How to connect to dual subs using preamp L/R line out

redskinsfan

Hey guys, dumb question, but I can't seem to find a specific answer to this specific question anywhere. I plan to use 2 subs in my system and feed them rca line level output from my preamp.  As each sub has L/R line in, would I just run a subwoofer rca cable to the left sub from the L line out of the preamp and a second rca subwoofer cable to the right sub from the R line out of the preamp?  Or is that too easy? :scratch: Would greatly appreciate any and all advice!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: How to connect to dual subs using preamp L/R line out
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2018, 12:52 pm »
That should work just fine.  But always plug into the sub input designated for single channel inputing (should be labeled on back of the sub or refer to owner's manual). 

Note that a subwoofer can't 'know' which channel is being inputed and it doesn't matter anyway as bass frequencies are omni-directional. 

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2018, 04:59 pm »
I would just point out that there is scientific evidence of 'lateralization' in the perception of bass frequencies, particularly with acoustic or orchestral music. I'm a bit hazy on the particulars, but it comes down to the idea that the listener can get a more spacious or realistic sound if bass sources are arranged in stereo. It's not the same as 'localization', and is more subtle, but it may be worth trying stereo sub array if two subs are being used. And since you have L/R outs, it would be an easy experiment.

AJinFla can tell you more if he sees this and is so inclined, as he's the one who hipped me to the concept, and has looked at the research. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2018, 07:04 pm »
I would just point out that there is scientific evidence of 'lateralization' in the perception of bass frequencies, particularly with acoustic or orchestral music. I'm a bit hazy on the particulars, but it comes down to the idea that the listener can get a more spacious or realistic sound if bass sources are arranged in stereo. It's not the same as 'localization', and is more subtle, but it may be worth trying stereo sub array if two subs are being used. And since you have L/R outs, it would be an easy experiment.

AJinFla can tell you more if he sees this and is so inclined, as he's the one who hipped me to the concept, and has looked at the research.

Neeko,

AJ educated me on the subject as well.

This is the page where we were all getting into the nitty gritty fine details: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150264.msg1608173#msg1608173

My NA12's go sufficiently low in frequency (~50Hz in room) that I've stopped worrying about those few classical pieces that I own that may have stereo bass recorded. As you know, I'm a multisub "mono" enthusiast but to each their own; I'm quite sure (if well implemented) a stereo version of the multisub philosophy can be just as inviting. It's funny, I was just texting a colleague of mine about this.

That being said my apologies to the OP since this may be veering off the subject some...

Best,
Anand.

who?me?

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2018, 09:02 pm »
Since I’m starting to get into subs myself, i started a thread a few months back.
One person suggested to use the preAmp out
as you describe, but use “Splitting” or bifurcated RCA cables instead.

Such that there is only one termination on the RCA cable on the Pre end.
But 2 terminations on the RCA cable that goes to the sub, into the R and L channel.
I’m not sure why this may be better, other than higher voltage or gain.

redskinsfan

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2018, 01:24 am »
Thank you gentlemen, for all your expertise. You're a great resource for us beginners!  :thumb:     

neekomax

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2018, 02:39 am »
Thank you gentlemen, for all your expertise. You're a great resource for us beginners!  :thumb:   

You got it brother! The main thing is to try stuff out and see what you like. Report back once you've got your subs hooked up and let us know how it sounds to you.  :D

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2018, 04:07 am »
Since I’m starting to get into subs myself, i started a thread a few months back.
One person suggested to use the preAmp out
as you describe, but use “Splitting” or bifurcated RCA cables instead.

Such that there is only one termination on the RCA cable on the Pre end.
But 2 terminations on the RCA cable that goes to the sub, into the R and L channel.
I’m not sure why this may be better, other than higher voltage or gain.

Yes, Y splitters at the subs is what I use and have had good results. The reason I do this is because the subs' amps (SVS) have an input gain stage. So using a splitter allows use of both the L&R gain stages on each sub. Not all subs are the same (not to mention, preamp output voltages can vary as well), so I suggest checking the manual, reading online, and/or speaking directly with the manufacturer for the best hookup method for your system.

Maynerd

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2018, 07:51 pm »
I have just hooked up two Paradigm Sub 15's  to my Bryston 1.7 preamp single sub RCA out with a RCA splitter.  It seems to work ok, but I am concerned about the additional load on the preamp as well as the potential of under powering the Subs.  This seems to be my only option for two subs.
Is this going to cause a problem?
Should I do something differently? 

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2018, 10:26 pm »
Paradigm Sub15 has 10kOhm load impedance. Parallel two together makes 5kOhm load impedance.
Rule of thumb is the source impedance should be about 1/10th of the load impedance. That would suggest 500 ohms.
Any Bryston preamp will have source impedance that is much lower than 500. Probably more like 50, if not even 5 Ohms.
So, no problem!

Maynerd

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2018, 10:33 pm »
Oh good!
Thanks
It did seem like there could be issues in there somewhere.
It sounds ok......