The Grand Budapest Hotel

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
The Grand Budapest Hotel
« on: 5 Jun 2014, 02:02 am »
I enjoyed it. It is of course a Wes Anderson film - quirky, self-indulgent, colorful, symmetrical ( http://vimeo.com/89302848 ), whimsical, child-like at times, with bunch of famous characters in bit parts.

Excellent cinematography, fun story. At times it has a kind of James Bond feel to it.

jimdgoulding

Re: The Grand Budapest Hotel
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2014, 02:26 am »
Wes Anderson makes great films with a capital G, imo. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2014, 03:03 am »
I really loved it too.  What a great cast!  A winner all around. :thumb:

shahed

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2014, 03:29 am »
Wes Anderson never made a movie less than dazzling. I'm so looking forward to this movie.

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2014, 04:46 am »
Might be my favorite of his. Perfect material for him.

brother love

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2014, 10:23 am »
Grand with a capital "G" !  This movie is spectacular on a big screen, serious eye candy. Ralph Fiennes gives an Oscar worthy performance IMO. 

Wes Anderson is one of my most favorite directors.  A master of whimsy & quirky. Rushmore will always top my personal list, but I love all of his movies. Grand Budapest is his most adult (even a bit raunchy at times) movie to date. A real gem of a movie. I look forward to seeing it again.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2014, 01:58 am »
Watched this last night..
Really enjoyed it, very quirky and agree on the video quality..
Thought the guy playing the young Zero was very good.  Fiennes great as usual.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2014, 06:25 pm »
This is my favorite movie by him to date. Easily.

It helps that some of the characters smile. Some of his other movies they don't smile, smirks and stuff, but no real smiles. It's kind of his trademark. You often think it's the slightly low contrast and other things but... no smiles is the biggest indicator that tends to let you know you're watching one of his films before anyone even tells you. Moonrise Kingdom - not one fully legit smile, two smirks, one from each main character; despite there being a hundred children in the movie.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2014, 08:41 pm by Salis Audio »

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2014, 06:35 pm »
The cast is outstanding.  Directing was superb.

That just makes it what it is, very well done.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2014, 08:42 pm »
It seems to me like this is a milestone in his willingness to make some actually absurd comedy. Prior to this he's been very conservative.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2014, 09:47 am »
I just finished watching this one. Wes Anderson films are always really frustrating for me. I love the fact that they always feel fresh, that he always brings together a very interesting group of talented actors, and the sense of not having any idea what will happen next...but I find his style so DAMN annoying lol. It's like when you hang out with someone that everyone else really gets along with, and you don't have anything bad to say about them at all, but for whatever reason you just find yourself wanting to punch them in the face. That's kind of how I feel about this guy's stuff.

I never feel quite right providing any sort of rating, so I'll just say that I think most everyone will like this movie.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2014, 10:36 pm »
AJ, it's the no smiling! I've been told he doesn't smile much in person either. He's like some sorta depressed uncle you wouldn't leave you kids with, or they'd be upset about it. There's not much of a question if he's a sorta dysfunctional person, but it serves well for entertaining us. Like most artists...

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2014, 11:35 am »
AJ, it's the no smiling! I've been told he doesn't smile much in person either. He's like some sorta depressed uncle you wouldn't leave you kids with, or they'd be upset about it. There's not much of a question if he's a sorta dysfunctional person, but it serves well for entertaining us. Like most artists...

I think I'm even more disturbed about him after reading that  :lol:

I'm glad we have him as a filmmaker, I just wish I could get over what annoys me so that I could appreciate him like the rest of you guys.

ss397

« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2014, 01:35 am »
This was a very entertaining film. The cast was amazing, as was the story.

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2014, 03:01 am »
I found this film to be not plausible and walked out.

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2014, 04:58 am »

Did you walk out on Jurassic Park 1-3 too?

shahed

« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:24 am »
I recently watched the movie on blu ray (yes, it's on netflix already). One of the best movie I've watched in recent times. Either this or Moonrise Kingdom is the finest movie Wes Anderson ever made.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2014, 06:31 am »

Hahahaha! :lol:  To each his own.  But did you have any idea what movie you were seeing or did you go to the ticket booth and say "surprise me". :wink:  Don't waste your money on Frozen then, either- it totally couldn't really happen.

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 6 Aug 2014, 06:41 am »

A movie that's not plausible? In this day and age? How odd.

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 9 Sep 2014, 03:32 pm »

Sounds like a line from a... Wes Anderson movie.