Our these speaker cabinets actually VMPS?

foreste2002

Our these speaker cabinets actually VMPS?
« on: 12 May 2017, 07:08 pm »
Hi...I found the following speakers which seem to be missing the original Woofers and maybe have been modified.  If they are VMPS...what models and are they worth rebuilding.

Thank you...I am getting back into the Vinyl world and currently have a nice pair of Klipsch and a Thorens TT...I love the vintage equipment and the quality of the speaker boxes caught my eye but they don't have a name on them.  The crossover board says Versa-Tronics RDK 24.

Stimpy

Re: Our these speaker cabinets actually VMPS?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2017, 09:37 pm »
Hi,

Welcome to the VMPS Forum!

Now, the speakers; I can't really tell what model they are.  But, in looking at the build, and the crossover, they don't look to me like a speaker designed by Brian.  So, any chance that you can provide a picture of the whole front of the speaker?  That would help.   Once you get some additional pictures posted, maybe owners here can figure something out.

Good luck.

Stimpy

foreste2002

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2017, 10:00 pm »

I don't know if the tweeter was originally mounted on this speaker cabinet although the wiring looks to be for a 3 way.  There is no "tweeter" behind the cover.  Also...someone put in another woofer that obviously wasn't original

Stimpy

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2017, 11:39 pm »
If it is a VMPS speaker, the only thing that Brian offered similar to those, would be the QSO 808.  Though, I'm not sure if a ribbon tweeter was an option for the 808?

Also, something about the design seems familiar.  I feel like I've seen that cabinet style before.  Maybe a kit speaker?  It kind'a looks like an Audio Concepts, Inc. (ACI) speaker.  So, it could be an early Mike Dzurko design?  There's an ACI board here.  It couldn't hurt to check over there either.  Or perhaps it's was something from Zalytron?

DFaulds

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2017, 05:45 pm »
The cabinets are classic Woodstyles that were made in City of Industry California and were probably the most popular pre-made speaker cabinets for hobbyists in the 1980's and maybe early 90's.  They were also used by many smaller speaker manufacturers, inclyuding some Audio Concepts kits.

I still have some 1 cu ft. versions in the basement that I've never used.

PMAT

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2017, 02:00 pm »
They are the same speakers that I've seen at an indoor soccer field my daughter plays at. They have 10 of them. I always thought they were a commercial version of the QSO.