What equipment have you built recently?

JoshK

Re: What equipment have you built recently?
« Reply #60 on: 17 Jan 2010, 01:33 am »
Long time in the making.  Don't look too hard, you'll find some mistakes....I did learn a great deal.  Crystalac rocks!!  Its now what I'll use for every speaker project.

TrungT

« Reply #61 on: 17 Jan 2010, 01:52 am »
Josh
Look awesome  :thumb:

"mistakes" where ... where
Wish I can build 1/2 that good.  :duh:

mgalusha

« Reply #62 on: 18 Jan 2010, 01:39 am »
Very nice Josh, those babies should move some serious air. How do you like the sound so far?

JoshK

« Reply #63 on: 18 Jan 2010, 02:02 am »
I haven't hooked them up yet.  I know it is hard to believe, but I am not all setup at the moment.  I may pull out the QSC waveguides, put the DE250's on them and rough out a xo in the 1.2khz range but that is a little high for the TD15Xs. 

I did some work on my Abbey clones today.  Getting it all sanded down for the primer coat and then I'll finish them with this pro-audio textured paint I bought that rolls on.  I am thinking of mounting a removeable back on them so I can alternate between quasi cardiod and sealed enclosure. 

I also have the MT waveguides from these, plus the drivers...
http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/hpr/hpr153i.htm

Could possibly work with that, but I am not sure if I have 6 channels of amps working unless it was a hodge podge.  Maybe I could pull my reciever into action.

Wardsweb

« Reply #64 on: 22 Jan 2010, 01:18 pm »
My latest 3886TF chip amp. Simplicity

Wardsweb

« Reply #65 on: 23 Jan 2010, 02:35 am »
A little something for the tube crowd. A battery powered pre.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #66 on: 23 Jan 2010, 02:43 am »
My latest 3886TF chip amp. Simplicity

Any specs available on his little gem? You sure do beautiful diy work.  :notworthy:

Cheers,
Robin

Wardsweb

« Reply #67 on: 23 Jan 2010, 03:05 am »

Any specs available on his little gem? You sure do beautiful diy work.  :notworthy:

Cheers,
Robin

The LM3886 chip is rated at 68 watts. I'm under driving them, so get about 50 watts per chip. It does make a nice little 100 watt amp. Plenty of guts to drive even non-efficient speakers and has a nice crisp high end.

face

« Reply #68 on: 23 Jan 2010, 04:54 am »
A little something for the tube crowd. A battery powered pre.

Very nice!

Wardsweb

« Reply #69 on: 23 Jan 2010, 05:37 am »
Very nice!
Thanks - the cabinet is Brazillian rosewood. The chassis is acrylic. I will be building a larger versioin of the cabinet to mount my new EL34 amp I'm building.

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
Bandpass subs (veneered sonotubes) and class D amp
« Reply #70 on: 27 Jan 2010, 02:01 pm »
I recently finished building these 4th order bandpass subs, which I designed to complement my Geddes Abbeys.

The port opening is at the top end, covered by grill cloth. There is a ¼” layer of cork between the sonotube (14” diameter) and veneer to smooth out the surface and to add some extra dampening. The drivers are B&C 12TBX100s (same as the Abbey woofers) and are mounted vertically with a 4” port and a fairly small front chamber.  Here is a picture of the baffle and port assembly:

I am using a DCX 2496 and external amps to drive them. I built the amps as well using two 2 x 250W modules from Class D Audio.

They sound great… providing a subtle (but deep) foundation for music – but also capable of room-shaking response on movies or bass-heavy music. I have two (bridgeable) channels left on the amp for a third sub, but I haven’t decided what to do for that one yet.

- Doug

JoshK

« Reply #71 on: 27 Jan 2010, 02:09 pm »
Nicely done!  Love the veneer too, is that a mahogany veneer?

TomS

« Reply #72 on: 27 Jan 2010, 02:19 pm »
Doug,

Those look great!  Since those are bandpass can you comment on the tuning in terms of cutoffs and output?

Tom

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
Bandpass subs (veneered sonotubes) and class D amp
« Reply #73 on: 27 Jan 2010, 02:57 pm »
Yes, it's mahogany.

Here is what the response looks like in-room from just the subs. It is averaged across the main listening position; one sub front between the mains and one in the back to the side of the listening position. I also added several narrow bands of EQ to knock down the peaks in the response - the stuff at around 300 hz is ambient noise form my heating system, not port resonance (it was still there with the subs turned off):

and here they are with the Abbeys...  EDIT: I ended up with the following after a bit more optimization work (including phase adjustment, adding a few more PEQ filters in the DCX for the subs, plus a few in my receiver as well for the mains in the 80-200 Hz region; 0.05 octave smoothing). Looks like I can probably get away without a third sub.

« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2010, 12:44 am by DougSmith »

sts9fan

« Reply #74 on: 2 Feb 2010, 12:06 am »
Here is some pics of my Pearl/Xono phono stage

Charles Calkins

« Reply #75 on: 2 Feb 2010, 01:06 am »
NADA!!!
  Leave it to me and for sure I'd screw something up!! Then it would be into the GARBAGE can. I'll stick with buy it plug it in and enjoy!!

Cheers
                                          Charlie

Stuart Cohen

« Reply #76 on: 6 Feb 2010, 02:47 am »
Another LM3886 chip amp; mono-blocks. I'm listening to James Taylor Hourglass on SACD as I submit this post. Simple....... yes, but they sound amazing.

« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2010, 12:20 pm by Stuart Cohen »

Caucasian Blackplate

« Reply #77 on: 18 Feb 2010, 08:24 pm »
Here is a recent phono preamp I did for a friend/customer. 

sts9fan

« Reply #78 on: 18 Feb 2010, 08:41 pm »
very cool.  Can you tell us about it?

eparson

« Reply #79 on: 14 Mar 2010, 04:57 pm »
Here is my Aikido preamp.  It is uses 12AU7 tubes, Antek torrodial transformer and is built on John Broskie's all in one pcb.  The case is aluminum and blood wood, with Knobs by Scott and Thingaknobs.