STA-9

John Casler

Re: STA-9
« Reply #240 on: 8 Oct 2016, 04:06 pm »
I am looking for nuprime amp to feed my Regas speakers.
Could you tell me how the sta 9 sound compared to the nuforce sta-100 and sta-120 ?

In a general sense, the NuFORCE will tend to sound slightly more "clinical" and less "warm".

The term dryer, compared to more liquid might also come to mind.

All three are great amps if matched to complimentary systems.

mrthib

« Reply #241 on: 10 Oct 2016, 08:44 am »
okay, the sta 9 is not far better than the sta 100, it is just "different" ?
It also depend a lot of wich pré amp is working with the amp !

SFDude

« Reply #242 on: 10 Oct 2016, 03:46 pm »
Waiting for my pair of STA-9s from John. Hope to have impressions up after listening to them for a little on both digital and analog sources.

Funny enough, will have a pair of tube amps to compare them to as well so I'll see how "warm" the STA-9s sound in comparison to actual tubes.

-dave

Eisener Bart

« Reply #243 on: 10 Oct 2016, 04:02 pm »
Waiting for my pair of STA-9s from John. Hope to have impressions up after listening to them for a little on both digital and analog sources.

Funny enough, will have a pair of tube amps to compare them to as well so I'll see how "warm" the STA-9s sound in comparison to actual tubes.

-dave

Very interesting to get info regarding such comparison, Dave.

slefley

« Reply #244 on: 10 Oct 2016, 04:17 pm »
I am also using a tube amp and like how it sounds with my system but was intrigued by the STA-9 so tried one.  It does many things very well but is noticeably less transparent than the tube amp.  Can someone with experience with a mono pair let me know if they are significantly more transparent than the stereo version?   Or maybe the TDSS modification?

seikosha

« Reply #245 on: 10 Oct 2016, 04:22 pm »
I've got an STA-9 and a few tube amps to compare it to.  Tonally the STA-9 does sound a bit tube-like in that it's a little softer sounding.  However, there's more to sounding like a tube amp than getting the tonality right.  For me, the magic in tubes is in the dimensionality of the presentation.  With a good tube amp, the imaging really pops.  Sometimes it's even startling and within each image in a soundstage, tubes can really make the images sounding like they are radiating sound in all dimensions.

Good solid state amps can do imaging really well and present images in a soundstage just as good as tubes, but when you compare them to a good tube amp, there's that special aspect of dimensionality that's missing.  Once you hear it, you'll know it.

rustydoglim

« Reply #246 on: 10 Oct 2016, 07:55 pm »
Did you try STA-9 mono or stereo? I agree that if the goal is to 100% mimic tube amp, just using transistors in the design is not enough.
So this is an area of research we are working on.

SFDude

« Reply #247 on: 10 Oct 2016, 10:53 pm »
Good solid state amps can do imaging really well and present images in a soundstage just as good as tubes, but when you compare them to a good tube amp, there's that special aspect of dimensionality that's missing.  Once you hear it, you'll know it.

This is a broad statement that's been mentioned often over the many years of tubes vs SS. I hope this isn't a discussion or comparison about that in particular. I enjoy aspects of both technologies in amplification. There's nothing like a good SS amp to grab your speakers by the balls (sorry for any offense on this statement in light of the recent Election news  :oops: :icon_twisted:) and a very well done tube amp topology can also do it with certain tube types as well.

The question is, seikosha, what do you prefer and in which situations? Imaging and spatiality are probably not what I'm going for while playing electronica (or electronic-based generated music like techno/trance/dubstep) but they are important when playing intimate jazz ensemble music.

seikosha

« Reply #248 on: 11 Oct 2016, 02:01 am »
Overall, I prefer tubes, but I do appreciate what good SS can do.  I've got two systems (1 tube and 1 SS) set up and enjoy going back and forth depending on the mood.

SFDude

« Reply #249 on: 22 Oct 2016, 09:24 am »
Pair of STA-9s delivered!  :D

Stuck overseas in Ireland on a work trip.   :(

Will have to wait until later next week to listen to these and get some impressions up. Thanks John for the delivery and great price on these.  :thumb:

Eisener Bart

« Reply #250 on: 22 Oct 2016, 02:16 pm »

Will have to wait until later next week to listen to these and get some impressions up. Thanks John for the delivery and great price on these.  :thumb:

Cultural shock is granted.  :D

John Casler

« Reply #251 on: 22 Oct 2016, 04:39 pm »
Pair of STA-9s delivered!  :D

Stuck overseas in Ireland on a work trip.   :(

Hi David,

Glad to assist.  Timing is everything.  These should light up your system nicely.

SFDude

« Reply #252 on: 29 Oct 2016, 06:48 pm »
So these are my initial impressions after about 2 hours of firing them up and listening to them, cold out of the box (these were demos from John Casler).

I have the following system:
* PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk II w/Bridge (have owned this for about 4 yrs now)
* Pair of STA-9 monoblocks
* Spatial M3 Turbo S open baffle speakers
* cords/cables not worth mentioning but a little better than stock and not quite Kimber Monocle XL type ones  :P

My current set up is temporary and I'm only able to connect a MacBook Pro directly via USB to the PWD MkII DAC. I'm using Tidal to stream music initially. (I'm too exhausted after work to setup the more serious config currently which consists of my NAS filled with FLAC files converted from my CD collection.)

This is as much a review of the speakers as they are for the STA-9s, the combination of it. The DAC I'm well aware of its nuances, idiosyncracies and limitations of it, although it is extremely good value for the money if you buy it used today!

I use orchestral soundtrack music (a la Hans Zimmer or 2 Steps From Hell style, grand sweeping dramatic orchestral stuff) to usually break in anything. There are enough swings across the frequency spectrum on any of the dramatic ones to test any system.

First word that comes to mind: dynamic. Wow. This combination is NOT slow. It's quick, immediate and full. Highs are crisp and lows are impactful. Mids are slightly recessed initially (I'm a tube guy traditionally) but I suspect (without measuring anything) that I'm listening to frequency response range that is more flatter than what I am used to.

Second word that comes to mind: impactful. The lower registers from the amp driving the speakers, this combination of it, is noticeable. It is not shy. You can feel it when it hits. I never had this with a pair of Martin Logan Aeons I used to have in the past. My current room setup is similar to what I've had in the past as well. But everything on the bass notes went deep and was impactful thus far.

Again, these are initial listening impressions so take these with a grain of salt. I'll know more as I put some mileage on everything and get everything dialed in a little more. Out of the box, with nary anything done in terms of fine tuning, this is going to be a long-term relationship. For better or worse, but, like any marriage, seems worth exploring in the long run. I suspect happier times ahead more than the frustration.  :green:

rustydoglim

« Reply #253 on: 29 Oct 2016, 07:18 pm »
Did anyone (or heard from anyone) ever find that STA-9 bright? I have never heard a single feedback about STA-9 being bright before but got this feedback for the first time. Very puzzling.

seikosha

« Reply #254 on: 29 Oct 2016, 09:09 pm »
Did anyone (or heard from anyone) ever find that STA-9 bright? I have never heard a single feedback about STA-9 being bright before but got this feedback for the first time. Very puzzling.

Bright can be a relative term.  I've got one tube amp that can be pretty dark sounding with some speakers.  If that was the only amp I had and had become accustomed to that sound and it was paired with bright speakers, if I switched in a STA 9, I could see myself saying it was bright.  But then again, most amps would sound bright if introduced in that type of system.

SFDude

« Reply #255 on: 30 Oct 2016, 05:06 pm »

Hope this isn't in reference to my description about the amps' highs as being "crisp". I don't think I meant that to be bright at all.

And no, these aren't bright amps at all. I had a Rotel amp a long long time ago which would take the paint off a car.  :lol:

rustydoglim

« Reply #256 on: 30 Oct 2016, 10:47 pm »
The comment came from a reviewer who likes the IDA-16 but find STA-9 bright, and that's make it so puzzling to me.

Bill_Bill

« Reply #257 on: 16 Jan 2017, 02:28 am »
Had bought 2 x STA 9 at the weekend and connected both in the bridged mode, one side is louder than the other, trying to change over and reconnect all the cables and also check all the switch again and again but still the same that really makes me crazy :( as I call up the dealer and I need to take public transport to bring both amp all the way to the shop for them to check (far away from where I live). Just wandering does anyone has experience with the same problem? and How come this will happen, because of the QC? Thanks!

John Casler

« Reply #258 on: 16 Jan 2017, 02:51 am »
Had bought 2 x STA 9 at the weekend and connected both in the bridged mode, one side is louder than the other, trying to change over and reconnect all the cables and also check all the switch again and again but still the same that really makes me crazy :( as I call up the dealer and I need to take public transport to bring both amp all the way to the shop for them to check (far away from where I live). Just wandering does anyone has experience with the same problem? and How come this will happen, because of the QC? Thanks!

Hi Bill,

Sorry to hear of your issue.  As a dealer, I did have one customer report exactly the same issue.   :scratch:

I had him "check" all his connections and switch settings and the "issue" went away.

I had him CAREFULLY check the following:

1) That the VOLTAGE switch was set properly for the voltage in his area.  In the USA that it 115v.
2) That ALL RCA to XLR switches on the channels were set to the CORRECT input setting
3) That ALL Stereo/Bridged Settings were set to BRIDGED

4) And most importantly that he had read the manual, and looked at the section on how to connect the SPEAKER WIRES when using the bridged mode.

When he performed those tasks again, his issue was solved.  I only hope if you follow those steps that you find that a switch, or wire was in the wrong spot, and you are able to enjoy your STA-9s.

CHECK AND RECHECK. 

Good Luck

Bill_Bill

« Reply #259 on: 16 Jan 2017, 03:13 am »
Thanks for your reply! Actually I have checked all the things you mention but still no goal. As I did follow this forum for awhile and in my case one of the amp is much much louder than the other as the vocal image you can hear is go to the one side and the other side does make sound but much softer, and the amp with soft sound is hot in temp. and the louder amp. is just warm in temp. Any idea? Thanks!