Great sounding high quality 'kit' phono stages.

felixscerri

Great sounding high quality 'kit' phono stages.
« on: 29 Aug 2016, 08:52 am »
G'day all, being a vinyl record fan mated with a long term interest in DIY I have a lot of DIY MM phono stages over the years from different designs and from complete kits, ranging from very simple dual op designs to experimental transistor and FET designs and all of them are pretty good, but one kit that I built relatively recently was the Akitika 'phonoZ' design full kit which was for me quite a complex op amp design but is incredibly musical yet very good and 'solid' sounding. 

The kit was actually supplied with NE5532 and NE5534 op amps but I opted with use my favourite OPA2134 wherever possible.  I do like the sound of the OPA2134 over the NE553X series.  The Akitika phonoZ has a number of circuit refinements not often seen in typical high quality DIY designs like filtering and input capacitance loading adjustments and a very low noise input circuit.  On the basis of sound quality alone, I consider it one of the best, if not the best DIY moving magnet cartridge phono stages around!  Regards, Felix. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Great sounding high quality 'kit' phono stages.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2016, 09:43 am »
Thanks Felix! To augment your review, how about some pictures and links?  :thumb: We would love to see them.

Best,
Anand.

felixscerri

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2016, 09:56 am »
G'day mate, here you go!  http://www.akitika.com/akitikastore.html#PHONOZ  Regards, Felix. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2016, 10:10 am »
Felix,

Here is the direct link: http://www.akitika.com/PhonoPreamp.html

How about pictures of YOUR OWN kit build? It is the "Lab" forum after all  :wink:

Best,
Anand.

felixscerri

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2016, 10:30 am »
G'day mate, mine is just basically the bare board with connecting wires and RCA sockets!  Nothing fancy.  Regards, Felix.