BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #760 on: 3 Aug 2014, 01:47 pm »
Hi James!

Understood! I still think BDP-1 is a lot more sensible value for the money if you don't need eSATA connectivity.

I don't want to revive the old BOT-1 thread so let me post my question here instead - is that project still going forward? Are you still inclined on making it BDP-1 compatible through USB interface?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

Yes we are still looking at the BOT and it will be USB compatible.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #761 on: 3 Aug 2014, 02:10 pm »
Hi Antun

Yes we are still looking at the BOT and it will be USB compatible.

james

Thank you James!
Antun

Spritz57

« Reply #762 on: 4 Aug 2014, 03:39 pm »
I believe hfs+ write support has been added, it's been awhile since I have tested it as it's not the first filesystem I would choose.

Cheers
Chris

Chris,

I need to purchase and install a scratch drive.  My music files are currently stored on a  1 TB HFS+ formatted drive (and working perfectly on my BDP-2) so can one use HFS+ for the scratch disc?  Secondly, can one use either a FAT32 or NTSF formatted drive as the scratch drive with the music files stored on a HFS+ drive--will mixing formats create any "down the line" issues?

tomsenko

« Reply #763 on: 5 Aug 2014, 05:39 pm »
Hi Chris or someone else who knows!

How can I revert to the previous firmware from the Manic Moose?

Regards,
Toms

SkotiPati

« Reply #764 on: 18 Aug 2014, 06:59 pm »
Cheers everybody.

My BDP-1 goes directly on to a screen that says "BDP1 000040 S1.40 2012-05-10" and nothing happens. If you press any buttons on the device nothing happens. Just this screen. I am stuck. Shutting down and powering up does nothing.

Tride to get into its Settings through bryston-bdp-1.local but when it says username and password I write bryston for both but I transfer to a internal server error site.

I am a sad audiophile. So sad.  :cry:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #765 on: 18 Aug 2014, 07:31 pm »
Cheers everybody.

My BDP-1 goes directly on to a screen that says "BDP1 000040 S1.40 2012-05-10" and nothing happens. If you press any buttons on the device nothing happens. Just this screen. I am stuck. Shutting down and powering up does nothing.

Tride to get into its Settings through bryston-bdp-1.local but when it says username and password I write bryston for both but I transfer to a internal server error site.

I am a sad audiophile. So sad.  :cry:

Hi

Email crice@bryston.ca and he will assist.

james

SkotiPati

« Reply #766 on: 18 Aug 2014, 07:52 pm »
Hi

Email crice@bryston.ca and he will assist.

james

Thanks James that was fast.

I e-mailed Chris right away.

mfig

« Reply #767 on: 18 Aug 2014, 08:08 pm »
Get used to it. Bryston service is of the highest order

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #768 on: 18 Aug 2014, 09:56 pm »
Thanks James that was fast.

I e-mailed Chris right away.

He needs to either call or we need to send him a replacement cf card

Cheers,
Chris

SkotiPati

« Reply #769 on: 19 Aug 2014, 08:43 am »
This is my first Bryston product and wow! The speed and quality of the service was the best I've seen in the industry.

Thank you James and Chris.

With the help from Chris I managed to flash my CF card with a bit of Mac Os Terminal magic and I can play music now. Which is great. I am sorry to say that as a transport it beats my Wadia S7i marginally. Insane.

I still have one more problem though. Maybe one of you can help me out.

I do not use a remote or any network device to control my bdp-1. I just use the buttons on the device. The problem is when I press the NEXT button, or press the PREV button twice the music cuts and the display says Bryston BDP-1 with a square (STOP) sign. I can't get to the next or previous song. The player just stops like there is no other song. I can manually select the next song and play. No problem with that.

Also when a song is finished the bdp-1 do not start the next song. When it is finished it is done with making music. Again I have to manually start the next song using the list.

It doesn't matter if I activate the Shuffle function. After a song is finished the bdp-1 tell me to get my a** over there and play the next song manually.

Cheers everybody

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #770 on: 19 Aug 2014, 09:36 am »
This is my first Bryston product and wow! The speed and quality of the service was the best I've seen in the industry.

With the help from Chris I managed to flash my CF card with a bit of Mac Os Terminal magic and I can play music now. Which is great. I am sorry to say that as a transport it beats my Wadia S7i marginally. Insane.

I do not use a remote or any network device to control my bdp-1. I just use the buttons on the device. The problem is when I press the NEXT button, or press the PREV button twice the music cuts and the display says Bryston BDP-1 with a square (STOP) sign. I can't get to the next or previous song. The player just stops like there is no other song. I can manually select the next song and play. No problem with that.

Also when a song is finished the bdp-1 do not start the next song. When it is finished it is done with making music. Again I have to manually start the next song using the list.

It doesn't matter if I activate the Shuffle function. After a song is finished the bdp-1 tell me to get my a** over there and play the next song manually.

Cheers everybody

Hi

The front panel was really not intended for managing your playlist etc.  I would recommend that you use your computer (laptop or desktop) or if you can an itouch or ipad for control and management.  Is that possible?

james

SkotiPati

« Reply #771 on: 19 Aug 2014, 09:37 am »

Cheers everybody

Ok I am officially Stupid.

I shouldn't be licensed to get near complicated devices like bdp-1. There should be a law about it.

My problem was that I was selecting individual songs from the device menu so that the device was playing only that song. Seeing the song not part of an album but as a standalone file.

When I played the music by pressing play on an artist or an album all my problems are solved. Next and Prev buttons are working.

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #772 on: 19 Aug 2014, 09:39 am »
Ok I am officially Stupid.

I shouldn't be licensed to get near complicated devices like bdp-1. There should be a law about it.

My problem was that I was selecting individual songs from the device menu so that the device was playing only that song. Seeing the song not part of an album but as a standalone file.

When I played the music by pressing play on an artist or an album all my problems are solved. Next and Prev buttons are working.

Cheers

Hi

Thats great news and that is the way the front panel works but if you can please look into getting a control device - it makes every function much easier to control. 

james

SkotiPati

« Reply #773 on: 19 Aug 2014, 09:41 am »
Hi

The front panel was really not intended for managing your playlist etc.  I would recommend that you use your computer (laptop or desktop) or if you can an itouch or ipad for control and management.  Is that possible?

james

Yes I will try that. Thank you James. The sound is amazing.

R. Daneel

« Reply #774 on: 21 Aug 2014, 09:07 am »
Hello fellas!

As of yesterday, I am a new owner of a BDP-1 digital player!

None of my transports sound as good and even though I am currently using a USB cable with the BDA-2, the sound is unquestionably superior to having the BDA-2 connected to a PC. There is a noticeable smoothness, analogue feel, to the sound but with all the detail you expect from a high-resolution player like this.

I have a couple of questions though so I hope you can provide some answers for me.

1) the playback stops after the song has ended. I suppose you need to create a playlist in order to have continuous playback of all the songs. How do I do it? Keep in mind I am using the player as a CD player with no network.

2) the display goes off after the controls have not been touched for some time even though it still keeps playing. Is this normal and can I turn this off so that the display stays on all the time?

Thanks!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #775 on: 21 Aug 2014, 10:22 am »
Hello fellas!

As of yesterday, I am a new owner of a BDP-1 digital player!

None of my transports sound as good and even though I am currently using a USB cable with the BDA-2, the sound is unquestionably superior to having the BDA-2 connected to a PC. There is a noticeable smoothness, analogue feel, to the sound but with all the detail you expect from a high-resolution player like this. You can also just buy a router and connect it to the BDP1 and have a dedicated network if that is easier for you.

I have a couple of questions though so I hope you can provide some answers for me.

1) the playback stops after the song has ended. I suppose you need to create a playlist in order to have continuous playback of all the songs. How do I do it? Keep in mind I am using the player as a CD player with no network.

2) the display goes off after the controls have not been touched for some time even though it still keeps playing. Is this normal and can I turn this off so that the display stays on all the time?

Thanks!
Antun

Hi Antun

1. You are using the from panel buttons I assume so use the Play button when you see the Drive displayed and it will play all the songs.  Yes you need to get on the network and use your computer or ipad etc, to control and manage your files.

2. Yes the display will turn off after a period of time to reduce wear and tear on the display.  It will come back on as soon as you make a change in the playlist etc.

I agree that the BDP really does provide a much better quality of audio than most people realize as I think the assumption is 'digital is digital' so the computer does not matter.  As you have found out the computer is a big part of the end result.

ENJOY!

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #776 on: 21 Aug 2014, 10:57 am »
Hi Antun

1. You are using the from panel buttons I assume so use the Play button when you see the Drive displayed and it will play all the songs.  Yes you need to get on the network and use your computer or ipad etc, to control and manage your files.

2. Yes the display will turn off after a period of time to reduce wear and tear on the display.  It will come back on as soon as you make a change in the playlist etc.

I agree that the BDP really does provide a much better quality of audio than most people realize as I think the assumption is 'digital is digital' so the computer does not matter.  As you have found out the computer is a big part of the end result.

ENJOY!

james

Hi James!

I am still in a bit of a shock over here. I mean, I spent money on assembling a PC with noiseless power supply, processor cooling and everything else only to find out the driver business is an unpenetrable obstacle. At that point I started questioning computers can be a reliable source for music playback and that put a shade on the external DAC for me and I wondered why on earth I didn't get a CD player instead.

The BDP-1 changes my mind again. Now, I am sure there is a computer somewhere inside there but it certainly doesn't show and to me, this is a real achievement. Together with the BDA-2, it makes for a compelling highly integrated separates system that makes a lot of sense. It can be as simple or as powerful as you want it to be. I had no idea... I did not think a digital transport could enhance the performance in such an extent. I have used a PC, a dedicated CD transport with fine mechanics and DVD players that measured the best on the scope but all of that is now in the past. I get shivers when I hear the Firebird Suite. It completely bowls me over. And all this time, I had no idea...

I took a bit of time to relisten to some of the old samples of vintage analogue synthesizers and let me tell you, the Spectral sounds as good as I have heard it. Searing and melodic. Staggering.

You know, when I was a kid, I heard a pair of Kef Cresta 2 soeakers connected to a Kenwood amplifier and the matching CD player. I still remember the experience and to this day I haven't been able to repeat it even though I have heard much better systems. Until now. Something clicked into it's place and I lost ground. I have no idea what you did to this player or how, but you are to be congratulated. It was the missing link that combines it all together and makes the system greater than the sum of it's parts will allow. Every part of me, as a musician and as a music listener, tells me this is right and it sounds as good as studio sessions or live venues did. Look at me! I am excited over something that knows only 0s and 1s! Insanely great!

I must also thank you for including the cute little Bryston USB thumbdrive with a lovely music selection.

I am left with no words.
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #777 on: 21 Aug 2014, 11:41 am »
Hi James!

I am still in a bit of a shock over here. I mean, I spent money on assembling a PC with noiseless power supply, processor cooling and everything else only to find out the driver business is an unpenetrable obstacle. At that point I started questioning computers can be a reliable source for music playback and that put a shade on the external DAC for me and I wondered why on earth I didn't get a CD player instead.

The BDP-1 changes my mind again. Now, I am sure there is a computer somewhere inside there but it certainly doesn't show and to me, this is a real achievement. Together with the BDA-2, it makes for a compelling highly integrated separates system that makes a lot of sense. It can be as simple or as powerful as you want it to be. I had no idea... I did not think a digital transport could enhance the performance in such an extent. I have used a PC, a dedicated CD transport with fine mechanics and DVD players that measured the best on the scope but all of that is now in the past. I get shivers when I hear the Firebird Suite. It completely bowls me over. And all this time, I had no idea...

I took a bit of time to relisten to some of the old samples of vintage analogue synthesizers and let me tell you, the Spectral sounds as good as I have heard it. Searing and melodic. Staggering.

You know, when I was a kid, I heard a pair of Kef Cresta 2 soeakers connected to a Kenwood amplifier and the matching CD player. I still remember the experience and to this day I haven't been able to repeat it even though I have heard much better systems. Until now. Something clicked into it's place and I lost ground. I have no idea what you did to this player or how, but you are to be congratulated. It was the missing link that combines it all together and makes the system greater than the sum of it's parts will allow. Every part of me, as a musician and as a music listener, tells me this is right and it sounds as good as studio sessions or live venues did. Look at me! I am excited over something that knows only 0s and 1s! Insanely great!

I must also thank you for including the cute little Bryston USB thumbdrive with a lovely music selection.

I am left with no words.
Antun

Hi Antun

You are spot on with "it just sounds right".  I think there is a very fine line between a Great audio system and a Superb audio system - the difference is the ability to express the emotion in the music.  If the system has the ability to induce 'shivers', 'make the hair stand up'  and 'take you there' in my opinion that is the icing on the cake.   :thumb:

james

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #778 on: 21 Aug 2014, 03:24 pm »
Well put, Antun, and congratulations on your BDP/BDA system. I find the BDA/BDP combo the finest source in my system, with superb resolution and incredibly engaging sound. May you have many hours of happy listening.

Rich

Wapiti

« Reply #779 on: 21 Aug 2014, 05:57 pm »
New owner here.

I have searched and have not been able to locate either a tagging "best practices" document for the BDP-1/2 or a discussion of what to do or not do.

I am familiar with ripping and tagging.  My question is limited to what works best for these units and if there is anything to avoid.

For example, do the units prefer embedded album art, or is it better to place the album art in the album's folder (if so, named "folder.jpg?").  Are there fields to avoid which cause reading/playback issues?  Are their fields which others have found particularly useful?, etc.

Thank you for the help.