielding or extra insulation for safety?  or air dielectric?

http://imgur.com/gallery/3WtpB

dB Cooper

Re: Opened up my kismet in khartago, took some pics!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2016, 02:33 am »
Good job with the pics. I saw Odyssey amps (not sure which ones) at Capital Audiofest this past summer, in the room with those $220K KEFs that look like giant shampoo bottles. At every CAF I have been to, Klaus' room equals, and in many cases surpasses, some much more expensive systems.

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2016, 02:46 am »
The rubber thing over the output wires is probably just to keep it tiddy. If it's connected to ground it's a mistake in design because it will cause phase shift.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2016, 03:03 am »
If i was a tech i wouldn't touch it without a schematic all parts are crammed

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2016, 10:31 am »
Well, George,  good thing that you aren't a tech then...as for the cable,  it's the mantle of the TS Premium Groneberg cable...the TS Pr.  is a 2 part cable,  with a shielding mantle over the cable and soldered to be an open ground.....very,  very good, obviously....and yup,  keep it alone,  and nope, not a design mistake,  not connected to ground of the amp.....guys, really ????  You don't think that after making 6000 + amps I wouldn't know ????   Really ????

marflao

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2016, 11:10 am »
Welcome to the Odyssey club, uncola. No LHL amp yet? ;-)

Have a look at (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125904.msg1331893#msg1331893)] for some further insight about the different caps.

All the best,
M.

uncola

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2016, 12:29 pm »
heh nope no LH Labs amp, I didn't want to go DOWN in power.  Plus they never really explained the topology if it's class h with two different voltage rails or however it works.  Plus only a 1 year warranty vs oddyssey's warranty of until klaus's family line is ended when abraham van helsing stakes the last bunge

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2016, 12:36 pm »
??????????????????  Dude,  WTF  ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????hehehehe

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2016, 04:43 pm »
uncola,

I looked at your Systems and noticed that you have the New Philharmonitors also! How do you like 'em?

It's GIGO (garbage in, g out) with them, especially recordings and even the computer as a source!

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2016, 05:15 pm »
Have you listened with just twisted wires on the output, Klaus?

ford1215

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2016, 05:07 am »
Just ordered my Kismet in a Khartago case the other day! Looking forward to getting them in. Thanks to Klaus for his help in getting me what I need.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2016, 07:23 am »
Hey Fletcher,

My pleasure,  and again,  thanks for your support here !!!

Folsom:  yes, of course....over the 3 year += period in getting the Kismet to its final stage,  I have listened to tons of different cables...inexpensive up to quite some $$$  ones,  and I always, always always came back to the Groneberg TS Premium's...just love this frickin'  wire.......both, Quattro Ref.  and the TS Prem.  do 3 things extraordinarily well:
1.  emotions...- goosebumps
2.  Soundstaging...freakishly wide, deep, and layered,  and
3.  tonality...never bright, brittle or sibilant...naturally extended without ever the slightest hint of fatigue....

And yup,  that also shows up in the amps and speakers that we make .....

Late,

Klaus

Late,

Klaus

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2016, 10:33 am »

AGS

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2016, 11:58 am »
Uncola,
Welcome to the kismet in khartago club.  If this is your first acquisition from Odyssey, your are in for a plesant surprise. Your Odyssey amp will sound even better over time. I keep my kismet mono amps powered on all the time, and after a year of using the pair, I am still astonished how good these amps really are.  Like others, I have had other high quality amps (ss and tube) in my system over the years, but have found nothing that works for me like the kismet monos.  3 or 4 months ago I substituted the standard fuses with SR Black fuses...another big step forward in my system...happy listening!

germay0653

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2016, 02:55 pm »
Hey Uncola,  you're in for a much better experience with Klaus than the other vendor that's been a PIA with regard to customer service plus the bang for the buck with Klaus is also way over the top.  You will not regret this decision!! :thumb:

simon wagstaff

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2017, 09:47 pm »
I am joining the Kismet in Khartago club shortly, placed my order today. Will be powering a pair of Radho C1.2.

Stercom

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2017, 12:12 am »
I am joining the Kismet in Khartago club shortly, placed my order today. Will be powering a pair of Radho C1.2.
Congrats! Good choice! :thumb:

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2017, 03:02 am »
Awesome, it is always a special pleasure to take a look inside.