RIP Jack Bruce

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
RIP Jack Bruce
« on: 25 Oct 2014, 07:20 pm »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: RIP Jack Bruce
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2014, 07:24 pm »
RIP Mr. Bruce

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2014, 07:43 pm »
"Wheels of Fire" gets played tonite at very high volume.  I saw something about band mate Ginger Baker on the telly recently.  Lives in South Africa, I believe it said, and is not very friendly to strangers.  In addition to playing the bass, Bruce was Cream's singer and was bloody perfect in that context.  RIP.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2014, 08:02 pm »
Cream may be the best power trio from rock, a shame the sound quality from its CDs are bad, the recording was modeled to LP only, the rule format at the time.
RIP

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2014, 08:05 pm »
I have some of Cream's original vinyl from way back in my HS days, and the sound quality is rather poor.

jonbee

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2014, 08:14 pm »
RIP indeed.
Not a very likeable man, but a great musician who really brought a jazz perspective to power rock.
Hi solo albums "Songs for a Tailor" and "Shadows in the Air" in particular were great music that were sadly overlooked and never found a wide audience.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2014, 08:17 pm »
Beg, borrow or steal "Beware of Mr. Baker", the excellent documentary film about Ginger Baker. The film includes interviews with Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton talking about the Cream wars.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2014, 08:46 pm »
RIP, just read the news.  Have the Ginger Baker film on my Netflix watchlist for a bit but have not gotten to it and was just enjoying 'Fresh Cream' which I picked up on SACD

tubesguy2

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:07 pm »
Wow, who'd a thought Ginger Baker would outlive anyone?

I have "Never Tell Your Mother She's Out of Tune" on my iPod. Great singer.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:43 pm »
I have some of Cream's original vinyl from way back in my HS days, and the sound quality is rather poor.
My "Wheels of Fire" is vinyl.  So, are we saying that the CD is better sounding?  Not that I care much.  I'm gonna turn up the volume to "STUN" and take my chances.  I hope Baker isn't terribly compressed.

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:47 pm »
Bad news, indeed.  Jack Bruce was one of my favorite bassists. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2014, 11:50 pm »
Sad news. His talents will be missed. RIP Mr. Bruce.

pconley2

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2014, 11:55 pm »
Along with Jack Cassidy of the Jefferson Airplane, Jack was the best bass player of his era.

Opps, forgot John Entwhistle of the Who, also sadly gone!

sunnydaze

« Reply #13 on: 27 Oct 2014, 02:46 pm »
My "Wheels of Fire" is vinyl.  So, are we saying that the CD is better sounding?  Not that I care much.  I'm gonna turn up the volume to "STUN" and take my chances.  I hope Baker isn't terribly compressed.

Not comparing, I have no idea how Cream digital sounds, don't have any.  Simply saying my old Cream vinyl doesn't sound good -- flat, compressed, edgy and thin.  I don't have "Wheels of Fire".