Project Speed Box

ricmon

Project Speed Box
« on: 19 Dec 2006, 08:34 pm »
I've reached the conclusion that the Project Speed Box sucks.  The one super huge problem is that when it's in the system I can feel vibration in the tone arm and the subsequent increase in surface noise.  The low frequency vibration is easily traceable to the speed box.  In the chain vibration, out the chain no vibration in the tone arm.  Is any body else having this problem with the Speed Box?

gooberdude

Re: Project Speed Box
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2006, 09:55 pm »
hey Ricmon,

I use a Speed Box on an Expression tt.

Are saying that when the SpeedBox is plugged in, you can feel a vibration
in your tonearm?    And when it's removed (and the stock wallwart is used) this
vibration goes away??      :o           

i've owned the SpeedBox (1st version) for a few years and have tried simple tweaks
but the only thing that makes any audible difference is pulling apart the tiny wallwart wires from one another.    A while back i thought the SpeedBox might respond to a vibe draining scheme, but i never heard a change for the good or the bad.  i came to the conclusion that the SB itself doesn't vibrate much at all....but you're issue is something different altogether.

Maybe you have a defective SB?  i'd report the issue to Pro-Ject to see if others have done the same, their phone number is listed on the website.   

I'm wondering if anyone has compared the 2 SpeedBox versions?  Not the SE to the normal, but version 1 and the latest version 2.

ricmon

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2006, 03:47 pm »
I was wondering if the new version is in fact the problem.  Also this is my second Speed Box.  I returned the first one in hopes that the first may have been defected but the problem persist.  I sent an email to Sumiko and I'm now waiting for a reply.  If they don't reply in a timely manner I'll give them a call.

gooberdude

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:12 pm »
Your SB is the MKII version??

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:33 pm »
Hi guys,
I have a Speedbox as well (for ProJect Perspective Carbon)
But for various resons I have spent little time with it and actually it's not even hooked up (need phono pre)  :oops:

When I get home tonight I'll give the Speedbox/TT a listen to see if I hear any funky mechanical noise.
I know with my dust cover on, the cover rings like a bell (OK exaggeration, but its suprisingly loud) - Maybe your cover is amplifying something that the Speedbox is causing?

But let me try to understand, Ric -- The vibration in the tonearm must be coming from the motor, so you think that the motor vibration is increasing, and is being transferred to the arm? Can you place an ear on the plinth itself? Or maybe touch the motor housing and feel a difference?  Just trying to trace your thought process. I'm thinking it's a motor de-coupling issue, but when you say that there is a diff between the Speedbox vs. no speedbox, well, that's pretty conclusive that you know the cause.

Is there any AC conditioning pre-Speedbox?  I've had to move a lamp from my listening room because when on it made my Channel Island D-200 amps hum audibly from the listening chair - I'm just wondering if there may be some other electrical interference that is freaking out the Speedbox? Wild guess I know.

Pls let us know what Sumiko says!

Thanks

ricmon

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2006, 07:22 pm »
It's a pretty obvious situation because the source of the vibration is easy to detect.  I tried moving the wall wort to different outlets.  I tries seperating the wires on the power supply etc.... :x  still uglyness from the SB.

ricmon

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2006, 07:38 pm »
I talked with the people at Sumiko.  Low and be hold the folks at Sumiko told me that the SB has shown some incompatibility with early model Xpression II TT's.  Their recommendation was to return the Speed Box for a refund.   :cry: :x

Psychicanimal

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2006, 09:02 pm »
Their recommendation was to return the Speed Box for a refund.   :cry: :x

It might actually be a god thing... :scratch:

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2006, 09:14 pm »
I just picked up and installed the Walker Audio Precision Power Motor Drive. I'll be spinning some vinyl in about an hour. I'll let you know my initial thoughts.

gooberdude

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2006, 09:16 pm »
i can't recall the mfgr, but somewhere i've seen a speed controller that's compatible with our TT's.

i know Pro-Ject makes a $500 SB SE, but if memory serves me there was another alternative for about $300 for someone other than Pro-Ject.

Rollo, that sucks if you TT isn't compatible with any version of the Speed Box's.   The orig version i have
did improve sonics quite a bit.

pro-ject should be willing to fix your TT if no other alternative is avail...

ricmon

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2006, 09:31 pm »
I did ask them is there was a fix for the problem and got a big fat no.  However, when I called the Neddle Dr. where I bought the thing had no problem refunding my money.  So I asked if we could work something out to replace the TT with a model that can work with the SB.  I'll be calling them back after the holiday rush.

philltubes

« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec 2006, 09:40 pm »
Honestly, I would look elsewhere for a turntable that maintains proper speed and does not require a $500.00 speedbox, then your $500.00 goes toward a better table.  It's amazing that they sell something like this in the first place to correct for a motor that can't maintain proper speed, then they want to gouge you $500.00 to correct the problem.  This is exactly the reason why so many are getting into the Technics SL-1200 tables at this price range.  And no, I don't own one but would not hesitate if my table had speed problems.

Phill

ricmon

« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2006, 05:01 pm »
Honestly, I would look elsewhere for a turntable that maintains proper speed and does not require a $500.00 speedbox, then your $500.00 goes toward a better table.  It's amazing that they sell something like this in the first place to correct for a motor that can't maintain proper speed, then they want to gouge you $500.00 to correct the problem.  This is exactly the reason why so many are getting into the Technics SL-1200 tables at this price range.  And no, I don't own one but would not hesitate if my table had speed problems.

Phill

All TTs need speed control.  Either by an external device or one built in.

gooberdude

« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2006, 06:20 pm »
hey Ric,

Did you ever test your Expression II with a strobe to see if it kept speed without the Speed Box?

My expression keeps good speed with out the SB, but it does sound better with it in place.  And, i play a lot of 45's so it makes switching speeds easy.

mfsoa

« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2006, 07:53 pm »
While this tread is active, and since ricmon seems to have his answer from Sumiko (unfortunately not what he wanted to hear, I assume) I'd like to hijack a little and ask your opinions:

I have the Speedbox II for use with a ProJect Perspective Carbon. This TT used separate motors for 33.3 and 45 RPM. When I got the SB (Speedbox for this thread, not Sqeeze...) I was using the 33.3 RPM motor, but the SB at 33.3 setting was giving me what I assume was 24.6 RPM (33.3 x (33.3/45)) and at 45 setting was giving me what I assume was 33.3 RPM (45 x (33.3/45)). So, to get both 33.3 and 45 RPM selectable with the SB, I need to use the 45 RPM motor. This motor uses a larger pulley than the 33.3 motor. So the questions are:

1) Using the 45 RPM motor with the SB set to 33.3, will this actually result in 33.3 RPM (I have no strobe)?

2) If I use the 33.3 motor with the SB set to 45 RPM, will this give me 33.3 RPM?

3) Given a choice between 1) and 2), I think that it would be preferable to use the smaller pulley on the 33.3 motor (spinning faster) than the larger pulley on the 45 RPM (spinning slower) to get to 33.3 RPM.

Whaddya think. I guess I can always listen for myself!  But thanks anyway for any thoughts.

I guess I'll copy Sumiko on this as well.

gooberdude

« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2006, 09:01 pm »
Hey Mfsoa,

I have the lowly Expression TT, but i think its set-up similar to yours.

When i use the Speedbox, the belt must be on the 45rpm pulley.   Then when i need to have 45 rpm, i just hit the button.

If i didn't have the SB, i'd keep the belt on the 33rpm for 33rpm, and need to move the belt to 45rpm for my 45's.

no idea why this is!   i'd hate to use my TT without the SB though...its convenience really more than anything.

Mfsoa, have you compared your Perspective Carbon to other TT's?  At some point i'll upgrade, not sure if I'll stay with Pro-Ject though.

mfsoa

« Reply #16 on: 21 Dec 2006, 10:49 pm »
Goob,
My choice of a TT was driven largely by what my brother carries in his store (Project is his only TT line), since I get the family discount! :wink:
TTs may be the hardest things to compare side-by-side due to cart. differences, etc.

I felt that the basic engineering was sound, I've read several good reviews of the Project line, Sumiko has a good reputation, and so I got as much TT as I could afford from my Bro.

Back to the RPM thing - All things being equal, I'd think that the 33 RPM pulley (or motor in my case) would be the better choice. If its spinning faster it'll have greater angular momentum (but if it's smaller (remember my pulleys are on separate motors) a lower moment of inertia, so may be a wash? -Physics was a long time ago). But for each platter rotation, I'd think that the more motor-steps the better. I could be way off, but that's what I'm guessing.

If I hear anything valuable from Sumiko I'll post.

Thanks for the discussion