Magnepan 3.7i

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Magnepan 3.7i
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jan 2014, 03:12 pm »
I just thought of something:
it looks like the dealers are getting their 3.7i models in so if anyone is interested perhaps they could see if their local dealer has both a set of 3.7s and the 3.7i's in stock and could hear them side by side.
If you go this route, please report back.  It might help others decide if they wish to pursue the upgrade or not (no details of which are presently available).

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jan 2014, 03:51 pm »
That's interesting. I wonder if the dealers can describe what's different about the 3.7i!!! :oops: :scratch: :green: :thumb:

Gene

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2014, 04:20 pm »
Perhaps one will chime in?
The one comment I heard was orchestras sounded smoother for whatever that's worth.

mr_bill

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2014, 04:40 pm »
A little added smoothness would not be a bad thing in my opinion.

I am using with an NAD M51 and Mark LEvinson 433 - both clear and very detailed and with the 3.7s the sound is almost too detailed/aggressive.  I have moved to tweeters out and not much toe in at all in order to help calm them down a bit.

Any suggestion are welcome!

Hasse

• "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" - FZ
« Reply #24 on: 25 Jan 2014, 11:02 am »
3.7 becomes 3.7i
In past model improvements, driver changes and factory retooling were extensive. It is rare when improvements can be made that are audible in a blind test and do not require a major investment. So, in view of this good fortune, we chose to pass on these small improvements rather than save them for a 3.8.

Will you be able to hear the difference between the 3.7 and 3.7i? Yes, in a careful A-B test, but we don't do sales hype. It is not a 3.8. And for those that have a 3.7, we have some good news.

For the first time in our history, we are able to upgrade your 3.7s at the factory for a modest $500. (That is what you have come to expect from Magnepan---good value.)

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_37

jk@home

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jan 2014, 01:58 pm »
I wonder what the "turn around time" of the mod would be, and if Magnepan could do it on-demand with a walk in visit. So then instead of shipping the panels there, one could make a road trip and hand deliver them.

One of my other hobbies in RVing, and it common practice for some of those folks to drive (and tow) thousands of miles, just to get at the factory warranty work. I wouldn't do it ( due the cost of the diesel only), but others have no problem with the trip.

SwamisCat

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jan 2014, 06:34 pm »
It would be funny if the i designation amounts to something like "razoring" or some other tweeker mod.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 25 Jan 2014, 10:11 pm »
Shipping costs will be the killer for most people.
Too bad they won't offer a DIY version or something that your "local" dealer could take care of.
Anyone here going to be our guinea pig?

Waker

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jan 2014, 06:56 am »
I have heard that the improvement that makes your 3.7 the 3.7i has to do with the frame and a change to its bracing. It was stated the difference can be heard via a side-by-side comparison, but without that, the difference may not be easily detected.  I use a pair of Mye Stands on my 3.6Rs, and I suspect adding those or an equivalent would do as much for your 3.7s as the factory upgrade.  So, it would appear you should not lose sleep over what your 3.7 is lacking.     

andyr

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2014, 10:38 am »
Regardless, I'm sure there will be no meaningful objective information from Wendell regarding this change.

Cheers,

Dave.

Haha - I'd second that!  :icon_lol:

Regards,

Andy

andyr

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jan 2014, 10:39 am »
I have heard that the improvement that makes your 3.7 the 3.7i has to do with the frame and a change to its bracing.

What "bracing"?  (There is none on a stock Maggie!  :P )

Regards,

Andy

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2014, 12:09 pm »
Actually, NO information will be forthcoming other than what is on their web site.

You're being asked to blindly ship your speakers plus $500 for the Mystery Upgrade.
I did my best to find out what the customer's money would be spent on so that people would have a reason to do this and was stonewalled.

I understand the reviews will be glowing.

drummermitchell

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2014, 02:15 pm »
If WAKER is correct then it would be cheaper to keep your Mags at home and order the MYE stands.
No shipping costs or stress from Neanderthal couriers.
Would have to be a huge upgrade before I'd think about shipping mine from Canada.
I also have MYE stands :thumb:.

sfdoddsy

« Reply #33 on: 7 Feb 2014, 01:52 pm »
I'm not sure what Magnepan hope to achieve with this veil of secrecy. There's the 'Super' MMG v regular, the 3.7i, the refusal to send speakers for review to places that will measure them, lack of any measurements on their site, etc etc etc.

It's redolent of snake oil and makes me far less inclined to buy their products (I've previously owned and enjoyed MMGs and 1.7s).

SubieDriver

« Reply #34 on: 7 Feb 2014, 03:13 pm »
It's a shame they're being so secretive, but I understand at least one reason why: If they publish what they've done, they'll suddenly have competitors doing the same thing for cheaper.
Mye & Peter Gunn will probably take the info and incorporate it into their work, reducing the rebuild jobs Magnepan gets.  Not that they need the rebuild jobs to stay in business...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 7 Feb 2014, 03:33 pm »
When I ask the most basic of questions regarding new products I often think of Get Smart and their Cone of Secrecy - both Max and the Chief have it lowered over their heads and can't hear one another.
I would do things differently but it's not my company.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #36 on: 7 Feb 2014, 03:37 pm »
Here's just one of my theories of life!  :thumb:

It's a lot easier to raise someone else's kid than your own.

Gene

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #37 on: 7 Feb 2014, 05:36 pm »
  Perhaps the secrecy is a ploy to gain interest. Think about what the modders offer. A more rigid frame or stand. Now it appears Magnepan woke up or finally realized the biggest fault. I would think this should have been addressed years ago. Cost factor may have had some influence or Magnepan just wanted the mod companies to go away. No one but Magnepan will ever know that. Smoother sound ? The beauty of Maggies for me was their neutrality. Colored ? We will soon find out.
     Now saying all that over the years Magnepan has offered valuable upgrades to their line with great success. So trust in Magnepan has been proven. They will not release a revision unless proven by blind testing. Thanks for that. So if one trusts Magnepan then the revision is a plus.
    The secrecy has its merits just look at the thread. Got everyone talking about it. BRILLIANT !!

charles

Emil

« Reply #38 on: 7 Feb 2014, 06:50 pm »

I see  a total of six 3.7s for sale on Audiogon. Wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Some may be opting to sell off their 3.7s for the new 3.7i figuring after shipping and the cost of the upgrade, they are going to be into it for about a thousand.

Look for a drop in 3.6 prices also.

Minn Mark

« Reply #39 on: 7 Feb 2014, 07:10 pm »
I appreciate the advancements but,.....I love my 3.6's.   Biwired, with original feet, tweets on inside, fed by solid state AVA electronics, spinning vinyl.

Happy listening !

Mark